Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Elective Planning: North America. Questions/Advice Request Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a third year medical student and I'm thinking about planning my elective because I want to get things done early as possible.

My uni do finals at the end of fourth year, after which we have 4-6 weeks in the summer to do an elective. I was considering the US or Canada, which I understand require early applications due to high volume of applicants. I think it would be nice to get a different perspective on things in another developed country, maybe get involved in a bit of research if I'm lucky, and explore somewhere that's very different to my tiny hometown.

I'm interested in getting paeds experience, not sure what kind of paeds specifically. I'd like to keep my options open.

So here are my questions:
    • How difficult is it to get an elective in the US and in Canada?
    • Is it worth me doing Step 1 if I choose to go to the US? I'm considering maybe applying for jobs there after I graduate, so it would help me with that too.
    • Approximately how much money would I need to save up for everything? (flights, accommodation, food, leisure, admin fees etc)
    • Where would be better for paeds - US or Canada?
    • How early in advance would you suggest I start my application?
    • Do I need to get super high grades in my finals or will a pass do?
    • Any other suggestions / advice?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    I'm currently a third year medical student and I'm thinking about planning my elective because I want to get things done early as possible.

My uni do finals at the end of fourth year, after which we have 4-6 weeks in the summer to do an elective. I was considering the US or Canada, which I understand require early applications due to high volume of applicants. I think it would be nice to get a different perspective on things in another developed country, maybe get involved in a bit of research if I'm lucky, and explore somewhere that's very different to my tiny hometown.

I'm interested in getting paeds experience, not sure what kind of paeds specifically. I'd like to keep my options open.

So here are my questions:
    • How difficult is it to get an elective in the US and in Canada?
    • Is it worth me doing Step 1 if I choose to go to the US? I'm considering maybe applying for jobs there after I graduate, so it would help me with that too.
    • Approximately how much money would I need to save up for everything? (flights, accommodation, food, leisure, admin fees etc)
    • Where would be better for paeds - US or Canada?
    • How early in advance would you suggest I start my application?
    • Do I need to get super high grades in my finals or will a pass do?
    • Any other suggestions / advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Just so I've got this right... you're asking about a potential elective in Summer 2019?
    Few things:
    Not every elective in US requires Step 1. There's a list of institutions that don't- having said that, if you plan to apply to jobs in America, then it is something you can consider. I wouldn't take it lightly though- it's a challenging prospect and defines what job/location you end up in. So that's another can of worms.
    For what it's worth most surgical units in US expect a lot from medical students and electives are a challenge. Research kinda depends on your luck as with any placement.
    Costs: Many official elective programs charge you a lot for their electives so that's another thing to consider, this is in addition to flights and accommodation costs.
    Avenues to go down: do you have previous elective reports from your University. Often there's some doctors that take students from a particular university and is happy with them and it essentially becomes an unofficial link.

Can't comment if US or Canada is better for Paeds.
    If you go for official elective programs many have 9 month or 6 month cutoffs for applying.
    Good grades in exams help; you send a copy of your transcript to many US programs.

Canada; generic advice but they expect high standards but everyone says Vancouver is fun.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.