Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i have a bit of a problem.

i have to pick my a level choices soon and i am deliberating over which english subject to choose! (my school doesn't offer straight lang.) i would like to go into a career in fashion, but i would like to choose an english subject as it is one i love and am passionate about.

any advice would be appreciated, thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cielle)

i have to pick my a level choices soon and i am deliberating over which english subject to choose! (my school doesn't offer straight lang.) i would like to go into a career in fashion, but i would like to choose an english subject as it is one i love and am passionate about.

It depends on what exam board your school chooses.
    Currently I am 17 and doing English lit and lang which is awesome as I get a section which includes 20 percent coursework. Even though it's little in a way its still a lot and it's apparently easier than English Lit itself- which is what one one my English teachers actually said.
    I am with Aqa and we are able to take a clean copy of the textbooks for most of the exams/ use them for most of the exam questions.
    There is a lot of reading classic books which may help you if you do coursework.
    I am reading and my exams are based on- The Handmaids tale, The Streetcar named desire, A Paris anthology and Duffy Poems and the Great Gatsby- These were chosen by my English teachers.
    I think for Lit- its a lot lot lot of reading and my English teacher said any text could come up.
    Discuss it with your teachers and choose the one you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautystyle12)
    It depends on what exam board your school chooses.
    Currently I am 17 and doing English lit and lang which is awesome as I get a section which includes 20 percent coursework. Even though it's little in a way its still a lot and it's apparently easier than English Lit itself- which is what one one my English teachers actually said.
    I am with Aqa and we are able to take a clean copy of the textbooks for most of the exams/ use them for most of the exam questions.
    There is a lot of reading classic books which may help you if you do coursework.
    I am reading and my exams are based on- The Handmaids tale, The Streetcar named desire, A Paris anthology and Duffy Poems and the Great Gatsby- These were chosen by my English teachers.
    I think for Lit- its a lot lot lot of reading and my English teacher said any text could come up.
    Discuss it with your teachers and choose the one you prefer.
    Any text? In Literature we read certain books, for example I'm studying 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale (dystopia) then we just compare them based on a question in the paper. It is a lot of reading but come on, it's English! We also have a section with 20% coursework, it's not that difficult considering our teachers are looking over them and giving advice - seems like you're coming across a bit biased here .

Literature is brilliant and it's one of my favourite subjects for sure, very interesting and everything we read about can be linked to our own world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAV_METROBOOMIN)
    Any text? In Literature we read certain books, for example I'm studying 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale (dystopia) then we just compare them based on a question in the paper. It is a lot of reading but come on, it's English! We also have a section with 20% coursework, it's not that difficult considering our teachers are looking over them and giving advice - seems like you're coming across a bit biased here .

Literature is brilliant and it's one of my favourite subjects for sure, very interesting and everything we read about can be linked to our own world.
    This is my opinion, everyone has their own opinions. I tried to help you.
    Personally I find Lit harder than language.

ReputationRep:
    I do english lit/lang and I think it's good because if you're going into english, you may aswell study literature and language and as you said, your're passionate and (depending on your exam board, I do AQA) it's quite balanced so you're not completely focused on english language or only literature. It's good to get an understanding of both and you can apply and link them together which makes it easier in my opinion.

I feel like if you just focus on primarily just literature or just language you'll get bored and by doing both you have more experience.

(Original post by cielle)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.