Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have created some synthetic routes graphics during my revision and thought I would post them here in case anyone else finds them useful

Please let me know if you find any mistakes!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Very nice, but can I suggest a couple of things to think about:

You perhaps should include when/where heating/warming is required, throughout
    Some recognition of secondary alcohol on the 1st one (admittedly it is just the same as AS)
    Acknowledgement of Markovnikov's rule - you go from an alkene to a primary alcohol, which would require ethene as your alkane; a secondary alcohol is the major product with other alkenes.
    Addition polymerisation is missing throughout
    A minor one: alkene + halogen -> dihaloalkane is missing (but again it is just he same as + hydrogen halide)
    It is interesting that you create 2,4,6-tribromophenylamine, rather than the reaction on the specification from phenol - it is correct and better fits your scheme, but...
    Which leads to 'directing effects' are missing

I hope I am not coming across as negative, it is a very good go at it and better than any of my students have ever done. I can't say I have ever done better, either.

If you improve it, I'll have to steal it and pass it off as my own work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Very nice, but can I suggest a couple of things to think about:

You perhaps should include when/where heating/warming is required, throughout
    Some recognition of secondary alcohol on the 1st one (admittedly it is just the same as AS)
    Acknowledgement of Markovnikov's rule - you go from an alkene to a primary alcohol, which would require ethene as your alkane; a secondary alcohol is the major product with other alkenes.
    Addition polymerisation is missing throughout
    A minor one: alkene + halogen -> dihaloalkane is missing (but again it is just he same as + hydrogen halide)
    It is interesting that you create 2,4,6-tribromophenylamine, rather than the reaction on the specification from phenol - it is correct and better fits your scheme, but...
    Which leads to 'directing effects' are missing

I hope I am not coming across as negative, it is a very good go at it and better than any of my students have ever done. I can't say I have ever done better, either.

If you improve it, I'll have to steal it and pass it off as my own work
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I shall definitely use your points and try to improve it soon, especially the conditions As for the alkene to alcohol, the secondary and primary sub-heading was supposed to only be about the distillation and reflux part of the graphic but looking at it again it is slightly unclear. You haven't come across negative at all and have made some helpful points! Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.