Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Happy Sciencebean wants to be Geordie Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm your average sciencebean who doesn't always get the highest grades and has to work to get things to grow big enough to stay in my sieve of brain. I'm fairly new to TSR and a month late to GYG, but I'm interested in joining for motivation and help with Y13, as well as helping me understand how to use this site.

So, I am an aspiring biomedical scientist - at university and as my career- in my second and last year of A levels. Here's a bit of a history lesson...

GCSE
    I achieved 4 A*s (in Maths and the sciences), 2 As (in Spanish and Geography) and 4 Bs (in English language and literature, Sociology and Religious Studies). I struggled and stressed most about my English language, achieving a D in the mock exams before the final exam. I was, however, very happy with my A*s, and surprised by physics.

A Levels
    I decided to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Sociology at AS and have dropped Chemistry for A2.

Predicted Grades
    I'm predicted 3 As at the end of this year, but I personally feel like I'm aiming for A* in Biology, A in Maths and a B in Sociology.

AS Grades
    I was slightly disappointed with my Bs in Biology and Maths and my Cs in Sociology and Chemistry. It didn't reflect where I'd been most of the year. Only my AS Chemistry grade and Maths count, so I'm retaking my C2 Maths module aiming to pull it up to an A, which would increase my UMS and theoretically give me an A at AS.

So...
    This year I'm also doing an EPQ on the future of medical testing; whether animals will ever be free. I'm currently on the research section and I think it's going well.
    I'm really enjoying Biology (I always do) and got an A on a paper 1 of our AS content last week. I feel behind in Maths and it's challenging (I'm doing C3 and M1 at the moment). And Sociology is interesting. My main problem there is making my answers shorter and more concise.

Aside from my subjects,
    • I'm in the process of applying to university. I desperately want to go to Newcastle University and it is my biggest drive for my grades. I'm also looking at Sheffield and Warwick in the Russel group, the 2-3 others like Lincoln. I liked Lincoln.
    • I'm leaning to drive. I can't say I'm the best; I nearly went in to a wall last week.
    • I'm learning British sign language. I don't know why, but it's fun. Perhaps it could come in handy in the future.
    • I'm currently attempting to read The Selfish Gene. I'll let you know what I think. I'm quite slow at reading.

...and I'm generally just happily bumbling through life, eating all the snacks. Want to join my journey? :bear:

ReputationRep:
    How are you finding a levels rn? I'm doing maths and bio too but I continued with chem. What are you applying for? And omg I'm learning how to drive too, I'm not the best but I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle1718)
    How are you finding a levels rn? I'm doing maths and bio too but I continued with chem. What are you applying for? And omg I'm learning how to drive too, I'm not the best but I love it!
    I’m finding them quite good! In the sense that, I have so much work to do all the time but enjoy it a lot too! hehe
    Biology is my favourite by far, I wish I could just do that for my other three A levels. I think it’s fascinating. Maths is one where I just always feel like we’re going too fast!
    How about you? What modules are you doing in maths right now?
    I dropped Chemistry just because I really enjoyed Sociology and I thought it was my most difficult subject.
    I’ll be applying for BSc biomedical science. *fingers crossed* and you?

I’m loving driving too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sciencebean17)
    I’m finding them quite good! In the sense that, I have so much work to do all the time but enjoy it a lot too! hehe
    Biology is my favourite by far, I wish I could just do that for my other three A levels. I think it’s fascinating. Maths is one where I just always feel like we’re going too fast!
    How about you? What modules are you doing in maths right now?
    I dropped Chemistry just because I really enjoyed Sociology and I thought it was my most difficult subject.
    I’ll be applying for BSc biomedical science. *fingers crossed* and you?

I’m loving driving too!
    It's the same for me I love biology and maths, maths just feels a bit too rushed sometimes. I kept with chem because I was only taking 3 so I couldn't really drop it. I definitely think it's the most difficult a level and I'm working on it so much rn
    I was going to apply to biomedical science!! Since I've applied for dentistry i was going to choose that as my insurance but I ended up choosing optometry at Cardiff instead. I really loved Newcastle when I went to the open day though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm finally writing a second post; I am the Queen of Procrastination, welcome to my kingdom!
    I'm actually so confused of how to use this site correctly. I hope I actually am making another post! :dontknow:
    I guess this post is mainly a trial, to see if I actually know what I'm doing. Do you just reply on your thread? How do I even find my thread?

I'm currently towards the end of my half term break and how much have I got done so far...? Not a lot. I've done one piece of maths homework (out of 3) and written up my notes for the chapter on photosynthesis in biology. I've only done any work on Monday evening and this afternoon.
    I've been feeling quite unmotivated, which is not the best! I have an enormous to do list and not much is being ticked off. I do have 3 days left where I want to use my time effectively and get stuff done. I do work best under pressure. I may update on that, show you a lil' picture of my cosy study corner.

I'm also getting myself prepared to send of my university application as I'm hoping I'll have finished everything I have to do by the end of next week! It's rather stressing me out that I don't know where I want to apply completely. I know I'm applying at Newcastle, Warwick and Sheffield. My final two options are available to Nottingham Trent, Sunderland, De Montfort, Northumbria, Liverpool John Moores or Lincoln. If anyone has any insight on any of these universities, please enlighten me.

So, you're probably wondering what I've been wasting my time on. Most definitely Stranger Things. That was amazing...and now it's the long wait for the next 'season'. Hopefully I'll actually do some work in the waiting period. :ashamed:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.