Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is computer science hard if you know nothing about coding
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am studying Computing Science at Scottish Higher level having never done it before and I'm getting on just fine. Sure, there has been a little extra work I've had to do to catch up with the others in the class but as for the coding side, I haven't found it too difficult. When I did find it difficult it was something that was new for everyone in the class so it's not as if I just didn't know because it was a new concept for everyone.
    Honestly, if you work hard I don't think you'll have much bother.
    Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmANerdOkay?)
    Hi, I am studying Computing Science at Scottish Higher level having never done it before and I'm getting on just fine. Sure, there has been a little extra work I've had to do to catch up with the others in the class but as for the coding side, I haven't found it too difficult. When I did find it difficult it was something that was new for everyone in the class so it's not as if I just didn't know because it was a new concept for everyone.
    Honestly, if you work hard I don't think you'll have much bother.
    Hope this helped
    Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Computer Science as an A level and I did it in GCSE. When I first started most of the class weren't sure what to expect. No one knew how to code so everyone starts from scratch. It is also useful to note that not all of it is on code, most of what you learn is theory.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing OCR Computer Science 9-1. Honestly, it isn't bad or hard, pretty much the same as every other subject. For me, there is 2 exams and 1 NEA. The NEA is where you code however DO NOT stress because a lot of the marks are from your analysis and written work. You even get marks for sensible variable names. My teacher did coding with us all through year 10 and learning the theory side at the same time. If you really want, just google videos, download whatever you use to code with (I used Python) and start coding simple and get progressively harder. The tests aren't too difficult there is a few things to remember but you can get a revision guide to help you. The NEA is only a small fraction of the overall GCSE so do not worry about the code because you will learn it and get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. For your 20% coursework (NEA) most of the marks are based on your writeup, not your code. I can't remember what it was at GCSE, but at Alevel it's something like only 15/70 marks is based on your actual code.

ReputationRep:
    What about math ? I also thinking to study Computer Science in the future I'm pretty good at coding I've already written my small applications on JavaScript and I also good at algebra it is just enjoyable for me but I don't know anything about Calculus or Liniar Algebra so will it be a problem for me ? Or am I going to learn about that in the university ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 262527)
    Is computer science hard if you know nothing about coding
    Not at all. They teach you how to program on the course most likely. With the course that I am taking now, AQA CS GCSE, there is a built in module for Python Programming. I'm sure that other exam boards out their provide the same thing. If you're looking into A-Level though, I'm pretty sure that they teach C++ / C# as a module. With that, I would say that you would need some programming knowledge behind you (including some of the complicated stuff, such as polymorphism, inheritance, memory manipulation and extended data types).

My Advice:

Take the CS Course that you are looking at, but on the side, make sure that you are looking into the programming behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProgrammerC)
    What about math ? I also thinking to study Computer Science in the future I'm pretty good at coding I've already written my small applications on JavaScript and I also good at algebra it is just enjoyable for me but I don't know anything about Calculus or Liniar Algebra so will it be a problem for me ? Or am I going to learn about that in the university ?
    You only learn abt that stuff at university, although it comes up in maths / further maths a level .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProgrammerC)

Nope. Maths on comes into it on a very basic level (the stuff you know). A few equations pop up here and there, but nothing that's not simple. At A-Level, mathematics will play a key role in what you do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.