The Student Room Group

Midwifery - workload

Hello,

I'm planning to apply for Midwifery, 2018 intake... I have two little children and I'm just trying to envisage the amount of work needed when on the course.

When they say that lectures are 9.30 till 4.30, does it mean it's solid 7 hours of contact time or is it more flexible. Is reading and writing included in timesheets? Or is that on top of all the lectures?

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this!

Thanks!
Original post by Peggy3
Hello,

I'm planning to apply for Midwifery, 2018 intake... I have two little children and I'm just trying to envisage the amount of work needed when on the course.

When they say that lectures are 9.30 till 4.30, does it mean it's solid 7 hours of contact time or is it more flexible. Is reading and writing included in timesheets? Or is that on top of all the lectures?

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this!

Thanks!

Yes, this does mean you will have contact time for the full period. You will have a break for lunch and possibly a break in the morning/afternoon depending on your lecturers. You will have fewer lectures and more self-directed study as you progress through the degree.

Any sort of additional reading or assignments you are required to complete will be on top of this.

When you are on placement, you will be required to follow the shifts of your mentor, which you should find out 1-2 weeks in advance (apart from sickness and last minute shift swaps).
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Yes, this does mean you will have contact time for the full period. You will have a break for lunch and possibly a break in the morning/afternoon depending on your lecturers. You will have fewer lectures and more self-directed study as you progress through the degree.

Any sort of additional reading or assignments you are required to complete will be on top of this.

When you are on placement, you will be required to follow the shifts of your mentor, which you should find out 1-2 weeks in advance (apart from sickness and last minute shift swaps).

Thank you, this is very informative! Just what I wanted to hear :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest