The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Core Mathematics C3 6665 01 - 19 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loginrunner
How's everyone revising for this exam? What would be the best way to revise for C3 because the earlier papers are way too easy, I get A's or A*'s in the early ones but these recent ones in 2016 and 2017 seem much more difficult.

IAL papers. It's a little late for you to do all at this point, but you can still get plenty done
Don’t know if you already know. There’s an app for IOS that finds the UMS of all papers up to 2014. Just handy to have that’s all.
Original post by HomeworkHater
Cos2A= 2 cos^2A -1
Cos2A= 1-2sin^2A
Cos2A= cos^2A -sin^2A
Sin2A= 2sinAcosA
You wont need to learn the tan ones, just use the sin and cos for it

In fact, you don’t need to memories these. Just understand how they are derived.
Reply 43
Original post by Kirarater
In fact, you don’t need to memories these. Just understand how they are derived.

I disagree. For students aiming for a high grade, it's very important to be familiar with these so you can spot patterns and be able to choose the best identity. Students who have done enough questions usually know them off-by-heart without having to learn them.

E.g. if you have sinxcosx\sin x \cos x in a question you can recognise that this is similar to 2sinxcosx2\sin x \cos x so sinxcosx=12sin2x\sin x \cos x = \frac{1}{2}\sin 2x.

It's also important to be familiar with the different cos2x\cos 2x forms so that you can choose the best one to use in your question.
Is anyone else struggling with trig identities?
Original post by loginrunner
How's everyone revising for this exam? What would be the best way to revise for C3 because the earlier papers are way too easy, I get A's or A*'s in the early ones but these recent ones in 2016 and 2017 seem much more difficult.

Bronze silver gold papers. Because the exam is on tuesday, I’d start at the high end of the silver papers or the low end of the Gold
They get harder as you go along so you can prep for them for the exam just incase
Who is ready?

Got any tips?

Gonna start with the past papers soon. I wanna do an easy one and then move onto the June 2016/2017 normal ones and then their IAL ones. after that, tomorrow is just a few Solomons and the BSG ones (bronze, silver gold) I'm kinda starting late because I've been lazy and had other exams.

Anyone else properly starting late?
Any help would be much appreciated.
First time on this website, and i see so many people crying about c3. c3 is so ****ing easy. c4 is the hard one. I havent done c4 in a month, ive forgotten so much. I have only one day to revise for this exam a day before I have chem paper 3. any predictions for c4 boys and girs.
Original post by big_mac2000
First time on this website, and i see so many people crying about c3. c3 is so ****ing easy. c4 is the hard one. I havent done c4 in a month, ive forgotten so much. I have only one day to revise for this exam a day before I have chem paper 3. any predictions for c4 boys and girs.

Yh c3 is easy when you've revised it often but some of us haven't touched c3 in like a month and last years 2017 paper was quite hard :s-smilie: How are you revising for c3 ? Same i have one day to revise to coz of chemistry:frown:
Original post by big_mac2000

‘So many people complaining about C4. C4 is ****ing easy’

Revise what you don’t like and that’ll be on the exam.
Original post by nisha.sri
Yh c3 is easy when you've revised it often but some of us haven't touched c3 in like a month and last years 2017 paper was quite hard :s-smilie: How are you revising for c3 ? Same i have one day to revise to coz of chemistry:frown:

Like just smack all the edexcel gold papers. then do like previous 5 years of past papers. after that you should be set. if your still not confident do solomon. you see theres no ****ing trick. just know how to attempt the paper. you know. after that its up to destiny. good luck,
Reply 51

cannot agree more.

if you ACTUALLY think about it, both exams are easy to an extent. Just do your thing and don't muck up on little adding and subtracting.

Generally maths methods are always the same, just adjust to each problem. But generally they're the same!

If you know the methods, just don't mess up on basic GCSE bidmas and log laws and little things like that, thats where people lose the most marks, assuming that they know the methods (in my opinion). And, its about how people interpret the question, read it carefully. The only reason i can think of Edexcel possibly making this trickier is by their structuring of words, but methods generally the same.

LETSSS SMASH THIS GUYS!... Motivation :smile:

suck your fat mum. c4 is hella hard. nearly all of it is ****ing integration which you have to memorise.
Original post by HomeworkHater
Bronze silver gold papers. Because the exam is on tuesday, I’d start at the high end of the silver papers or the low end of the Gold
They get harder as you go along so you can prep for them for the exam just incase

can you please send me a link of these papers?
btw have u done all the edexcel past papers that ure doing those other ones or what ?
1)Can someone explain to me how do u find the range / domain for eqn like this eg. (3+x)/(x+1)
2) June 2013 paper ex. 3 part a) how are we supposed to know that sin50=cos40 when they say without using a calculator?
Reply 55
Original post by Sara Duro
1)Can someone explain to me how do u find the range / domain for eqn like this eg. (3+x)/(x+1)
2) June 2013 paper ex. 3 part a) how are we supposed to know that sin50=cos40 when they say without using a calculator?

1) the range would be f(x) equal or greater than 3 (IF x is any real value) if x doesn't have a equal inequality sign in it then f(x) would be only greater than 3. Varies per question. You would basically look at the original graph and then look how much y moved up or down by BUT depending on the question, x would affect the y on where the graph could be placed.

2) just input sin50 and cos40 into the calculator and as you know that both values are the same, you can just takeaway or add the terms you found. but write the value of cos40 or sin50, As cos40 or sin50 - if that made sense? So, if you have 5cos40 (- takeaway -) 2sin50, you'll have 3cos40 OR you could have 3sin50 (because they're the same value, the only difference is 40 and 50 and whether its a sin or cos.). You can use the calculator to see if they equal but not use the actual value of sin50/cos40 in your answer.

Hopefully i explained it well enough :s-smilie:
(edited 5 years ago)
To help me with Integration and with the questions in general, I absolutely destroyed the Solomon Worksheets in PMT. I found it really useful. They prepare you for the worst and ngl, I feel like I could do any question that comes up because of them. But because we a bit short of time, I'd say stick to the past questions and then the Gold Papers.

I neeeeed an A so I hope this goes well for me, coz D1 was a gift from the gods above gods.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-core-4/solomon-worksheets/
(edited 5 years ago)
hi guys why is it that if a function equals to its inverse then f(x) = x?
Reply 58
Original post by Iconic_panda
hi guys why is it that if a function equals to its inverse then f(x) = x?

One way is to think graphically : inverse functions are reflections of the original function in the line y=x so the only place that a function and its inverse can intersect is on the line y=x.
ohh right so it can be either f(x)=x or f^-1(x)=x right?
also would ff^-1(x) be just x?
Original post by Notnek
One way is to think graphically : inverse functions are reflections of the original function in the line y=x so the only place that a function and its inverse can intersect is on the line y=x.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending