Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IssyCon's journey to A*A*A* Watch

ReputationRep:
    About me: I am hoping to study medicine, preferably at Newcastle (at their absolutely gorgeous campus ), if I can get AAA this year. I have recently been diagnosed with depression, which will probably make things a little bit harder, but hopefully I can still get there.
    GCSEs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A*s in methods in maths, applications of maths, further maths, chemistry, biology and physics
    As in english literature, english language, french, geography, latin
    C in product design

AS levels:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    As in biology, chemistry, maths and physics

Predicted grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maths-A*
    Chemistry-A*
    Biology-A
    EPQ-A

Unis applied to (and their decisions)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Newcastle-medicine
    Liverpool-Medicine
    Southampton-Medicine
    Sheffield-Medicine
    Sheffield-Biomaterials science and engineering

Outside of school, I enjoy running, cycling and swimming and have participated in several triathlons. I also love reading, teach swimming voluntarily and volunteer in a hospice in the holidays. As a result, I feel like I am constanly rushing around and do not have much free time.
    I will try to update this GYG weekly, but may not always be able to.

ReputationRep:
    So today, we got our results for our first biology test this year back, and I was very happy to find out that I got an A*. Having felt pretty low when I did the test and being slightly worried that I hadn't done enough revision, finding out my result was a great relief. However, the grade boundaries were very low (only 60% for an A*!), so overall I felt there was a lot of room for improvement in my score (71%).
    Tomorrow, I have a chemistry test, for which I have completed the sheets and past exam questions that our teacher gave us, but am still slightly worried about not having done that much revision. However, bake off is on, so I'm just going to see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IssyCon)
    So today, we got our results for our first biology test this year back, and I was very happy to find out that I got an A*. Having felt pretty low when I did the test and being slightly worried that I hadn't done enough revision, finding out my result was a great relief. However, the grade boundaries were very low (only 60% for an A*!), so overall I felt there was a lot of room for improvement in my score (71%).
    Tomorrow, I have a chemistry test, for which I have completed the sheets and past exam questions that our teacher gave us, but am still slightly worried about not having done that much revision. However, bake off is on, so I'm just going to see how it goes.
    Well done on your biology!! Good luck on the chem
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle1718)
    Well done on your biology!! Good luck on the chem
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    19/10/17: So today we got our chemistry results back. I managed to get an A* in this (92%), which I was pretty happy with. I dropped most of my marks on redox equations, so I intend to go over these soon. I have also written another paragraph for objective 4 of my EPQ, have started to do my bibliography for the EPQ and have done some questions out if the textbook for mechanics 1 and have finished off some core 3 textbook questions. My last few questions have been pretty hectic, between fitting in my schoolwork and sport and trying to find time to watch Bake Off/ Apprentice, but next week is half term week, so a good opportunity to catch up on some work that needs doing and consolidate some topics.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20171019_200303710.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  502.1 KB
    I'm currently in the process of writing up my chemistry notes for a test on the chapter polymers of life (I'm on OCR B salters exam board).

ReputationRep:
    To incorporate past papers into my revision, I have made a past paper chart, as I have found them a really useful way of making sure I do a couple of past paper questions for all of my subjects every day. I did one last year and found it a useful tool to motivate myself (the power of stickers!), so thought I would repeat it this year.
    My mood has also been all over the place recently and I have crashed and burnt this afternoon. I hope it gets better for tomorrow, so I can get out of this rut and stop crying.Name:  1508617241924425526679.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  499.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    The last few days have been quite hectic, as I have been trying to prepare for my theory test, medical school interviews (I know it's early), complete my EPQ and do enough revision for the tests after half term.
    I have made good progress with my extended project, but I am worried it may be a bit short. I have finished objective 4 and have just started objective 5 (I have 7 in total) and am only on about 3000 words so far and I may have to revisit some of the earlier objectives.
    On top of this, I have revisited over the response unit for biology, having completed all the questions out of the textbook. I have also probably been watching a few too many episodes of how I met your mother, but it is probably better to not mention that.

ReputationRep:
    I like your past paper chart idea, I might start that just so I can keep track of everything. Well done on chem!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IssyCon)
    The last few days have been quite hectic, as I have been trying to prepare for my theory test, medical school interviews (I know it's early), complete my EPQ and do enough revision for the tests after half term.
    I have made good progress with my extended project, but I am worried it may be a bit short. I have finished objective 4 and have just started objective 5 (I have 7 in total) and am only on about 3000 words so far and I may have to revisit some of the earlier objectives.
    On top of this, I have revisited over the response unit for biology, having completed all the questions out of the textbook. I have also probably been watching a few too many episodes of how I met your mother, but it is probably better to not mention that.
    Hi
    I've just started Year 12 having taken A Levels in English Literature, History, Biology and Spanish, and seeing posts like this from people who are so motivated is really inspirational in what are admittedly 2 crazy and hectic years of one's life. Good luck with your A Levels and I hope you get to where you want to go, and even if things don't work out exactly as planned, you seem really hardworking so I'm sure you'll be fine regardless. I'm sorry about your depression - if you're ever feeling down make sure you speak with someone about it and good luck for the future!

ReputationRep:
    i’m really interested to see how your gyg develops, i’m in year 10 and i’ve struggled a lot recently with anxiety, and i’d like to do medicine so i suppose we’re kind of similar?¿ - i actually also do swim coaching/volunteering and i’m hoping to get my level 1 qualification soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyapoundall02)
    i’m really interested to see how your gyg develops, i’m in year 10 and i’ve struggled a lot recently with anxiety, and i’d like to do medicine so i suppose we’re kind of similar?¿ - i actually also do swim coaching/volunteering and i’m hoping to get my level 1 qualification soon!
    That's really exciting for you. I had a job as a swimming teacher for 6 months, but couldn't manage it with the time taken to do everything else, so I quit it and now just teach volunterily. Level 1 is such a useful qualification to have and swimming teachers are always in demand. I suppose we are quite similar and I hope that you can get on top of your anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricinfo)
    Hi
    I've just started Year 12 having taken A Levels in English Literature, History, Biology and Spanish, and seeing posts like this from people who are so motivated is really inspirational in what are admittedly 2 crazy and hectic years of one's life. Good luck with your A Levels and I hope you get to where you want to go, and even if things don't work out exactly as planned, you seem really hardworking so I'm sure you'll be fine regardless. I'm sorry about your depression - if you're ever feeling down make sure you speak with someone about it and good luck for the future!
    Thank you for the support and I will make sure to talk to somebody if I feel down. Good luck with your A levels and for the future and make sure to put the work in for biology.

ReputationRep:
    So I am back at school after a week of 1/2 term and I have got so much work to do.
    I have made good progress with my extended project, having written about 3800 words so far, although I still have 2 objectives that I need to complete and a few changes that I would like to make.
    I also have a few tests (a biology test, a chemistry test and a maths test) coming up, which I have done some revision for.
    I did manage to stick to my past paper chart, every day bar one and have written out all my notes for chemistry, as well as completing all of the summary questions and revisiting some of th biology.
    Other than that we have mock exams at Christmas, so I need to make sure that I am ready for all those.
    Watching 2 seasons of how I met your mother in the half term holidays hasn't helped me either.
    Oh well, c'est la vie.

ReputationRep:
    I have been in hospital for a few days and so haven't been able to update this blog, but I have finally been discharged. So tomorrow, I have a test on core 3, for which I haven't done enough revision for. I have managed to make good progress on my extended project (I'm on about 4700 words so far, although I would like to edit some of my objectives a bit). In chemistry we are covering NMR, which I am finding very challenging and so will have to go over, but otherwise I am doing well.

ReputationRep:
    Today we got our biology back and I got an A (85%). Because there was not much content tested, the grade boundaries were quite high. I am slightly disappointed that I couldn't do better to be honest and there was a very stupid mistake that I made in one of the questions that meant I missed out on the A*. I have also done a test on core 3 that we get back on Thursday, while the mechanics mock will be next week as well.
    Since I have been out of hospital, my mood has been much better. I feel I am (just about) coping with all the stress on me and the pressure I put on myself.
    I still haven't heard back from any of my university choices, so I am very nervous in that respect, especially as some of my friends have got all of their offers back (although they are not applying for medicine.)

ReputationRep:
    So it's been quite a busy weekend, but I have still managed to fit revision time into my schedule. We got our core 3 tests back and I got 94% (an A), which I was happy with. Some of the mistakes I made were quite embarrassing (2/3 is not 1.5), but I cannot complain too much. From doing some AS biology in class, I realise that I really need to go over some of the content again, so I will be working that into my revision. Luckily, we have got the year 1 revision past paper packs that our teacher made for us.

Submit reply
Updated: November 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.