Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1291 - National Health Service (Non- elective surgery) Act 2017 Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    B1291 - National Health Service (Non- elective surgery) Act 2017, The Hon Hazzer1998 MP

[IMG]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/yCxPS"><a href="//imgur.com/yCxPS"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

National Health Service (Non-elective surgery) Bill 2017

An Act to charge patients for non-elective surgery available on the NHS

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows: —

(1)Non elective Surgery

1) Non- elective surgery shall be defined as “An operation that is not required to save a life or needed to be performed in an urgent or emergency basis”

(2)Types of Surgery

1) Patients shall be required to pay for non-elective surgery including
    (i) IVF
    (ii) Gastric band
    (iii) Gender reassignment
    (iv) Cosmetic Surgery
    (v) Abortion
    (vi) Laparoscopic surgery (Unless required to save a life or needed in a medical emergency)
    (vii) Orthopaedic & Trauma operations ((Unless required in a medical emergency)
    (viii) Ophthalmology operations (Unless required in a medical emergency)
    (ix) Cardiac/Thoracic/ Cardiothoracic operations (Unless required in a medical emergency)
    2) The does not included
    (i) Cancer treatment operations
    (ii) Any operation to remove a tumour
    (iii) Amputation
    (iv) Any type of Brain, Head or Neck Surgery
    (v) Transplant operations

(3)Cost and funding

(i) The Department for Health reverses the right to set a price for the operations listed above
    (ii) Revenue raised from the operations will be made available for use in the NHS Budget

(4)Commencements , extent and short title

(1) This Act may be cited as the National Health Service (Non- elective surgery) Act 2017
    (2) This Act comes into force on the 1st of January 2018

Notes

Spoiler:
    Show

The NHS preformed tens of thousands of unnecessary operations each year and it is costing the NHS and taxpayers. With the NHS coming under increased pressure it is right that patients should pay for operations that are preformed on a non elective way.
    The Bill does not extend to cancer treatment operations or operations that are needed to remove a tumour , amputation or any operation on the head,brain and neck. Hence theses operations will still be funded by the NHS
    Sources
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7786626.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...cebo-andy-carr
    http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2003report/...ads/03_s07.pdf

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So who ****ed up the formatting?

ReputationRep:
    Make it so that gender reassigment is provided in any case where it is deemed necessary by a Doctor (say, if gender dysphoria is apparent) and abortions are not included. Then you'll have an Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, neither abortion nor preventative surgery for medical conditions should be included in the list of surgeries charged for. It is cheaper for the NHS to use preventative surgery on conditions than waiting for the conditions to cause life-threatening situations needing emergency surgery; this is true in the for laparoscopic, orthopaedic, ophthalmology, and cardiothoracic treatments. And including cosmetic surgery needs defining because some cosmetic surgery should be free, for instance, cosmetic surgery to make a burn victim look more normal.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Make it so that gender reassigment is provided in any case where it is deemed necessary by a Doctor (say, if gender dysphoria is apparent) and abortions are not included. Then you'll have an Aye.
    I am shocked that a member would be happy to have gender reassignment surgery be free but not be happy to have pacemakers, coronary angioplasty, and stent surgery given for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    No, neither abortion not preventative surgery for medical conditions should be included in the list of surgeries charged for. It is cheaper for the NHS to use preventative surgery on conditions than waiting for the conditions to cause life-threatening situations needing emergency surgery; this is true in the for laparoscopic, orthopaedic, ophthalmology, and cardiothoracic treatments. And including cosmetic surgery needs defining because some cosmetic surgery should be free, for instance, cosmetic surgery to make a burn victim look more normal.
    This pretty much sums up my views on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I am shocked that a member would be happy to have gender reassignment surgery be free but not be happy to have pacemakers, coronary angioplasty, and stent surgery given for free.
    I'm pretty sure those are still provided for free, unless I'm missing something.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    I'm pretty sure those are still provided for free, unless I'm missing something.
    Those surgeries would not be offered because they would not be a medical emergency; this bill bans all surgeries if the patient is not having an emergency.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, neither abortion not preventative surgery for medical conditions should be included in the list of surgeries charged for. It is cheaper for the NHS to use preventative surgery on conditions than waiting for the conditions to cause life-threatening situations needing emergency surgery; this is true in the for laparoscopic, orthopaedic, ophthalmology, and cardiothoracic treatments. And including cosmetic surgery needs defining because some cosmetic surgery should be free, for instance, cosmetic surgery to make a burn victim look more normal.
    ^^ I agree with this; whilst it would be nice to augment the NHS budget, preventative surgery, abortion, and IVF (in the correct circumstances - i.e. fiscally and emotionally stable family) should be free, as well as cosmetic surgery in instances of mass skin trauma - 'look more normal' probably isn't the correct phrase to use but the underlying meaning remains.

ReputationRep:
    Those surgeries would not be offered because they would not be a medical emergency; this bill bans all surgeries if the patient is not having an emergency.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, this is just a bit of a mess to be honest, as various members have already pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    No, neither abortion nor preventative surgery for medical conditions should be included in the list of surgeries charged for. It is cheaper for the NHS to use preventative surgery on conditions than waiting for the conditions to cause life-threatening situations needing emergency surgery; this is true in the for laparoscopic, orthopaedic, ophthalmology, and cardiothoracic treatments. And including cosmetic surgery needs defining because some cosmetic surgery should be free, for instance, cosmetic surgery to make a burn victim look more normal.
    I agree with the honourable gentleman, this sums up what think about the bill.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Cosmetic surgery shouldn't be provided and I'm on the border on IVF, but the rest of the mentioned procedures should be. The drafting is poor and risks misinterpretation under the ejusdem generis rule.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I shall make changes for a second reading. Gender reassignment will be funded provided a case of gender dysphoria is present. And as many have pointed out I shall change the bill to fund cosmetic surgery to save / improve the quality of life i.e if a patients has life changing burns etc

ReputationRep:
    I like the sentiment but it simply doesn't go far enough - I would request that Hazzer withdraws and waits on the much more comprehensive Libertarian Healthcare Bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I like the sentiment but it simply doesn't go far enough - I would request that Hazzer withdraws and waits on the much more comprehensive Libertarian Healthcare Bill.
    Hear, hear
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    abstain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I shall make changes for a second reading. Gender reassignment will be funded provided a case of gender dysphoria is present. And as many have pointed out I shall change the bill to fund cosmetic surgery to save / improve the quality of life i.e if a patients has life changing burns etc
    Just to let you know that change with gender reassignment is exactly what the existing policy already is: you'd just be enshrining it into law. There's no realistic prospect of the NHS offering reassignment surgery to people who aren't diagnosed with gender dysphoria in the foreseeable future and there's already an extremely lengthy process to make sure it's something the individual needs and that it's overwhelmingly likely to significantly improve their quality of life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Making Abortion something only accessible to the rich? Nay nay nay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.