Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study biosciences at Uni. Surrey seems like the best. Ranked 6th in the country for bioscience. Graduate prospects really high ,great location, really good placements and exchange programmes, has TEF gold. The problem i went to an open day and really didn't like the campus. Do you think this should effect my choice or I am just bring picky.as was going to be my first choice but I am really not sure now
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory0007)
    I want to study biosciences at Uni. Surrey seems like the best. Ranked 6th in the country for bioscience. Graduate prospects really high ,great location, really good placements and exchange programmes, has TEF gold. The problem i went to an open day and really didn't like the campus. Do you think this should effect my choice or I am just bring picky.as was going to be my first choice but I am really not sure now
    Apply anyway. If you get an offer, visit the campus again. You might find that on a different day you prefer it. It also might help if you think about what you didn't like, and try to work out how much of a problem it will be. You'll be spending most of your time in lectures, accommodation, and pub. So if it's just that the campus is ugly and lacks trees, that's not a major issue. You won't really be spending time just looking at the scenery. Or you might be able to pick different accommodation to avoid the ugly bits.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Apply and then visit at a later day. Try to visit on a "normal" day where the university is standard. Then you will be able to see the university as clearly as possible.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rory0007,

Sorry to hear you didn't like the campus! What aspects didn't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? Don't worry, I won't take offence I went to Surrey as well, and while some bits of campus weren't my favourite, other areas made up for it (especially the gorgeous lake and green space!) but you might not feel this way and that's ok too! The most important thing is whether or not you think you'd be happy living at the university you're hoping to attend. Of course, the campus makes up some of that, but course content and things like clubs/societies, location, safety and other things like ease of getting around also come into play.

While we'd love to have you at Surrey, if you don't think you'd enjoy your time here then obviously we can't force you to attend haha! You've got to do what's best for you. If you're certain you wouldn't enjoy doing a degree at Surrey then it might be best to firm another uni where you think you'd be happier.

Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions about Surrey I'm happy to answer them - I was a student here from 2012-2015

All the best,
    Ashley

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=University of Surrey;74165954]Hey Rory0007,

Sorry to hear you didn't like the campus! What aspects didn't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? Don't worry, I won't take offence I went to Surrey as well, and while some bits of campus weren't my favourite, other areas made up for it (especially the gorgeous lake and green space!) but you might not feel this way and that's ok too! The most important thing is whether or not you think you'd be happy living at the university you're hoping to attend. Of course, the campus makes up some of that, but course content and things like clubs/societies, location, safety and other things like ease of getting around also come into play.

While we'd love to have you at Surrey, if you don't think you'd enjoy your time here then obviously we can't force you to attend haha! You've got to do what's best for you. If you're certain you wouldn't enjoy doing a degree at Surrey then it might be best to firm another uni where you think you'd be happier.

Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions about Surrey I'm happy to answer them - I was a student
    (Original post by University of Surrey)
    Hey Rory0007,

Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions about Surrey I'm happy to answer them - I was a student here from 2012-2015

All the best,
    Ashley
    I've reliesed it doesn't matter about some parts of the campus not looking that nice as everything else is perfect so I'm going to put it down, thanks 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rory0007;74204766]
    (Original post by University of Surrey)
    Hey Rory0007,

Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions about Surrey I'm happy to answer them - I was a student

I've reliesed it doesn't matter about some parts of the campus not looking that nice as everything else is perfect so I'm going to put it down, thanks 😊
    No worries! Best of luck with your application

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.