Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IM addicted to a virtual gaming site watch

I play it everyday, I just can't get enough of it. I have no real friends, I miss university and lectures! I sleep very late. How can I change my life around? I am so addicted to this chatting game. I feel so unproductive! When I stop playing it, i feel tired and bored.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should delete your account. Try to spend time outside your room. Maybe attend some societies and events to meet real people to try to take your mind off gaming? If you are missing classes as well, it is clear it isn't good for you. Remember what you came to university for!

ReputationRep:
    You have to tell us what game it is

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    I think you should delete your account. Try to spend time outside your room. Maybe attend some societies and events to meet real people to try to take your mind off gaming? If you are missing classes as well, it is clear it isn't good for you. Remember what you came to university for!
    I have very low self-esteem. I just looked in the mirror and just wanted to lock myself away. I really do think im very ugly and have an awful personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I play it everyday, I just can't get enough of it. I have no real friends, I miss university and lectures! I sleep very late. How can I change my life around? I am so addicted to this chatting game. I feel so unproductive! When I stop playing it, i feel tired and bored.
    real world trade/sell your account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have very low self-esteem. I just looked in the mirror and just wanted to lock myself away. I really do think im very ugly and have an awful personality.
    When you started university, did you get involved with Freshers Week? You lack the confidence, I bet your personality isn't that bad. Try to push yourself more to be friendly and meet new people.

I know I suffered with a similarly destructive gaming addiction, thankfully in year 10 so it didn't destroy everything. I got out of it a very unconventional way I suppose. You have to look at what it is you get out of the gaming - perhaps you enjoy the attention that online friends give you since it doesn't match anything you have in reality, or maybe it's rewarding for you. You have to find something that gives you an even stronger feeling. I know for me it was the attention that I got from it as it was unlike anything else I had felt up until that point. I somehow came across a guy who I developed a similar, if not stronger obsession for, and I broke out that way. Although what I did was risky, I think it saved me from my own addiction and prevented it from continuing into GCSE year or even A Levels.

Unless you're willing to find professional help for it, I suggest you find something that can give you just as strong feelings as the gaming can. Whether that's a love interest, new hobby, or something else. Then if the relationship or hobby doesn't last then hopefully by the time it doesn't you've already dragged yourself out from your problem. Another method is detaching yourself completely and trying to survive without it, but that's under the impression that you can go through the withdrawal process.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.