The Student Room Group

Can teachers see what universities you’re applying to from their end?

Can they access that sort of information from their teacher account on UCAS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MajorFader

Yes they can see everything on your UCAS application.

Why would you ask?

There's an option to allow it when you apply but if not then they can't.
Reply 3
Original post by itsfantanoo
Yes they can see everything on your UCAS application.

Why would you ask?

I think I misheard a teacher in my college saying that they can tell students that they cannot apply to universities above their predicted grade.

I know this is good because it allows students to be realistic, but at the end of the day it’s my application? It’s up to me! My future! 🖕🏾
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
There's an option to allow it when you apply but if not then they can't.

Ohh I see, thanks!
I think I misheard a teacher in my college saying that they can tell students that they cannot apply to universities above their predicted grade.

I know this is good because it allows students to be realistic, but at the end of the day it’s my application? It’s up to me! My future! 🖕🏾

Applying to universities above your predicted grades is completely stupid, there will literally be hundreds (if not thousands depending on the university and the course) of other students who either meet or exceed the grade requirements who apply. What possible hope do you think you have of being chosen over one of those people? It's absolute zero, competition for university places has never been more fierce and universities have absolutely no reason to give a place to somebody who doesn't even meet their basic requirements when they have much better options on offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Glassapple
Applying to universities above your predicted grades is completely stupid, there will literally be hundreds (if not thousands depending on the university and the course) of other students who either meet or exceed the grade requirements. What possible hope do you think you have of being chosen over one of those people? It's absolute zero, competition for university places has never been more fierce and universities have absolutely no reason to give a place to somebody who doesn't even meet their basic requirements when they have much better options on offer.

Firstly, ‘GlassApple’ seeems like a username for people who are loners and stilll live with their parents at the age of 30. I was applying devil’s advocate because to authenticate something, you have to challenge it. Of course applying to Unis above your predicted grades is stupid for the reasons above, but some people in my college believes they could do better. Student vlogs on YouTube applied to 3 Unis above his predicted grade and got offers from all of them. He ended up on an AAB course at York with only BBB at A level.

Case dismissed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Firstly, ‘GlassApple’ seeems like a username for people who are loners and stilll love with their parents at the age of 30. I was applying devil’s advocate because to authenticate something, you have to challenge it. Of course applying to Unis above your predicted grades is stupid for the reasons above, but some people in my college believes they could do better. Student vlogs on YouTube applied to 3 Unis above his predicted grade and got offers from all of them. He ended up on an AAB course at York with only BBB at A level.

Case dismissed.

Exactly. Not to mention that universities do not hold as much prestige in predicted grades as they used to, considering most of them are totally inaccurate. Though its rare that they may give you an offer if your predicted grades are lower, that's not to say that they won't entirely. I have a friend who got an offer from Warwick for AAA and was predicted AAB (History) and he ended up achieving A*AA, your predicted grades to do not determine what you're going to get at A-Level.

There's no need for people to be so cynical about everything, Ibz Mo on YouTube got DDD at AS and achieved A*A*A at A-Level and is now studying at Cambridge. Even if you weren't to get an offer you can just take a gap year and re-apply.
Firstly, ‘GlassApple’ seeems like a username for people who are loners and stilll love with their parents at the age of 30. I was applying devil’s advocate because to authenticate something, you have to challenger. Of course applying to Unis above your predicted grades is stupid for the reasons above, but some people in my college believes they could do better. Student vlogs on YouTube applied to 3 Unis above his predicted grade and got offers from all of them. He ended up on an AAB course at York with only BBB at A level.

Case dismissed.

So you've literally just thought of a random, nonsensical insult and applied it to my username, well done. I'm 17 for your information and none of that rubbish applies to me. You're 'asking for a friend', yeah we've all heard that before.

That person probably applied for an unpopular course where the university was desperate to fill their places, plus I'm sure being on YouTube and being able to publicly slander any university that rejected him to a mass online audience helped somewhat. He might have had massive extenuating circumstances that he's not disclosing to the world on the internet, he might not have even got initial offers and got in through Clearing where some universities lower their grade requirements to fill spaces. Of course the internet being the internet he could just be lying about what his predicted grades were. Your 'friend' can't base their hopes on what supposedly happened to a random YouTuber for all the reasons I've mentioned.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you’re not interested in advice then please don’t waste our time starting threads.
Applying to universities above your predicted grades is completely stupid, there will literally be hundreds (if not thousands depending on the university and the course) of other students who either meet or exceed the grade requirements who apply. What possible hope do you think you have of being chosen over one of those people? It's absolute zero, competition for university places has never been more fierce and universities have absolutely no reason to give a place to somebody who doesn't even meet their basic requirements when they have much better options on offer.

Actually no, applying above predicted grades is encouraged. Just don't bother with super competitive courses at top unis. And only apply to 1.

If you're predicted ABB and apply to something AAB, they're likely to give an offer provided the rest of your application is good.
So you've literally just thought of a random, nonsensical insult and applied it to my username, well done. I'm 17 for your information and none of that rubbish applies to me. You're 'asking for a friend', yeah we've all heard that before.

That person probably applied for an unpopular course where the university was desperate to fill their places, plus I'm sure being on YouTube and being able to publicly slander any university that rejected him to a mass online audience helped somewhat. He might have had massive extenuating circumstances that he's not disclosing to the world on the internet, he might not have even got initial offers and got in through Clearing where some universities lower their grade requirements to fill spaces. Of course the internet being the internet he could just be lying about what his predicted grades were. Your 'friend' can't base their hopes on what supposedly happened to a random YouTuber for all the reasons I've mentioned.

At the end of the day Heifer, you never had to give advice to this thread if you weren’t going to add substance. Good night.

However, what your saying here is true to an extent but what I was talking about, never fit this normal criteria.
(edited 6 years ago)

Well you should be careful and do your research if you're applying to ones that are higher above your predicted grades.
Actually no, applying above predicted grades is encouraged. Just don't bother with super competitive courses at top unis. And only apply to 1.

If you're predicted ABB and apply to something AAB, they're likely to give an offer provided the rest of your application is good.

It's encouraged by some schools to have an 'aspirational' choice above your predicted grades (which is totally unrealistic), so it looks better for their figures when they write about what universities their students have applied to. It doesn't make it any less stupid to do so and it doesn't increase your chances of getting an offer from one of these universities.
(edited 6 years ago)
You have 5 choices on UCAS, do you feel confident that you could get realistically achievable offers?

I guess using 1 or 2 slots as "optimistic" choices wouldn't hurt but don't use any more choices up or you may end up with clearing come August or worse, no offers at all!
Well you should be careful and do your research if you're applying to ones that are higher above your predicted grades.

Definitely agree, thanks!
It's encouraged by some schools to have an 'aspirational' choice (which is totally unrealistic), so it looks better for their figures when they write about what universities their students have applied to. It doesn't make it any less stupid to do so.

It's not unrealistic. I know many people who applied to more ambitious choices and were given offers. And this includes good unis like notts and Warwick.

If you're unfamiliar then please don't make up nonsense and pass it off as advice. People will see this in future and will take you seriously (given your history of being wrong on this site).
It's not unrealistic. I know many people who applied to more ambitious choices and were given offers. And this includes good unis like notts and Warwick.

If you're unfamiliar then please don't make up nonsense and pass it off as advice. People will see this in future and will take you seriously (given your history of being wrong on this site).

I'm very familiar as I'm not an idiot. It's always very suspiciously convenient when you 'know people' who've done XYZ, as with any online argument. As for my 'history of being wrong' (which I don't agree with), that's irrelevant. Usually I quote things from actual university websites, then other people accuse me of being wrong because of what their teachers/parents/mates have said or because they're adamant that what they want to believe just has to be right, even though it isn't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CTLevers
You have 5 choices on UCAS, do you feel confident that you could get realistically achievable offers?

I guess using 1 or 2 slots as "optimistic" choices wouldn't hurt but don't use any more choices up or you may end up with clearing come August or worse, no offers at all!

Thanks a lot for your helpful advice!
I'm very familiar as I'm not an idiot, as for my 'history of being wrong' (which don't agree with), that's irrelevant. Usually I quote things from actual university websites, then other people accuse me of being wrong because of what their teachers/parents/mates have said or because they're adamant that what they want to believe just has to be right, even though it isn't.

Well, you're wrong here.

Quick Reply

Latest