Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you do a subject for A Level if you didn't do it for GCSE for example are you able to do a level photography if you didn't do GCSE photography?

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the school - there was a guy in my art class doing a-level photography instead of a-level art, and he had not taken GCSE photography, or even GCSE art.
    Interestingly though, he dropped it due to the workload. It's worth keeping that in mind...not having GCSE experience can really disadvantage you in terms of preparing for the a-level version.

ReputationRep:
    ayh thanks I was just wondering coz it was an option i was considering taking

ReputationRep:
    In my school they didn't offer GCSE Photography, so most people that do it now have GCSE Art, but some don't. You'll have to ask your school, they're the only people that will know. But, at my school you could do A-Level Art without having done the GCSE as long as you could prove you were actually any good at it, by providing some sort of portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can take A-level Photography without a GCSE in it; I presume that the A-level scheme of work would be similar to the GCSE one but keep in mind that art subjects can become very time-consuming so stay on top of your work if you decide to take it.

ReputationRep:
    It does depend on the school. I go to a sixth form that is connected to a secondary school, and I'm in year 13 now. I took GCSE photography and now I'm doing photography for an a-level, too. My class is about 10 people, and only 2 of us took it as GCSE prior to the a-level. Those in my class without the GCSE aren't at much of a disadvantage are quite different in terms of workload - the only thing people seem tos truggle with is how to use photoshop, which is quite easy to find out due to the internet and things like that. I find the teachers in art departments tend to be easier to get help from as well, and this will lessen any disadvantage you might be faced with. Go to the school you want to go to and find out if you can do the a-level without the GCSE and go for it, if that's what you want to do. Good luck.x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellala)
    In my school they didn't offer GCSE Photography, so most people that do it now have GCSE Art, but some don't. You'll have to ask your school, they're the only people that will know. But, at my school you could do A-Level Art without having done the GCSE as long as you could prove you were actually any good at it, by providing some sort of portfolio.
    the thing is i dont want to go to my school's sixth form coz its rubbish so on the open day of the other colleges/sixth forms I'll just ask i guess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.