Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reduced Maintenance Loan Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I started my nursing degree in September 2016 and received an NHS Bursary and a reduced maintenance loan from SFE of £2324.

In February 2017 I interrupted my studies and my Bursary and maintenance loan stopped.

I am continuing the first year of my Nursing degree in November and I am still going to be receiving my NHS Bursary.

I have applied for a non-means tested maintenance loan from SFE and it has been approved. The amount is £3928. Is this correct? As it is a lot more than last year.

Thanks for your help.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentnurse3)
    Hi,

I started my nursing degree in September 2016 and received an NHS Bursary and a reduced maintenance loan from SFE of £2324.

In February 2017 I interrupted my studies and my Bursary and maintenance loan stopped.

I am continuing the first year of my Nursing degree in November and I am still going to be receiving my NHS Bursary.

I have applied for a non-means tested maintenance loan from SFE and it has been approved. The amount is £3928. Is this correct? As it is a lot more than last year.

Thanks for your help.
    Hi studentnurse3,

If you suspended your studies in 2016 and resuming on the same course in 2017, you would receive the same package of support as before.

As you would be in receipt of an NHS bursary, as the NHS would be paying the fees, you are entitled to receive the reduced rate maintenance loan only.

If you withdrew in 2016 and are applying as a new student , funding for NHS students has changed and you will be entitled to the new package of support.

The Government announced that from 2017/18 AY new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.

From the information that you haveprovided you have been assessed as a new student.

If you are still going to be in receipt of the NHS bursary as a continuing student, resuming on same course, to ensure that you are receiving the correct level of support, please give us a call on

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rona, I’ve already phoned SFE on that number and told them all of the above and they still didn’t change it. I’ll try again! Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.