Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So, I'm a 13 year old student in London, I have to pick my GCSE topics this year, my whole family are giving me a lot of unwanted pressure and I have my own anxieties about this decision. Not only that but my mother makes me feel worthless and just like absolute crap 90% of the time, so I don't spend much time with my parents. She makes me feel so bad that I self harmed before and she didn't even notice, or care at that. Firstly, I can't pick between History and Geography for my GCSE subject, I'm better at geography, and geography is better for a career in science, however, in History we study medicine and some politics [Medicine, Queen Elizabeth the first, Nazi Germany and British America] and I think both is too much of a workload but I don't know.. also, I've tired tell if my mum but she just doesn't pick up on it and my mum has anxiety and depression and my dad has depression. They both complain about everything I do and they rarely smile when I'm with them. I feel worthless and they don't trust me at all. Heck, they put a tracker in my backpack without telling me {think in I was dumb enough to not notice it} and they underestimate me all the time. I don't know what to do to show them that I can do something and be worth something. My mum asked me to Falk to my teacher about a trip, I had absolutely no time to find and talk to mentioned teacher and so when I got home, I got shouted at and grounded. My dad said it was just me not wanting to do what they say and not antic to know but I purely had no time. I'm pressured to study, do well in exams, do extra!-curricular activities and so much more. I'm not ready for this but I can't do anything about it. I don't have ANY weekens free until NEXT YEAR, and I only have a Wednesday free next week. I don't know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiancaTheSmarty)
    Hey! So, I'm a 13 year old student in London, I have to pick my GCSE topics this year, my whole family are giving me a lot of unwanted pressure and I have my own anxieties about this decision. Not only that but my mother makes me feel worthless and just like absolute crap 90% of the time, so I don't spend much time with my parents. She makes me feel so bad that I self harmed before and she didn't even notice, or care at that. Firstly, I can't pick between History and Geography for my GCSE subject, I'm better at geography, and geography is better for a career in science, however, in History we study medicine and some politics [Medicine, Queen Elizabeth the first, Nazi Germany and British America] and I think both is too much of a workload but I don't know.. also, I've tired tell if my mum but she just doesn't pick up on it and my mum has anxiety and depression and my dad has depression. They both complain about everything I do and they rarely smile when I'm with them. I feel worthless and they don't trust me at all. Heck, they put a tracker in my backpack without telling me {think in I was dumb enough to not notice it} and they underestimate me all the time. I don't know what to do to show them that I can do something and be worth something. My mum asked me to Falk to my teacher about a trip, I had absolutely no time to find and talk to mentioned teacher and so when I got home, I got shouted at and grounded. My dad said it was just me not wanting to do what they say and not antic to know but I purely had no time. I'm pressured to study, do well in exams, do extra!-curricular activities and so much more. I'm not ready for this but I can't do anything about it. I don't have ANY weekens free until NEXT YEAR, and I only have a Wednesday free next week. I don't know what to do!
    appreciate that Wednesday
    ur 13 - is your situation really that bad? sounds like your parents need a bit of help without you getting in the way (sorry if that sounds harsh)
    don't do anything stupid tho-self harm for what?

ReputationRep:
    urm..

do whatever gcses you want. I think you should go with geography as one topic in history won't make all the difference and you can always do outside reading on the history of medicine and mention this in future stuff.

regarding your parents, it's unfair and awful how they're treating you. I know what I'm about to say may sound hard and stupid but don't let it get to you. They have their own issues (as you mentioned, depression and anxiety) and unfortunately they seem to he taking it out on you. if it's really that bad speak to someone about it. Because at the end of the day they are negatively impacting you. But if it isn't very bad, whenever they say something just let it come in one ear and out the other. remind yourself they are ill and don't mean what they're saying.

hope it gets better x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by BiancaTheSmarty)
    Take a step back, relax for a moment. I know it's hard but it will do you good distracting yourself for at lest 10 minutes from the problem. GCSE wise, it really depends what you want to go in to. I was told that both History and Geography use the same skills. Both are relatively hard GCSEs. You need to think about which course appeals more to you in general. If you have an idea as to which you want to go in to, pick based on that. If not, do whatever will keep your options open. Both History and Geography are highly regarded, there's no real downside. Just make sure it goes well with the rest of your options if you have some idea or keeps them open.
    Whichever one you enjoy more. I personally find that getting better grades in a subject motivates me more but completely up to you there.
    It is perfectly possible to do both, all GCSEs are hard work. Just note you won't be getting much free time, no matter what you take.
    As for the personal issues, the key to everything is communication. Literally, without communication, there isn't going to be any trust between you. I'd confront your parents about the tracker because that's just ridiculous. Just talk it out as there's got to be an extremely good reason for behaviour like that. If you can, try to weigh in on what they are complaining about. I usually do with my parents even though it isn't the most exciting news. It does allow communication though. Again, I can just stress to you just how important talking to them is. I can't really help your parent's problems but if it's really that bad, you need to get them to seek professional help.
    You are always going to be under pressure to study, there's no way around that. Sometimes, you're better off not doing anything and just taking a break once in a while. At the start of the year, there isn't going to be enough content for you to revise. Make revision cards as you go along, it'll be easier that was that making them all before a test. And there will be times when you have no free time to yourself during GCSE season.
    If you really struggle that much to find free time, consider dropping some of the extra-curricular activities. There are multiple other things that look good on applications and only do it if you enjoy it.
    At the end of the day, it's your life, you need to do what makes you happy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.