Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi just thought I would start a thread for anyone applying to the Ambitious Futures graduate scheme this year. I sent my first application form off on Friday and haven't heard anything yet!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about applying over the Christmas break. Does anyone know if the middle placement (different institution) is funded? i.e. accommodation, etc. Seems a bit much to expect people to relocate for such a short amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently undertaking my first placement on the AF Programme and really enjoying it so far! The application process (in the experience of the current cohort at least) can be quite drawn out - I initially applied in September 2016, and did not receive an invite to a telephone interview until early January this year, so don't get too disheartened if you don't hear back from them for some time.

philippa26804 in terms of the second placement, you are encouraged to relocate if it takes over 1 hour to commute there from your first university. The scheme will reimburse your accommodation costs up to roughly £150 each week. If you choose not to relocate, and instead wish to commute, petrol/train fare etc will be reimbursed.

If anyone else has any questions about the programme, feel free to get in touch

ReputationRep:
    I am applying. To be honest, I am struggling with the reflective part of the application process. I hope to get it done this week and submit my application ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    There will be a live Q&A session on Twitter with current graduate trainees tomorrow (15th Dec) 11:00-12:00, if you'd like to discover more about the Ambitious Futures Programme! Follow Ambitious Futures at @ambitiousf, and use the hashtag #askAF

ReputationRep:
    HI All
    I am a mature student,(early 40s)graduated in 2016. I am interested in this programme but was wondering if it is geared more towards younger Grads that have just finished UNI? Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of the age band for this course?

Also, is it an all year round course or term time only?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinytots)
    HI All
    I am a mature student,(early 40s)graduated in 2016. I am interested in this programme but was wondering if it is geared more towards younger Grads that have just finished UNI? Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of the age band for this course?

Also, is it an all year round course or term time only?

Many Thanks
    As long as you have graduated in the past 5 years, and care about HE, it doesn't matter about your age!

I graduated last summer, at the age of 22, and I'm actually one of the youngest people in the current cohort. Most of the trainees are in their mid/late 20s, and there are a few people who are in their 30s/40s. We all come from a variety of backgrounds - some like me, are fresh out of university, whereas others have worked in occupations as varied as the navy and secondary school teaching since graduating.

It is an 18 month course, which will start in September 2018. Each of the three placements lasts 6 months, so you will be working year round.

If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message

ReputationRep:
    HiThanks so much for your reply. T sounds as though you are really enjoying it. Do you know what sort of area you will end up working? Is there a job at the end of it for you?Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Has anyone heard back yet? I've sent my application through a couple of weeks ago and I just can't wait to receive an update of any kind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sgergar)
    Hi there! Has anyone heard back yet? I've sent my application through a couple of weeks ago and I just can't wait to receive an update of any kind
    Submitted my application on the 11th Jan and received an invite to a video interview yesterday afternoon. Hopefully you will hear back soon as applications closed last Friday

ReputationRep:
    Last year they seemed to sort applications out one university at a time, so don't get too disheartened if you're yet to hear anything, probably means they haven't done the university you applied to yet

ReputationRep:
    I received my invitation on 9th Jan, and did my interview on 13th Jan, but have not yet heard back. So I am very nervous.
    For anybody still wondering about the content of the interview, the questions were very much in line with what the emails reveal about them. There was one question on why HE sector, why AF Programme. I also remember one questions about teamwork and decision-making/organisation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I just heard back and have to do my interview before the 31st.

Aniaaa if you don't mind me asking, were there any University-specific question (as in, why did you pick this university in particular, etc)?

ReputationRep:
    No. They were all competency based and related to the strengths outlined in the framework.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I just heard back and have to do my interview before the 31st.

Aniaaa if you don't mind me asking, were there any University-specific question (as in, why did you pick this university in particular, etc)?
    What university did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniChikalette)
    What university did you apply for?
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    I've got to do my video interview tomorrow and am petrified! I hate those kind of interviews, particularly not being able to see an interviewer and gauge their reactions. Does anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Griffin_R)
    I've got to do my video interview tomorrow and am petrified! I hate those kind of interviews, particularly not being able to see an interviewer and gauge their reactions. Does anyone have any tips?
    I've done mine today and went horribly, so no tips really. But, in case you're interested in the questions: apart from the ones they mention in the email, they asked me about resilience, teamwork and some other stuff I don't remember. Also, the question on why you like the programme is only 90 seconds, so you might want to take that into account if you're thinking about planning what to say. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've done mine today and went horribly, so no tips really. But, in case you're interested in the questions: apart from the ones they mention in the email, they asked me about resilience, teamwork and some other stuff I don't remember. Also, the question on why you like the programme is only 90 seconds, so you might want to take that into account if you're thinking about planning what to say. Good luck!
    Oh no, sorry to hear that - hopefully yours will be like one of those exams that you think is awful at the time but somehow turns out fine.

That's good to know, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thank God that's over with! Question themes are pretty much the same as those in the written application Good luck anyone else who is doing it today/tomorrow!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.