Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does doing 3 sciences at a level rather than two increase chances of medical school Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i know many universities whose entry requirements are only that u have 2 sciences (including chemistry) but would doing 3 increase my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beheshta)
    i know many universities whose entry requirements are only that u have 2 sciences (including chemistry) but would doing 3 increase my chances?
    Oh of course it would. Chances are like 'just chemistry'<both chemistry and biology<chemistry and biology and either physics or maths

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't directly impact the selection process for the universities yourself (apart from Cambridge, you've got a higher chance with 3 sciences), however you may find it useful to do Biology, Chemistry and a third science (Maths or Physics) as sometimes the content of the science A Levels may interlink (e.g. Maths is often needed for Chemistry), and if you want to do BMAT, it'll give you the extra step. I wouldn't advise you to do a third science if you didn't enjoy the subject or you're not good at it though. I know quite a few people who got into medical school with only 2 sciences, some even without doing Biology A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    It doesn't directly impact the selection process for the universities yourself (apart from Cambridge, you've got a higher chance with 3 sciences), however you may find it useful to do Biology, Chemistry and a third science (Maths or Physics) as sometimes the content of the science A Levels may interlink (e.g. Maths is often needed for Chemistry), and if you want to do BMAT, it'll give you the extra step. I wouldn't advise you to do a third science if you didn't enjoy the subject or you're not good at it though. I know quite a few people who got into medical school with only 2 sciences, some even without doing Biology A Level.
    Oh really, do you know what unis they got into?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh really, do you know what unis they got into?
    The friend who didn't take Biology had offers from Newcastle, Sheffield, Aberdeen. Can't specifically remember where all the other people who did 2 sciences got offers from, but I know one of them got into Cardiff with Chemistry, Biology, History.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really, only for Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.