Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Cambridge and Imperial don't accept BTECs.
    Dunno about Imperial but Cambridge certainly does, if accompanied by an A* in A-level maths.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....y-requirements
    "All Colleges, except Trinity, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, eg a BTEC Higher National Diploma in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification. Those taking the Single Award Applied A Level in Engineering or the Principal Learning components of the Advanced Diploma in Engineering must also be taking A Levels in Mathematics and Physics. The Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering is a suitable alternative to A Level Mathematics for these purposes."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bristol IMO but that shouldn't have any influence on your decision tbh... just choose whichever course you feel best suits you: they're all very good universities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Dunno about Imperial but Cambridge certainly does, if accompanied by an A* in A-level maths.

"All Colleges, except Trinity, welcome applications from students taking A Level Mathematics and a suitable vocational qualification, eg a BTEC Higher National Diploma in an engineering discipline. Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification. Those taking the Single Award Applied A Level in Engineering or the Principal Learning components of the Advanced Diploma in Engineering must also be taking A Levels in Mathematics and Physics. The Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering is a suitable alternative to A Level Mathematics for these purposes."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only got an A in maths unfortunately. I emailed Cambridge admission to check if it would still be worth pursuing but they pretty much just told me to look at the entry requirements...so I'll take that as a no. >_<
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    I only got an A in maths unfortunately. I emailed Cambridge admission to check if it would still be worth pursuing but they pretty much just told me to look at the entry requirements...so I'll take that as a no. >_<
    Yup, and you've missed the deadline anyway.

By the way, "prestige" is meaningless if you want a career in engineering. Employers don't employ "good" universities, they employ good engineers.

Any of your choices will give you a good education, but don't dismiss the YINI. It can be a very helpful contribution to your CV and indeed for your personal development.

Have you visited all the universities? You will be spending 3+ years there, it's important to find somewhere you actually like.

There's no need to rush to finalise your choices - the deadline is the 15th Jan.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, and you've missed the deadline anyway.

By the way, "prestige" is meaningless if you want a career in engineering. Employers don't employ "good" universities, they employ good engineers.

Any of your choices will give you a good education, but don't dismiss the YINI. It can be a very helpful contribution to your CV and indeed for your personal development.

Have you visited all the universities? You will be spending 3+ years there, it's important to find somewhere you actually like.

There's no need to rush to finalise your choices - the deadline is the 15th Jan.
    Thank you for the advice

The reason i originally asked about prestige was to get an idea of which university would be the *best* one that i could realistically apply to. I haven't yet visited any of the universities seeing as i'm not even certain which ones would accept my qualifications. I sent an email to Bath admission the other day to ask about their entry requirements for their aerospace course.

They replied with "We will consider applications for Mechanical Engineering from those studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering. The typical offer would be:
    D*D*D* in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering plus grade A* in A-Level Mathematics. "

Not sure why they said "Mechanical" but seeing as i got an A in maths i think they trying to tell me i don't stand a chance. >_< Curious why their entry requirements are so much higher than Bristol's though. They only want D*DD plus A-level Mathematics at grade A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -MizzSnazzter-)
    Friend of mine went to Australia as his year abroad doing aero at Bristol - he ended up getting 92% out there because they were studying what he had done the previous year... so he came back with a 92 for his 3rd year so got a first overall in his degree quite easily... but cheeky really but great way to boost your grade lol!

I think Bristol > Bath > Southampton > Leeds

Good set of choices IMO! Let me know if you have any other specific aero @ Bristol questions or Bristol in general! (Ex bristol alum here who lived with 3 Aeros at uni!)
    study abroad is now sounding even more appealing lol ... it's nice to find someone with first hand knowledge! i'm sure ill end up pestering you in the near future with Bristol questions...sorry in advance!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    Curious why their entry requirements are so much higher than Bristol's though.
    Supply and demand... and to be different. They are rivals

ReputationRep:
    As above, 'prestige' is completely subjective and pretty much meaningless for a prospective engineering career. As long as the course is accredited it won't make any difference to your future opportunities where you go. Different universities have different strengths and, contrary to popular opinion on TSR, 'Oxbridge' isn't always the right answer. Good luck wherever you end up.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok, i was going off https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements which was linked to from your page.

I can't find any BTEC requirements listed on Imperial's pages, though might be worth emailing to ask.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Ah ok, i was going off https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements which was linked to from your page.
    Yep - although it does say:
    VCE A Levels, Applied A Levels, GNVQs and BTECs don’t provide an appropriate preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational. As such, these qualifications can’t, unless otherwise stated, be used to replace the required or highly desirable A Level subjects listed for each course.
    However, if any required/highly desirable subjects are covered, a six unit VCE or Applied A Level could be taken instead of a third A Level or as an additional fourth broadening subject. This combination of A Levels and VCE or other qualifications may be acceptable for some courses.
    Potential applicants taking these qualifications are advised to seek further advice from a College Admissions Tutor as early as possible.

And engineering is one of the "unless stated otherwise" examples.

ReputationRep:
    Yep - although it does say:
    VCE A Levels, Applied A Levels, GNVQs and BTECs don’t provide an appropriate preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational. As such, these qualifications can’t, unless otherwise stated, be used to replace the required or highly desirable A Level subjects listed for each course.
    However, if any required/highly desirable subjects are covered, a six unit VCE or Applied A Level could be taken instead of a third A Level or as an additional fourth broadening subject. This combination of A Levels and VCE or other qualifications may be acceptable for some courses.
    Potential applicants taking these qualifications are advised to seek further advice from a College Admissions Tutor as early as possible.

And engineering is one of the "unless stated otherwise" examples.
    I just sent them an email to double check. It's worth a shot but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high. Will let you know when they respond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)

Outside the Big 8 unis i.e. Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, Oxford, Manchester, Kings College London, UCL and Edinburgh, the rest are very subjective in their prestige.
    Very debatable. If you get into any course at Oxbridge it is always respectable. You can't say the same for Manchester. Where's Durham/Warwick for example. For most things outside of science, Durham/Warwick thrash Manchester, for example in History.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For Aerospace, Southampton gets a significant bump up in the perceived rankings compared to general, or certainly non-STEM subjects. But they're all pretty similar for that subject - none is really better than another.

There are some differences in the natures of the universities - Southampton's campus is completely separate from the city proper, although close enough you can go in for a night out, you aren't walking out of a department and into a shopping centre. I can't speak so much for the others but it was my impression Bristol was a little more spread across the city? Bristol as a city is also much more cosmopolitan (and bigger, to my knowledge) than Southampton as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Very debatable. If you get into any course at Oxbridge it is always respectable. You can't say the same for Manchester. Where's Durham/Warwick for example. For most things outside of science, Durham/Warwick thrash Manchester, for example in History.
    Ahh so out of interest would universities such as Bristol / Bath also be considered superior to Durham/Warwick for engineering courses? I'm asking because i noticed Durham/Warwick are usually rated pretty high in almost all the tables I've seen. (Usually above Bath/Bristol).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about overall prestige.

Durham is barely known outside the UK and is known as the uni for oxbridge rejects within the UK. Although it does not take away from the decent courses, the above is still the case.

Warwick is known for its Maths and Economics and outside those are not really known.

This has been debated on many threads and the conclusion is that the overall Big 8 are the ones that have been mentioned above.

Someone mentioned a "Little 8" which are the close unis to the Big 8 and included Warwick, Durham and Bristol.

Few unis like Oxbridge and the Big 8 can claim to have near excellent prestige and the rest is very subjective.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    This is specifcally for Engineering (Aero). Hence the host forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    Ahh so out of interest would universities such as Bristol / Bath also be considered superior to Durham/Warwick for engineering courses? I'm asking because i noticed Durham/Warwick are usually rated pretty high in almost all the tables I've seen. (Usually above Bath/Bristol).
    I don't know about engineering for those universities, I don't know much about engineering prestige besides some general things such as Southampton, Manchester, Surrey and Loughborough generally being far better for engineering than most other courses, but that's just general uni knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    Hi everyone,
    just a quick question! Which of the following universities would you say is the most prestigious: Leeds, Bath, Southampton, Bristol

Thank you in advance for any responses
    In order:
    Bristol
    Bath
    Leeds/Southampton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I am talking about overall prestige.

Durham is barely known outside the UK and is known as the uni for oxbridge rejects within the UK. Although it does not take away from the decent courses, the above is still the case.

Warwick is known for its Maths and Economics and outside those are not really known.

This has been debated on many threads and the conclusion is that the overall Big 8 are the ones that have been mentioned above.

Someone mentioned a "Little 8" which are the close unis to the Big 8 and included Warwick, Durham and Bristol.

Few unis like Oxbridge and the Big 8 can claim to have near excellent prestige and the rest is very subjective.
    I noticed @Doonesbury mentioned this is for Aero, so obviously since you're a man of engineering it would make sense that you would rank Manchester highly, whilst LSE/KCL are known worldwide.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I noticed @Doonesbury mentioned this is for Aero, so obviously since you're a man of engineering it would make sense that you would rank Manchester highly, whilst LSE/KCL are known worldwide.
    Yes, i am a man of engineering but i also use the global university ranking as base.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.