Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies in advance if I'm asking questions that have been asked 10,000 times before!

I'll be staring my nursing degree in the new year - super excited, but would love a little insight into what to expect from an assessment point of view. In particular, I hear people talk about individual presentations vs. group presentations vs. poster presentations? What are these like? Are presentation in front of 100s of students, or just in a room with a few assessors?

How have you found your studies generally? What you expected? Challenging?

Again, apologies is these questions are floating around on the forum already.

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahlou1984)
    Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies in advance if I'm asking questions that have been asked 10,000 times before!

I'll be staring my nursing degree in the new year - super excited, but would love a little insight into what to expect from an assessment point of view. In particular, I hear people talk about individual presentations vs. group presentations vs. poster presentations? What are these like? Are presentation in front of 100s of students, or just in a room with a few assessors?

Sarah
    Hi, I'm only a first year so I haven't got much experience yet (week 4) but I do know about a lot of our assessments already. So far we have a group presentation which will present this month, it's in groups of roughly 5/6 and we will be presenting to the other students on our course, so it will be a large amount of people but obviously this may be different at different universities. We also have a mock on one of our modules at the beginning of the next month, and we have an assignment due in January for another module. I have found everything really manageable and a lot of it relates to my BTEC which I did. The only thing that I am finding more challenging is the bioscience, because my BTEC didn't include a lot of science, this is the only downside. People who did A-level biology are finding this module a lot easier, but the lecturers did say that this module is generally the one that people struggle with the most so I'm not feeling too alone😂😂. We are also assessed on our manual handling and basic life support skills in first year, which is a practical. You will do a lot of reading on it prior to the actual assessment, we have to pass an online test (80% or over) in order to attend these skills lessons. Some people have already done these assessments but it just depends what group you're in. Hope this helps, obviously I'm only in first year so someone who is further along with their course will be able to tell you more than me x
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sarahlou1984)
    Hi all,

Sarah
    Your methods of assessment can vary hugely by university. Some will have more exams whereas others will have more projects and coursework. Your university should be able to give you some information about the types of assessments they have lined up for you once you've started.

Generally, presentations are either in front of a panel of 2-4 assessors, and perhaps a small group of students. It is very rare for universities to require you to present in front of a large group of students so I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started first year. We have no formal exams in year 1. Our first module is due in January which involves writing a care plan, explaining the physiology of one of the vital signs, and writing an essay on professionalism. Second module is due in March, third Due in May and fourth in June. All assignments are the equivalent to 4000 words. We're having 1 hour of A&P a week, with a lot of pre and post reading and independent study. The other lessons relate to the nursing profession, communication, mental health etc. These lessons also have pre and post reading tasks. Then we have our practical lessons in simulation. So far we've done moving and handling, BSL, Observations, Nutrition and mouth care. We practice on each other and the dummies. First placement is next month so going to be very busy soon with placement and assignments!

ReputationRep:
    It is different in every uni so I can only say for mine but you'll probably do osce's (practical exams), every nurse friend of mine from range of unis has done them, although I think when/ how many/ what differ.
    In year one we did 1 written exam half a&p and half psychosocial science, 1 osce exam and 3 essays at 1,500 words each. We do formative where are given pre task/s which we are given feedback from (usually we would write part of the essay which we can use in summative) then summative which are compulsory and graded which is how you'd get your module grade.
    This year we had an osce 4 weeks in (very brutal ha!) and a formative which was our first group task which went as most group tasks do... difficulty! That was in week 5. I have 4 more summative essays this year at 2,000 words and an osce.
    Placement is also summative/ graded with a grade at the end, in this we have to reach core competencies/ complete essential skills cluster amongst other things, so whilst it doesn't seem like your typical assessment it is part of a module, graded as essays are and need to be passed to progress to the next stage.
    It's all not as scary as it sounds though! Once you get in the swing of things it feels less daunting!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.