Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[A2] Need help on a Point Charges / Electrical Fields question Watch

ReputationRep:
    a) A +25 microC point charge Q1 is at a distance of 60mm from a +100 microC charge Q2.

A +15pC charge q is placed at M1, 2mm from Q1, and 35mm from Q2. Calculate:

i) The resultant electric field strength at M1
    ii) The magnitude and direction of force on q.

b) Show that the electric field strength due to Q1 and Q2 is zero at the point which is 20mm from Q1 and 40mm from Q2

I'm just fairly stuck badly stuck on the first two parts. If you have to find the resultant field strength, you can't use Coulomb's law of force, but rather take a E at Q1, E at Q2, and compare them, right? Exactly what do you have to do? I've tried using the field strength equation E = Q/4Pi[Epsilon]r^2, but doing this requires r, a distance: What distance is this? Do you measure from Q1 to M, Q1 to Q2? I have literally no idea where to go for this. Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dggj_19)
    a) A +25 microC point charge Q1 is at a distance of 60mm from a +100 microC charge Q2.

A +15pC charge q is placed at M1, 2mm from Q1, and 35mm from Q2. Calculate:
    These figures can't be right. Even if q lies on the 60 mm line segment joining Q1 and Q2, you have only accounted for 37 mm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.