Confused about gas/electric meters in my new flat Watch

shadowtear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello I'm having issues cleary the meters from dept left by my flat's previous tennant.

My landlord told me to just phone the provider (British Gas) and ask them to reset the meters but when I phoned she just laughed at me and said they don't just reset meters on request and suggested I tell my landlord to pay it off instead.

Well I got in contact with another woman representing my landlord ('cause he's on holiday) and she said their website says I'm entitled to ask them to reset it, and wants me to phone them and ask them again. Their website says

"You might need a new card or key to use the meters in your new home. Using one that's been left could mean you're paying someone else's outstanding bill, which shouldn't affect you as a new customer."

So I really confused what to do... these are my options:

The woman and the phone told me to tell the landlord to pay the dept. Should I wait for him to come off holiday and ask him directly?

Should I do what this other woman says and phone British Gas again, demanding they reset the meters and clear the dept?

Or should I just ask for a new card like the website suggests? And if I do what will happen to the dept on the meters?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowtear)
Hello I'm having issues cleary the meters from dept left by my flat's previous tennant.

My landlord told me to just phone the provider (British Gas) and ask them to reset the meters but when I phoned she just laughed at me and said they don't just reset meters on request and suggested I tell my landlord to pay it off instead.

Well I got in contact with another woman representing my landlord ('cause he's on holiday) and she said their website says I'm entitled to ask them to reset it, and wants me to phone them and ask them again. Their website says

"You might need a new card or key to use the meters in your new home. Using one that's been left could mean you're paying someone else's outstanding bill, which shouldn't affect you as a new customer."

So I really confused what to do... these are my options:

The woman and the phone told me to tell the landlord to pay the dept. Should I wait for him to come off holiday and ask him directly?

Should I do what this other woman says and phone British Gas again, demanding they reset the meters and clear the dept?

Or should I just ask for a new card like the website suggests? And if I do what will happen to the dept on the meters?
Complain to British Gas, as that's completely wrong information - they should be able to clear it.
shadowtear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Complain to British Gas, as that's completely wrong information - they should be able to clear it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (11)
8.59%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (13)
10.16%
No, but maybe I will look into it (35)
27.34%
No and I wouldn't consider it (69)
53.91%

Watched Threads