Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

17. Male. Never had a relationship. Never held hands or kissed or anything further. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m an average looking guy. Tanned skin, green eyes, bit of a jawline but a big nose. 5ft 10 66kg.

Is this weird? Any tips?(from guys and girls, both sides helps a ton). All my friends are in relationships, or sleeping around. I’ve been close to a few girls before but I don’t have the confidence to take it any further. Even hugging girls I get nervous. But in general life I’m confident, joking around, exams etc, people even asking me how I’m confident with these things, but as soon as it comes to anything relationship related, that all goes

Anything helpful would be very appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I have a tip but by the sounds you won’t be having it 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsLife1)
    I’m an average looking guy. Tanned skin, green eyes, bit of a jawline but a big nose. 5ft 10 66kg.

Is this weird? Any tips?(from guys and girls, both sides helps a ton). All my friends are in relationships, or sleeping around. I’ve been close to a few girls before but I don’t have the confidence to take it any further. Even hugging girls I get nervous.

It's not weird, its normal, I'm 16 and not had a GF yet, but I don't really care that much. Some people are like you in their 30's so don't worry about it.
    First step is talking to them, then you flirt with them, if they flirt back, ask them out, wham bam turkey and ham.

ReputationRep:

Is this weird? Any tips?(from guys and girls, both sides helps a ton). All my friends are in relationships, or sleeping around. I’ve been close to a few girls before but I don’t have the confidence to take it any further. Even hugging girls I get nervous.

Us two are quite alike (except I do not have green eyes). Nonetheless, I personally wouldn't worry or care too much. Doesn't really matter atm- focus on your A Levels, and don't fantasize too much. Unrealistic ideas about a relationship (one that Hollywood sells you) will always make you feel like you are left out, plus most people are only in it for sex and fun at this age- you don't make an actual connection.

ReputationRep:
    Focus on school like Malik said. Girls come and go with plenty of fish in the sea. However, grades do not come and go - they stay there forever and ever. So yeah, study hard, get into uni/apprenticeship or whatever you wanna do and then think about dating. Dating goes nowhere if all you're gunna do is leave her in a few months/years. Date someone you'd marry literally. Its not weird, it's called being normal and waiting for the right person instead of dating a ton of girls.

Not the best tip but all I can say is just go for it, you’re confident with everything else. If you get close to a girl just go for it. It will either work or it won’t. And also don’t worry about being the only one. I’m the only one of my friends who’s never had a boyfriend- the most difficult thing for me though is I just can’t talk to anyone😂 any social situation is difficult for me. You may even find someone who is in the same situation as you anyway!

ReputationRep:
    why would u want to be in a relationship at 17 lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    don't rush anything. it's not a bad thing to not have had a gf or have had sex at 17. if you want that kind of thing, uni is a great place bc everyone's new and no-one knows each other. i hadn't had a gf until i turned 18 and i was in my last year of college, but i know people in the 20s or later that still haven't had anything like that. there's no rush

ReputationRep:
    eh I wouldn't worry about relationships too much at this point, the best relationships happen naturally not by going out and purposely seeking one. Lmao I'm 18 and never been in a relationships and tbh it's great since I can just use my time to focus on me instead of another person.

I was in your position at 17. I'm in my 20s now and things aren't the same. It'll happen for you too as long as you stop feeling nervous when it comes to physical affection.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Got my first girlfriend at 23. I literally cannot understand why some people are complaining about being single at 17. When I was 17, I still wanted to learn new things, meet new people and focus on my A-Levels.

You haven't missed out on anything. Trust me, good things come for those who wait.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Is this weird? Any tips?(from guys and girls, both sides helps a ton). All my friends are in relationships, or sleeping around. I’ve been close to a few girls before but I don’t have the confidence to take it any further. Even hugging girls I get nervous. But in general life I’m confident, joking around, exams etc, people even asking me how I’m confident with these things, but as soon as it comes to anything relationship related, that all goes

Just be yourself, talk to girls like you talk to your male friends. Don't put them on a pedestal, they are just people.

Improve yourself, hit the gym, wear nice clothes, groom well, have a good hairstyle, have good posture.

Love yourself and be happy, do things that make you happy, partake in your hobbies, relax, be proud of the person you are, you have just got much right as everyone else.

You could try online dating, speed dating, joining clubs based on hobbies, through college/uni, through your network and approaching females.

I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

9) Look outside!

Good luck

17 too, honestly I've seen my friends rush into relationships which end miserably cause no one really knows what they're doing or why, don't be in a rush!

ReputationRep:
    I’m 16 (almost 17) and haven’t been in a relationship. Most of my friends have/are in relationships and sometimes it can make you feel like you HAVE to be in one too, but honestly it’s not the most important thing in the world! If you feel like you are ready go for it,what’s the worst that could happen?? I’m the same as you (apart from I’m a girl and have blue eyes lmao) and I try and not let it get to me. If it happens one day, it happens but don’t force it.

ReputationRep:
    There is no rush, just because others do something doesn't mean you have to Right now, your focus should be on school and stuff (god I sound old xD). You'll have plenty of opportunities at uni to experiment and experience all this but you gotta get there first!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I'm 17 and have not kissed anyone or had sex yet. At the moment I'm not looking for any relationship just focusing on my A levels. I hear that most people start getting into relationships at university so I'm not panicking.

ReputationRep:
    Most engineering students concentrate on their academics, rather than 'sleeping around'. I had my head buried in a book until i graduated, because i had gotten into grade trouble, and flunked out of a couple of schools, and certainly didn't want that to happen again!! Don't worry about it. You've got plenty of time. When the right one comes along, hopefully you'll spot it & nab her. Better that than hooking up with someone you can't stand after a couple of years & have 2 kids (or more) to support. Best of luck!! Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares shut up life isn’t about that ****

ReputationRep:
    I’m the same as you, except I’m not dumb about to write it on a forum because I make my own life decisions. Try answering your own questions, we can’t read your mind.

ReputationRep:
    This "focus on your studies" thing is just about the most depressing thing ever.

OP comes on here for advice - and that's the best you can all do?

A good lifestyle means not just doing one thing mindlessly. Come one - it's not as if A-levels are so rockhard that you can't do really well in them - and - shock horror do other things?

By this (astonishingly stupid) rationale, the OP will be at retirement age before realising any kind of intimacy. If A-levels are more important than poon - then surely his degree would be much more important. Then finding a job and working hard at it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.