Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong that my school isn’t letting me have extra times in exams cos I’m only Mild dyslexic it goes from A-D and I’m B . I’m in yr 11 and am sitting my GCSEs in may and I’m really strugerling in English I’m getting 2s in both English and my target is a 6
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In order to qualify for extra time in public exams you need:
    • to have been formally assessed as having a qualifying score (generally a standardised score of less than 85 - I've never heard of A-D as grades??)
    • to show evidence of need (i.e. you do better if you are given extra time) and
    • getting extra time needs to be your normal way of working - you can't just decide you need it in Year 11.

I'd expect the majority of students to have been diagnosed and for their evidence of need to have been established before the start of Year 11. If you think you should qualify then you need to talk to your SENCo ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    • to have been formally assessed as having a qualifying score (generally a standardised score of less than 85 - I've never heard of A-D as grades??)
    • getting extra time needs to be your normal way of working - you can't just decide you need it in Year 11.

I'd expect the majority of students to have been diagnosed and for their evidence of need to have been established before the start of Year 11. If you think you should qualify then you need to talk to your SENCo ASAP.
    I got dignosied in yr 7 and my and my parents have been asked for me to have extra time but they say that Im only mild dyslexic so I can’t have it but I’m pretty sure that all dyslexics should get extra time .
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Like it's said above, you need to be tested for it. My friend was dyslexic and didn't get extra time. It just depends on the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elisha.l)
    I got dignosied in yr 7 and my and my parents have been asked for me to have extra time but they say that Im only mild dyslexic so I can’t have it but I’m pretty sure that all dyslexics should get extra time .
    In that case I presume that your score was not low enough to qualify - but check with the SENCo now if you think you're struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elisha.l)
    Is it wrong that my school isn’t letting me have extra times in exams cos I’m only Mild dyslexic it goes from A-D and I’m B . I’m in yr 11 and am sitting my GCSEs in may and I’m really strugerling in English I’m getting 2s in both English and my target is a 6
    Ask your SENCO about it. Also, if you have an Education Health and Care Plan, I believe you're automatically entitled to 25% extra time. That's how I got it. You could also ask about other options such as having a scribe (beware - I think this stops you from getting spelling marks) or using a word processor. However, most people who use these would have used them all the time, not just in Year 11.

Meanwhile, ask your teacher for extra support. You can't rely on getting extra time, but if you work at it, you can definitely turn a 2 into a 5.

I suspect the A-D the OP is talking about are specific to dyslexia and not a general score like a standardised score.

I don't think those criteria ever applied to me. For some reason I was told that I got extra time because I had an EHCP (because of my high-functioning autism), even though my standardised scores were way above 85 and I got literally no benefit from having it since the normal time was enough for me. In my opinion the extra time system is pretty flawed right now, and that's coming from someone who (probably unfairly) benefitted from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    if you have an Education Health and Care Plan, I believe you're automatically entitled to 25% extra time.
    It's not quite that clear cut, if you have an EHCP you don't need the same assessment as someone else but you can still only have extra time if a body of evidence of need has been built up - from what you've said you wouldn't have had permission for extra time at my school as you had no need.

I suspect the A-D the OP is talking about are specific to dyslexia and not a general score like a standardised score
    The only assessments that can be used for applying for extra time for dyslexia are those with results as standardised scores.

In my opinion the extra time system is pretty flawed right now
    I agree with you 100% on that one!

ReputationRep:
    The only assessments that can be used for applying for extra time for dyslexia are those with results as standardised scores.
    But maybe the grades A-D refer to certain bands of standardised scores. But I've looked it up and found no mention whatsoever of said grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.