Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accidentally ran a red light Watch

ReputationRep:
    I accidentally ran a red light, worried if I've been caught are the small black boxes on top of the traffic lights cameras?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Cars and motoring.

ReputationRep:
    Some lights have cameras that will register cars going through them after they've changed red, as well as taking note of your speed. How exactly did you manage to run a red light? Only way I can think of is if you were hesitant when it began to change.

Though I suspect they will argue that you had more than enough time to stop since you passed the light by the time it turned red, noting the two seconds or so it stays on amber.

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP

I asked a similar question about a week ago. I was in Blackpool to see illuminations and driving out to find a place to eat I was stopped at red lights.
    Suddenly I was very sure I saw lights turn green so I drove on through them. Only when unlooked back and could see the lights still on red and the cars still at a stop.

I consider it likely I may have gone through a red light. On top of the lights was a small black camera looking box with a red dot light on it.

I have since found out that the black box above the lights are not cameras, they are sensors to control the traffic flow. Unless there was a yellow box or something and you got flashed you should be fine.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well for us both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAFLiam)
    Some lights have cameras that will register cars going through them after they've changed red, as well as taking note of your speed. How exactly did you manage to run a red light? Only way I can think of is if you were hesitant when it began to change.

Though I suspect they will argue that you had more than enough time to stop since you passed the light by the time it turned red, noting the two seconds or so it stays on amber.
    The black boxes apparently are not cameras but sensors to monitor traffic flow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    The black boxes apparently are not cameras but sensors to monitor traffic flow
    In some cases yes, but my original point still stands - "Some lights have cameras that will register cars going through them after they've changed red"

ReputationRep:
    In some cases yes, but my original point still stands - "Some lights have cameras that will register cars going through them after they've changed red"
    Absolutely ********.

and you got this information from whom, the Illuminati ??

you're just a scare mongerer

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP

I asked a similar question about a week ago. I was in Blackpool to see illuminations and driving out to find a place to eat I was stopped at red lights.
    Suddenly I was very sure I saw lights turn green so I drove on through them. Only when unlooked back and could see the lights still on red and the cars still at a stop.

I consider it likely I may have gone through a red light. On top of the lights was a small black camera looking box with a red dot light on it.

I have since found out that the black box above the lights are not cameras, they are sensors to control the traffic flow. Unless there was a yellow box or something and you got flashed you should be fine.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well for us both
    I found that out too just wanted to know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they send a ticket to your address if you're caught?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterHopkinson)
    I found that out too just wanted to know for sure.
    Me too, I think we'll be fine
    (Original post by Ethan9133)
    Don't they send a ticket to your address if you're caught?
    Duh. Yes but instead of having to wait and be anxious not knowing if ones been caught we decided to research it ourselves
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ********.

I mean.. that poster just described a red light camera.. you don't need the Illuminati to tell you that they exist!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ********.

Um chill out, child. Some traffics lights DO have cameras which take note of a car's speed and whether or not they run a red light. Not every traffic light, but some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterHopkinson)
    I accidentally ran a red light, worried if I've been caught are the small black boxes on top of the traffic lights cameras?
    Traffic light cameras are generally big, bright yellow things that come with lines on the road. Usually there's a sign pointing out their presence as well. if you didn't see any of this, don't lose any sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Traffic light cameras are generally big, bright yellow things that come with lines on the road. Usually there's a sign pointing out their presence as well. if you didn't see any of this, don't lose any sleep.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    They’re speed cameras.....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    They’re speed cameras.....
    RLCs are generally thinner GATSOs, with all the common characteristics - I've not once seen an RLC that wasn't painted fluoresecent yellow.

ReputationRep:
    Um chill out, child. Some traffics lights DO have cameras which take note of a car's speed and whether or not they run a red light. Not every traffic light, but some.
    I am chilled out, about as chilled out as my favourite blue ice pops that have been frozen In the freezer for at least 24 hours.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dylantombides)
    I go through red lights all the time so feel I should comment. It seems 99% of the traffic lights don't have any cameras or similar. You'd be very VERY unlucky to have been caught by one.
    Assuming you're not a member of the emergency services:

Hard lad you, aren't ya? Let's hope someone places an inconvenient brick wall infront of you on a motorway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    RLCs are generally thinner GATSOs, with all the common characteristics - I've not once seen an RLC that wasn't painted fluoresecent yellow.
    Ok

The cameras on traffic lights in our area are grey
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Ok

The cameras on traffic lights in our area are grey
    They usually always have a fluorescent yellow coating on the back panel (opposite to the side with the lens). Obviously, it's at the discretion of the installing/maintaining force, but in my experience, it's rather standard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.