Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, she wants to cram a course into 3 months less than an academic year whilst working less than full time, and insulting anyone that tries to help.
    How have I insulted you? I called you out for being rude (because you were), then thanked you for your help. Don't take things so personally. If anyone is being insulting, it certainly isn't me.

Also, where did you get three months less than an academic year from? Starting a course 6 weeks into the typical academic year is hardly three months is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I don't understand - are you starting your course in the 17/18 academic year, or the 18/19?

You could only apply in the academic year, or after, you are attending your course in. If your course is for the 17/18 academic year but doesn't start until say, late October (for some reason) then certainly, although you wouldn't be able to apply to Medicine/Oxbridge, but since the deadline is Jan 15 otherwise it's fine.

If your Access course is for the 18/19 academic year and you want to apply in 2017 then no - you can only apply to start in the 18/19 academic year (which you wouldn't be able to due to not having the qualifications, and needing to study them in that year) and you wouldn't be able to apply for deferred entry as this does not permit study elsewhere, unless previously agreed upon with the university in question. I highly doubt a university is going to issue an acceptance to a student who won't even begin studying the relevant qualifications until the deferred year.

Now if you already had the relevant qualifications and were just taking the Access course for...fun, or whatever, then you could apply for deferred entry and provided the university making you an acceptance for deferred entry agrees to you doing so. Not telling them incidentally could be grounds for termination of the offer/acceptance so, I wouldn't recommend that.
    Hi, sorry I missed this post earlier.

Basically, I was initially wondering whether I would be able to apply through UCAS even though I haven't started the course yet. By this I mean, apply through UCAS for the next academic year 2018/19.

Because I was waiting on details about the potential grant I was going to be receiving, I was just curious as to whether I could still apply to the course even though I hadn't started the course yet, and so hadn't had any information on predicted grades etc.

The access course I am looking to do, you can start at any time in the year, as it is through distance learning. It isn't an Access course being completed through the "traditional" route ie. a FE college, whereby the start date is in September each year. I am planning on starting this course within the next week or so now, since I have discussed my situation with the course provider, and they have confirmed I can proceed without the grant. But that's a different story.

I don't have the relevant qualifications to get into University, so I am using the Access course as a route into University. Sorry for the confusion, but basically I am looking to start University next September.

I was unnecessarily confusing myself as to how I go around the UCAS application. I now know that my course provider will guide me through this process, and therefore I assume that they will be providing me with the predicted grades that I am expected to achieve by the end of the course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by anonygirl102)
    Hi, sorry I missed this post earlier.

Basically, I was initially wondering whether I would be able to apply through UCAS even though I haven't started the course yet. By this I mean, apply through UCAS for the next academic year 2018/19.

Because I was waiting on details about the potential grant I was going to be receiving, I was just curious as to whether I could still apply to the course even though I hadn't started the course yet, and so hadn't had any information on predicted grades etc.

The access course I am looking to do, you can start at any time in the year, as it is through distance learning. It isn't an Access course being completed through the "traditional" route ie. a FE college, whereby the start date is in September each year. I am planning on starting this course within the next week or so now, since I have discussed my situation with the course provider, and they have confirmed I can proceed without the grant. But that's a different story.

I don't have the relevant qualifications to get into University, so I am using the Access course as a route into University. Sorry for the confusion, but basically I am looking to start University next September.

I was unnecessarily confusing myself as to how I go around the UCAS application. I now know that my course provider will guide me through this process, and therefore I assume that they will be providing me with the predicted grades that I am expected to achieve by the end of the course.
    Ok well you seem to have worked it out...bear in mind the UCAS deadline of Jan 15th, and how effective a course providers predictions can be (and how seriously they will be taken by universities) in such a short amount of time. Prepare for the possibility that you may need to go through clearing or reapply during a year out.

I would also suggest you confirm with the universities you intend to apply to whether the specific Access course you're doing is acceptable by contacting them individually before applying. Not all Access courses are acceptable for all courses, and sometimes two similar access courses offered by different providers may not both be accepted due to differences in how the provider administers and more importantly assesses the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Ok well you seem to have worked it out...bear in mind the UCAS deadline of Jan 15th, and how effective a course providers predictions can be (and how seriously they will be taken by universities) in such a short amount of time. Prepare for the possibility that you may need to go through clearing or reapply during a year out.

I would also suggest you confirm with the universities you intend to apply to whether the specific Access course you're doing is acceptable by contacting them individually before applying. Not all Access courses are acceptable for all courses, and sometimes two similar access courses offered by different providers may not both be accepted due to differences in how the provider administers and more importantly assesses the course.
    Ok thanks. I have emailed universities about this to double check that the specific course I am doing would be accepted. Just waiting on a response from them.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an online access course and with my providers you need to have completed 10 units before they will give you an academic reference, so you would have to apply as an independent student. While your time frame is achieveable its very hard work, you wont get a lot of support so be ready to slog your guts out alone. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.