Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am due to begin a Psychology Conversion MSc, at the University of Derby, via distance learning (at the end of January).

I have a few questions to anyone who may currently be studying/has graduated from a similar course. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

1) How many hours of study were you required to put in for both a part time and full time route? I have read that we should allocate 20 and 40 hours respectively, would you say this is accurate?

2) What is a reasonable number of hours that you would recommend committing to paid work, whilst studying? I will definitely need to work alongside my studies, but don't want to let my grades slip due to working too many hours.

3) How challenging/demanding did you find the course generally? Was it a significant step up from your undergrad?

4) Finally, just how difficult was it to achieve a high 2:1? And is a first almost unheard of?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but i'm about to embark on the same this September. Looking to hear how it is going for you and whether you ended up doing part time or full time? I have 2 children at school and working part time, so want to know if it would be even possible to do the course full-time with those commitments....

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ohljoon)
    Hi, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but i'm about to embark on the same this September. Looking to hear how it is going for you and whether you ended up doing part time or full time? I have 2 children at school and working part time, so want to know if it would be even possible to do the course full-time with those commitments....

Thank you!
    Hi,

Glad to hear you're starting the conversion course in September! I don't do the MSc conversion course, but I do the Masters in Clinical Aspects of Psychology course so hopefully I can answer some of your questions!

In terms of the amount of additional hours you need to commit, they recommend that the hours of independent study you commit reflects the number of credits each module is worth - for example, a 10 credit module could have 15 hours of lectures, so lecturers recommend committing enough independent study to make up the 100 hours. However, this often depends on the type of assessment and the amount of readings that are required before lectures. It's very manageable and never seems like you're doing 100 odd hours when it's spread out.

In terms of working part-time, the university requirements are that full-time students only work 20 hours a week. This is to ensure students have enough time to commit to study and other responsibilities.

Regarding how much of a step up the course is from undergraduate, I obviously can't talk from the conversion course, but moving from undergraduate to masters level is quite a step up. The hardest part for me was the level of improvement expected in your writing. However, the university has some great support and lecturers are very happy to help you work out how to improve!

I really enjoy doing my masters and the amount of skill and experience I've gained from the course and from Reading is brilliant and has helped me to secure a full-time job for after finishing. I think if you're worried, you should talk to the department about how feasible a full-time course is with your circumstance.

I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to ask any more questions!

Ruth
    Student Ambassador/Psychology Masters Student

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.