Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Regretting my uni choice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Essentially I'm absolutely hating my university!

I'm at a campus uni, in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest city is awful - I honestly can't understand why I chose to go here, except for its good reputation, and the ego boost that goes with it. On a day-to-day basis it's fine here, my course is interesting, but my flatmates are dire, and as soon as I finish my work I'm reminded of how miserable I am, and how boring it is here - there's really nothing to do. I was really torn between this uni and another, in a city, when I was deciding on my firm last year, and I really think I should have gone with the other one.

It's currently a survivable situation, and it may well get better over time, but I can't help but feel that I could have such a better time somewhere else, in a city university. How bad do you think it has to be before I drop out? Is it unreasonable to drop out and restart somewhere else more interesting?

Be kind please - I'm a little fragile
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're at Warwick lol?

ReputationRep:
    Must be Warwick, maybe Durham? But Durham has Newcastle, so Warwick

ReputationRep:
    oh wow that’s v sad
    which uni is it though lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet_Male)
    Sounds like you're at Warwick lol?
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Must be Warwick, maybe Durham? But Durham has Newcastle, so Warwick
    You're not wrong haha, it's an absolute dump - so dead

ReputationRep:
    How desperate must you be to go to Warwick for the ego boost

(flame war ensues while I go to bed )

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying at Warwick, because I'm in first year at Warwick.
    I quite like it here to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitype)
    Are you studying at Warwick, because I'm in first year at Warwick.
    I quite like it here to be honest...
    Fair enough - you might well have a better flat than I do. it's not really working for me though
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aneurinbevan)
    Fair enough - you might well have a better flat than I do. it's not really working for me though
    So you like the course, but not your flatmates... well at least they will only be your flatmates for a year.

Have you tried to establish some other friendship networks... societies/clubs/sports etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    So you like the course, but not your flatmates... well at least they will only be your flatmates for a year.

Have you tried to establish some other friendship networks... societies/clubs/sports etc. ?
    Yeah I have, but everyone is really cliquey and there aren't any societies I really want to do
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, but everyone is really cliquey and there aren't any societies I really want to do
    TBH it sounds like you need to make the effort though...

You can potentially transfer to a different university (and join in Year 2) but that won't happen until next October, so one way or the other you need to make the best of this year (or drop out, but I'm not sure you really want to do that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    TBH it sounds like you need to make the effort though...

You can potentially transfer to a different university (and join in Year 2) but that won't happen until next October, so one way or the other you need to make the best of this year (or drop out, but I'm not sure you really want to do that).
    It's pretty hard to make the effort when you feel as miserable as I do tbh, and even harder when you go to societies and nobody is even interested in you

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try on your course? Or take up a sport or something, it's always a hoot and people tend to be friendlier than you'd think.

ReputationRep:
    What are you interested in?

What, before you got there, did you think you would be doing that hasn't worked out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    What are you interested in?

What, before you got there, did you think you would be doing that hasn't worked out?
    I'm interested in music, but spent most of the my first two weeks feeling miserable, with no motivation to do anything so missed the auditions for the things I wanted to join. I've signed up to do some volunteering and I'm in the societies for my course, but when I went to their socials they were very cliquey, so I don't really feel like going back.

I just didn't expect it to be so lonely
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in music, but spent most of the my first two weeks feeling miserable, with no motivation to do anything so missed the auditions for the things I wanted to join.
    Ask if you can audition now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in music, but spent most of the my first two weeks feeling miserable, with no motivation to do anything so missed the auditions for the things I wanted to join. I've signed up to do some volunteering and I'm in the societies for my course, but when I went to their socials they were very cliquey, so I don't really feel like going back.

I just didn't expect it to be so lonely
    These aren't things that are likely to be related to the amount of concrete in Coventry. You are not likely to find other universities any better.

Everyone else was a stranger to each other three weeks ago as well. It isn't anyone else's job to befriend you. I think you are going to have to make an effort to join in.

Do you play an instrument or sing? If so which or what voice?

ReputationRep:
    Epitype Quiet_Male I'm at Warwick! Hmu it's so interesting meeting fellow Warwickians (is that even a wOrd?????) on here!

ReputationRep:
    What was the other university you were choosing between for your firm?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Essentially I'm absolutely hating my university!

I'm at a campus uni, in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest city is awful - I honestly can't understand why I chose to go here, except for its good reputation, and the ego boost that goes with it. On a day-to-day basis it's fine here, my course is interesting, but my flatmates are dire, and as soon as I finish my work I'm reminded of how miserable I am, and how boring it is here - there's really nothing to do. I was really torn between this uni and another, in a city, when I was deciding on my firm last year, and I really think I should have gone with the other one.

It's currently a survivable situation, and it may well get better over time, but I can't help but feel that I could have such a better time somewhere else, in a city university. How bad do you think it has to be before I drop out? Is it unreasonable to drop out and restart somewhere else more interesting?

Thanks!
    hey, what course do you do? and what accomodation ? im at warwick too (1st year)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.