Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey all, so basically my dilemma is i initially i started out wanting to do medicine. after some 'somewhat' invaluable work exp, i decided it wasn't for me. instead due to my 3rd a level of economics. (i'm doing bio chem econ) i began developing a massive interest for economics as a degree. i enjoy the subject and i find it very interesting. i'm applying for some economics courses this year, however i've been very limited to middle rank unis. (best is probably loughborough who want B only at GCSE) so my question is if i achieve my precited of A*A*A*A (EPQ ASWELL) and then did maths a level in my gap year... what are the chances i will get into economics for a top uni... more specifially Cambridge LSE, UCL. would i be at a disadvantage due to the fact i'm a year older or at at advantage as i already have 'A levels in the bag' Cambridge would be my main goal though..

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    It depends how high your grades are this year. Say if you got 2A*s and A this year then it would be quite likely you'd be able to get at least an A in maths in a gap year. That said they might be weary of the fact that you haven't done any maths for 2 years.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Light.Y)
    hey all, so basically my dilemma is i initially i started out wanting to do medicine. after some 'somewhat' invaluable work exp, i decided it wasn't for me. instead due to my 3rd a level of economics. (i'm doing bio chem econ) i began developing a massive interest for economics as a degree. i enjoy the subject and i find it very interesting. i'm applying for some economics courses this year, however i've been very limited to middle rank unis. (best is probably loughborough who want B only at GCSE) so my question is if i achieve my precited of A*A*A*A (EPQ ASWELL) and then did maths a level in my gap year... what are the chances i will get into economics for a top uni... more specifially Cambridge LSE, UCL. would i be at a disadvantage due to the fact i'm a year older or at at advantage as i already have 'A levels in the bag' Cambridge would be my main goal though..

many thanks
    What are you other A-levels?

The gap year isn't a problem for Cambridge (it's only sometimes an issue if you are applying for maths, which you aren't).

Taking an extra A-level outside the normal 2 year period *might* be ok as you aren't resiting it, just doing it because you have the "wrong" A-levels.

It will probably be worth asking one of the ATs on TSR after the current rush of 2018 cycle applications has subsided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    What are you other A-levels?

The gap year isn't a problem for Cambridge (it's only sometimes an issue if you are applying for maths, which you aren't).

Taking an extra A-level outside the normal 2 year period *might* be ok as you aren't resiting it, just doing it because you have the "wrong" A-levels.

It will probably be worth asking one of the ATs on TSR after the current rush of 2018 cycle applications has subsided.
    im doing: biology,chemistry,economics due to me originally wanting to pursue medicine..
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Would probably be in your interest to also take Further Maths A-Levels.
    I was thinking that too - or at least AS FM (if that's still available?)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above poster, but I'd say that being a year older and having your A levels in the bag gives you a decent advantage. Maybe try to find some economics related work experience alongside the Maths A level during your gap year- it can be invaluable. i know people who achieve mediocre grades at A level and went on to study at top universities because they had professional work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Can I do ALL of Maths A level with further maths in a year though.. even with my 8 hour a day of studying, rule is that feasible..?!!

ReputationRep:
    Can I do ALL of Maths A level with further maths in a year though.. even with my 8 hour a day of studying, rule is that feasible..?!!
    Yes, you could do it in much less than a year with much less studying a day if you're sufficiently fast at learning lots of boring and easy material (are you?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arneldfad)
    I agree with the above poster, but I'd say that being a year older and having your A levels in the bag gives you a decent advantage. Maybe try to find some economics related work experience alongside the Maths A level during your gap year- it can be invaluable. i know people who achieve mediocre grades at A level and went on to study at top universities because they had professional work experience.
    I have KPMG work exp this Christmas if that helps
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It would be equivalent to doing 4 A2s - so yes it's absolutely possible.

ReputationRep:
    That'll be great. Try and get as good a variety as you can, or try and get some longer term experience with KPMG.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is although I don't know how it is in terms of content covered and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is, as a standalone, yes.

[Is Econ planning on making FM a requirement? I know Maths is soon enough, forgot it I heard similar for Econ]
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I believe it is, as a standalone, yes.

[Is Econ planning on making FM a requirement? I know Maths is soon enough, forgot it I heard similar for Econ]
    Don't think so. And Engineering isn't (yet) either.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by arneldfad)
    Work experience is not a requirement for economics at Cambridge. If you have some then great, but it definitely won't offset "mediocre" grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you could do it in much less than a year with much less studying a day if you're sufficiently fast at learning lots of boring and easy material (are you?).
    Haha i commend that can you call further maths easy xD but answering your question, yes i can learn material pretty quickly. tend to smash out past papers early on and eliminate any mistakes i have.

ReputationRep:
    yes i can learn material pretty quickly. tend to smash out past papers early on and eliminate any mistakes i have.
    Then you'll be done with maths and further maths in a few weeks if you're doing 8 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    Then you'll be done with maths and further maths in a few weeks if you're doing 8 hours a day.
    you're making it sound a breeze. !!! xD most people that i know got Ds at AS maths after a whole year of doing it. but then again without sounding arrogant my academic merit differs substantially from most in my year
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    you're making it sound a breeze. !!! xD most people that i know got Ds at AS maths after a whole year of doing it. but then again without sounding arrogant my academic merit differs substantially from most in my year
    An A*A*A* student can cope with A-level Maths (if you like maths, which is a requirement if you want to do economics...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.