Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hm, there really should be a Gap Year forum somewhere as I'm not sure where to put this.

I was just wondering what everyone is planning on doing in their Gap Year? At the moment I'm going away on holiday with friends in October (didn't go away this summer as I was house-sitting) then I'll look for a full-time job (or hell, apply now but tell them I'm going on holiday for the week). I'll work for most of the year then perhaps have a month at the end where I travel overseas, maybe as part of an organisation or project. Working is the main priority really, I'll need the money.

I already have a part-time job at Sainsbury's (been there since I was 15) and the pay is shockingly good for the job but I'd like to do some work in the subject area that my degree will be in (computing). And Sainsbury's won't let me change my hours and have banned overtime. Online searching for jobs has proved about as useful as a one-legged man in an arse kicking contest although I have found two London jobs which I may apply to (game QA testing - the train fare will be a pain though). Do you think the local job center will be able to hook me up with a relavent company to work for in the Gap Year?

Wow, I rambled. So, what are you doing in your gap year? :P

ReputationRep:
    7 months for aiding and abetting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonJam)

Wow, I rambled. So, what are you doing in your gap year? :P
    Go to your local Connexxions centre... they should know places you can go and who to ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year (though it was not planned!). I have just applied to few jobs and think I'm going to take up the one at the Civil Service (the pays good and I need experience in the legal field anyway). I'm planning to go on holiday over Christmas and New Year and then back to work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    Go to your local Connexxions centre... they should know places you can go and who to ask.
    Cheers Do you know if they have a website? My local job center closed down a few weeks ago and I'm not sure where my local branch is.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.connexions.gov.uk/

Also: http://www.yini.org.uk/ should be able to help with computing work placements.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished by Gap Year and I'm really glad I took one. I did the following:

Did a 'Year In Industry' working as a Marketing Assistant from July '03 to July '04.
    Went to Amsterdam for a weekend with a mate.
    Went to Australia for a week to meet up with my mates who were doing 3 months of travelling.
    Went to Thailand for 3 weeks on my own on a tour.
    Went to Reading Festival.

It was great, I'm so glad I didn't go straight to Uni which I now feel ready for and a bit (little) better off financially.

ReputationRep:
    im doing year 13 again

ReputationRep:
    The current plan is;

- Trekking the Atlas Planes in Morrocco
    - Working
    - Teaching (Maths, Economics etc.) in Vanatau (near Fiji) for 6months
    - Trekking in Vanatau
    - Continuing on a RTW ticket, through Australia / South America / USA and hopefully once again do some more trekking and see the sights.

*waves at the debt*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    The current plan is;

- Working
    - Trekking in Vanatau
    - Continuing on a RTW ticket, through Australia / South America / USA and hopefully once again do some more trekking and see the sights.

*waves at the debt*
    Didn't World Challenge put you OFF trekking again!! Bloody hell that's intense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    I've just finished by Gap Year and I'm really glad I took one. I did the following:

Did a 'Year In Industry' working as a Marketing Assistant from July '03 to July '04.
    Went to Amsterdam for a weekend with a mate.
    Went to Australia for a week to meet up with my mates who were doing 3 months of travelling.
    Went to Thailand for 3 weeks on my own on a tour.
    Went to Reading Festival.

It was great, I'm so glad I didn't go straight to Uni which I now feel ready for and a bit (little) better off financially.
    If my gap yr is anything like yours - I think I will be extremely happy with myself too!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by corey)
    The current plan is;

- Working
    - Trekking in Vanatau

*waves at the debt*
    *jealous*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Didn't World Challenge put you OFF trekking again!! Bloody hell that's intense
    Nothing beats having your whole life in your backpack!

Besides, I love walking, the hard work is worth it to see the countries as you can't really experience countries without really getting out there imo. Of course the feeling of accomplishment also

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    *jealous*

I'll post pictures for you (if I'm still on this forum in a years time!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Nothing beats having your whole life in your backpack!

Besides, I love walking, the hard work is worth it to see the countries as you can't really experience countries without really getting out there imo. Of course the feeling of accomplishment also
    I can't disagree with that, it was incredible/fantastic and whatever other adjectives i could throw in there, but it was so damn hard, almost killed me!
    Once in a lifetime experience, but notice the ONCE! I don't think i could be persuaded to go gallivanting up another mountain, at least not for a long while!

Sounds pretty awesome though, how far/high do you go? Or is too early to ask that question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    im doing year 13 again
    me too

ReputationRep:
    hey absolution, how did u get an avatar which is bigger that 50x50, it never works for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prongs_TheGreat)
    hey absolution, how did u get an avatar which is bigger that 50x50, it never works for me!
    he got it before ukl made the 50 by 50 limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    I can't disagree with that, it was incredible/fantastic and whatever other adjectives i could throw in there, but it was so damn hard, almost killed me!
    Once in a lifetime experience, but notice the ONCE! I don't think i could be persuaded to go gallivanting up another mountain, at least not for a long while!

Sounds pretty awesome though, how far/high do you go? Or is too early to ask that question.
    I doubt i'll be higher than 3000-3500 metres, the treks that go fairly higher such as Everest base camp etc. are jusy walked wayyy too much, I prefer being isolated (well except my walking partners)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 and just starting to plan my gap year...

I'm going to do marine conservation in Fiji

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do much but I've had a great gap year.

I worked from 1 September to 1 September, Mon to Fri 9-5.30. I went out in the evenings, saw a lot of my boyf and friends, and generally had a nice relaxing year earning lots of money without having the hassle and stress of exams to worry about. No regrets for me!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.