The Student Room Group

Can you reuse a personal statement

I applied to university last year but changed my mind and I'm currently on a gap year but in the process of applying to uni again now, can I use the same personal statement as last year?
Reply 1
Original post by Marley1999
I applied to university last year but changed my mind and I'm currently on a gap year but in the process of applying to uni again now, can I use the same personal statement as last year?

No, sorry. It would be flagged under the plagiarism checker as a previously used personal statement - even if it was your own.
Reply 2

Original post by aidenj
No, sorry. It would be flagged under the plagiarism checker as a previously used personal statement - even if it was your own.

Above is nonsense, you can certainly use the same personal statement. When you create your new UCAS application, you will be (eventually) assigned the same UCAS ID as your last application, linking the two together and meaning you cannot plagiarize your own statement.
Original post by Zacken
Above is nonsense, you can certainly use the same personal statement. When you create your new UCAS application, you will be (eventually) assigned the same UCAS ID as your last application, linking the two together and meaning you cannot plagiarize your own statement.

Self plagiarism is a thing, but you really never know till you get caught. Or, the OP can maybe ask UCAS themselves. I'm sure they have a contact number/email for this sort of thing.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken

I just looked it up and yes I am wrong, my school told everyone wrong xD!
Reply 5
Original post by arneldfad
Self plagiarism is a thing, but you really never know till you get caught. Or, the OP can maybe ask UCAS themselves. I'm sure they have a contact number/email for this sort of thing.

Nonsense. This is an established process. You're free to use the same personal statement. (that said, I don't really care if you believe me or not)

Original post by aidenj
I just looked it up and yes I am wrong, my school told everyone wrong xD!

Would have been a good idea to look it up before answering.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Nonsense. This is an established process and instead of calling and wasting UCAS's time you can easily find existing documentation about the process online.

Sorry, sir.

:| :K:
Original post by Zacken
Nonsense. This is an established process. You're free to use the same personal statement. (that said, I don't really care if you believe me or not)

I'm not questioning whether you're telling the truth or not lmao, don't rage. Even if it is an established process, I'm sure it'd be great for the OP's peace of mind to hear it from an official source.

Yes, you can.
Hiya Marley:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum in case other people want to know the same thing, it saves them making a thread and they'll probably be looking in this sub-forum.:wink:

I can confirm that @Zacken is right,:h: you can re-use it, which UCAS have confirmed here.
Original post by 04MR17
:h: you can re-use it,

But you shouldn't. It would very disappointing if you gained no life experience relevant to your application in a whole year. Even if you were in a coma for the entire year, say something abut that.
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya Marley:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum in case other people want to know the same thing, it saves them making a thread and they'll probably be looking in this sub-forum.:wink:

ex dee
Original post by nulli tertius
But you shouldn't. It would very disappointing if you gained no life experience relevant to your application in a whole year. Even if you were in a coma for the entire year, say something abut that.
Agreed, but the question here is can, not should.:wink: Though it's worth tagging @OP so that they see your advice.:wink:
Original post by arneldfad

I've used 95% the same personal statement again and got no flags (0% similarity report), so there's a source for you..
Original post by Ze Witcher
I've used 95% the same personal statement again and got no flags (0% similarity report), so there's a source for you..

Poster above already linked a credible source, but thanks anyway.
https://www.ucas.com/file/4766/download?token=pSJOtql1

The verification process
Copycatch identifies sentences in a personal statement that are matched to other personal statements already held in the Copycatch system.
Levels of similarity are checked by trained staff who decide whether you and the institutions you are applying to need to be informed that similarity has been found.
The universities and colleges you are applying to decide on the significance of the results and what action, if any, to take.
Your personal statement will not be compared to your earlier applications, if you have applied in previous cycles or schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest