Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    X writes to Y offering to sell bottles at $2 each. on receipt of the message Y sends a message to X if he would agree to $1 each for a bottle. Later that day Y sends another message to X saying disregard earlier phone call i accept your offer of $2. X however goes ahead to sell the bottles to Z.
    Was Y's offer a counter offer and could X sell the bottles to Z?

ReputationRep:
    When you say phone call I presume you're referring to the earlier text message where Y asks for $1 a bottle as opposed to $2?

It really depends on the content of the initial letter, whether X would be permitted to sell to Z.

When Y asks for $1 a bottle, that is a counter though, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    When you say phone call I presume you're referring to the earlier text message where Y asks for $1 a bottle as opposed to $2?

It really depends on the content of the initial letter, whether X would be permitted to sell to Z.

When Y asks for $1 a bottle, that is a counter though, yes.
    First of all thanks so much for replying lol and then secondly i would like to know that even thought the statement expressly states that "Y leaves a message on his answering machine asking if he would agree to $1 per bottle" the fact that Y is asking does not in any way make it an inquiry and if so why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veagyeimensah)
    First of all thanks so much for replying lol and then secondly i would like to know that even thought the statement expressly states that "Y leaves a message on his answering machine asking if he would agree to $1 per bottle" the fact that Y is asking does not in any way make it an inquiry and if so why?
    It says Y sends a message.

I'd view it as a counter, but it could be construed either way.

The reason I'd more inclined to say counter would be the fact that Y disregards the initial offer from X (doesn't mention it) and proposes a new offer.

ReputationRep:
    okay great, i get it now.. thanks a lot God bless you
    (Original post by utr)
    It says Y sends a message.

I'd view it as a counter, but it could be construed either way.

The reason I'd more inclined to say counter would be the fact that Y disregards the initial offer from X (doesn't mention it) and proposes a new offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.