Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can we get an automatic "lock thread after a year of inactivity bot"? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should there be an auto locking thread after 1 year of inactivity bot?
    Yes (But also have the feature for OP to unlock.)
    62.50%
    Yes (But don't have feature for OP to unlock.)
    18.75%
    No
    18.75%

ReputationRep:
    Can we get some sort of thing that straight up locks inactive threads that have not been posted to in over a year? (just stops you from replying to the thread, not blocking it from view. could say a message like "this thread is over a year old, how about joining in on a newer thread on the bar to the right" in the box where you normally write messages.)

You get so many troll accounts resurrecting threads from 2010 adding completely useless information which can't be used as the OP is probably dead.

I think there should be a feature that allows the OP to unlock it if they want, just in case they're adding to it as a yearly update or something. Otherwise it floods the "latest" tab with the "Oldest" stuff (which I personally find annoying) Add ideas to this as well if you want or say if you think its a good idea or not, I'll add a poll to see what you guys think.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    Can we get some sort of thing that straight up locks inactive threads that have not been posted to in over a year? (just stops you from replying to the thread, not blocking it from view. could say a message like "this thread is over a year old, how about joining in on a newer thread on the bar to the right" in the box where you normally write messages.)

You get so many troll accounts resurrecting threads from 2010 adding completely useless information which can't be used as the OP is probably dead.

I think there should be a feature that allows the OP to unlock it if they want, just in case they're adding to it as a yearly update or something. Otherwise it floods the "latest" tab with the "Oldest" stuff (which I personally find annoying) Add ideas to this as well if you want or say if you think its a good idea or not, I'll add a poll to see what you guys think.
    Hmmm, I see your point, I guess there are some exceptions though, e.g. 'History Students at University of Canberra' (made up example) - posters may be few and far between but still value in keeping it open. Or annual TV shows like University Challenge which is a popular thread for many years now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Hmmm, I see your point, I guess there are some exceptions though, e.g. 'History Students at University of Canberra' (made up example) - posters may be few and far between but still value in keeping it open. Or annual TV shows like University Challenge which is a popular thread for many years now
    I guess there could be a thing where you can make an exception for the bot. Or you can ask a person to keep it open for 5 years instead of 1. That'd fix that issue, I don't think many threads would be affected by this so it'd be easy to just do something like this (example pseudo code):

If time(lastPost) >= 1 year AND thread <> exceptthreadlist(999999) Then
    Call - Close(threadID) #this calls a function which closes the thread.
    End If

Then when the OP goes on:

If threadviewer = threadstarter then
    MsgBox(Would you like to re open this thread?)
    selectbox(yes) and selectbox(no)
    if selected=yes then
    call open(threadID)
    End If
    End If

yea, something LIKE what this is, obviously adapted for the actual JAVA/HTML code, but it'd be a rough idea of what it'd be like.
    remember it's all based on the time since the last post to the thread, so if its "Popular" it wont be locked.

ReputationRep:
    Trolls usually just create new threads though, so it wouldn't really solve anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Trolls usually just create new threads though, so it wouldn't really solve anything.
    It resolves the resurrecting of old threads problem (seems to be trolls that do it, or confused people), it mainly happens at night but it's still there and it's annoying to most/some. If there's like 6 res'ed threads then it floods the news feed, washing out interesting threads and also one's where people have genuine questions. It wont effect anything in a bad way as threads can be unlocked by the OP (if people vote for that), staff could also unlock threads too.

It to me seems like a perfect idea, it solves a problem with the website, it doesn't affect anything new, it's not too noticeable unless you try to post a message in the thread, (if we're going from feedback) then it could also be "removed" from some threads too if requested.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the problem may be TSR putting links to similar threads at the bottom of a thread. Posters click into that, assume it is current, and reply to it, bringing it back to life again.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    All it needs is a warning when people post in threads that have been inactive for >3 months

“This thread was started in YEAR and the most recent post was on DATE. Are you sure you want to reply?” And give the option of yes or “no make a new thread “

ReputationRep:
    Agree, a lot of trolls have been bumping threads almost a decade old lately, very annoying.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    All it needs is a warning when people post in threads that have been inactive for >3 months

“This thread was started in YEAR and the most recent post was on DATE. Are you sure you want to reply?” And give the option of yes or “no make a new thread “
    I agree with this post here. A warning would be far more viable :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I agree that bumped threads gets annoying and confusing. A system like a warning could be very useful. Especially with the "similar threads" shown often being very old (I've fallen for that one before).
    I think auto locking would be a bit complicated or demanding for the system and would look a bit authoritarian too. I wouldn't like seeing all those padlocks personally. Maybe have them greyed out or have a little clock symbol to show they are old.
    I think most bumps are an accident, but maybe something could be put in place for if people are seen to bump old threads often. Something like the "you must wait x time between posts", but with bumping year or more old threads.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.