Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I lose 1kg a week? :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I started hitting the gym early august and when until about mid-late September.

Stopped then because I was moving for uni so wanted to cancel the subscription before they could charge me for the month I wouldn't really be able to use. Hopped on the scale at that time and found I lost 2kg in weight - not bad? :? So I was then 69kg from 71ish - maybe 72.

So I didn't work out for about 3 weeks - mostly due to lack of gym equipment (too lazy to do calisthenics), getting ready for uni and of course freshers. For those three weeks I barely ate - diet was **** - a lot of it being alcohol.

Started gym again recently. Yesterday I measured my weight and body fat and found I'm still 69kg but I actually lost one kg of muscle and one kg of body fat. Overall bf percentage went down but barely.

So I'm not sure whether I had originally lost 2kg bf and then gained 1kg and lost 1kg muscle or some other weird combination.

But overall, since August I've only lost 1kg of bf and I'm pretty disappointed.

But yeah - now I'm motivated to eat better by following a meal plan. If I have a caloric deficit of about 1000 will I be able to lose 2 pounds/close to 1kg of body fat a week?

ReputationRep:
    I'll tag the fitness guys

It's****ingWOODY
    shameful_burrito
    TehFen
    Gone Revising II

Personally 1000 calories seems like an awful lot to me. I would aim for a 500 calorie deficit at most... you might want to be a bit more patient with your weight loss

ReputationRep:
    As eden3 pretty much said, a 1000 deficit for someone floating around 70kg is gonna be tough and you'd basically be on a crash diet. Doing this and then going back to eating more is never gonna end well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    As eden3 pretty much said, a 1000 deficit for someone floating around 70kg is gonna be tough and you'd basically be on a crash diet. Doing this and then going back to eating more is never gonna end well.
    So one pound a week is the fastest I can go? And do you have any idea how I lost 1kg of muscle? Was it stopping gym for 3 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you plan on eating like that for the rest of your life, the weight will come back. Don't lose weight too quickly as its unsustainable. Losing muscle mass is due to lack of exercise and low protein intake (this counts for like 75% of the time as some people lose it due to metabolic disorders.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    So one pound a week is the fastest I can go? And do you have any idea how I lost 1kg of muscle? Was it stopping gym for 3 weeks?
    whats the rush, at a 500 calorie deficit ur gonna feel a bit *****y. 200-300 is slow and steady fat loss whilst u wont feel drained-in my experience.
    not going to the gym and a **** diet you'll lose a bit of muscle-but 1kg in 3weeks seems a lot, don't use those *****y bf% scales

ReputationRep:
    How do you know you've lost 1kg of muscle specifically? Either way, you may have lost some intra-muscular glycogen and water storage which makes them appear smaller, but unless you've been starving yourself you won't have lost any muscle in 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    How do you know you've lost 1kg of muscle specifically? Either way, you may have lost some intra-muscular glycogen and water storage which makes them appear smaller, but unless you've been starving yourself you won't have lost any muscle in 3 weeks.
    Losing glycogen and water storage is good or bad? I hadn't thought about it tbh and just assumed the other 1kg came from muscle. I'll try and find the sheet with my older stats.

(Original post by angrypoliceman)
    whats the rush, at a 500 calorie deficit ur gonna feel a bit *****y. 200-300 is slow and steady fat loss whilst u wont feel drained-in my experience.
    not going to the gym and a **** diet you'll lose a bit of muscle-but 1kg in 3weeks seems a lot, don't use those *****y bf% scales
    Hmm yeah - I was feeling pretty optimistic before the results- stomach seemed a lot flatter and my trousers are too large at the waist now. Hopefully you're right and the scale is inaccurate/ or I just didn't take water loss into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Losing glycogen and water storage is good or bad? I hadn't thought about it tbh and just assumed the other 1kg came from muscle. I'll try and find the sheet with my older stats.
    It's not ideal, but it's temporary.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I think I know what happened.

When I took my weight at the beginning of august, I remember it being in the morning so I didn't eat much.

The day I took the measurement above I actually ate a massive meal beforehand.

Today I took one measurement while fasting and once at the end of my feeding time and I gained like over a kilo in such a short time (didnt go toilet in that time).

So... I ****ed up basic math!

This means (well hopefully), I actually lost 7kg in 13 weeks which averages to about a pound a week. I'm happy.

The smaller waist makes sense now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Okay I think I know what happened.

When I took my weight at the beginning of august, I remember it being in the morning so I didn't eat much.

The day I took the measurement above I actually ate a massive meal beforehand.

Today I took one measurement while fasting and once at the end of my feeding time and I gained like over a kilo in such a short time (didnt go toilet in that time).

So... I ****ed up basic math!

This means (well hopefully), I actually lost 7kg in 13 weeks which averages to about a pound a week. I'm happy.

The smaller waist makes sense now.
    How tall are you?
    69kg is really not overweight for a male (unless you're like 5'4 and don't use weights)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    How tall are you?
    69kg is really not overweight for a male (unless you're like 5'4 and don't use weights)
    177cm

I know it's a "healthy weight" but I'm cutting since my BF is over 25% iirc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    177cm

I know it's a "healthy weight" but I'm cutting since my BF is over 25% iirc.
    You're the same height as me, you are not overweight at 69kg and you certainly do not have a bf% of 25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You're the same height as me, you are not overweight at 69kg and you certainly do not have a bf% of 25%
    Early August I used one of those bf measurement scales at the gym. At 71kg I was 28.9%. Then at the time of starting this thread I got 69kg at 28.6%.

What bf do you think I'm really at? BTW I'm now 65kg.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Early August I used one of those bf measurement scales at the gym. At 71kg I was 28.9%. Then at the time of starting this thread I got 69kg at 28.6%.

What bf do you think I'm really at? BTW I'm now 65kg.
    No idea, I'm not there to examine you with calipers nor put you in a dexa scan, you absolutely are not overweight not obese. And if you've really crashed dieted to 65kg, you're now borderline underweight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    No idea, I'm not there to examine you with calipers nor put you in a dexa scan, you absolutely are not overweight not obese. And if you've really crashed dieted to 65kg, you're now borderline underweight
    My caloric deficit has been max 700 a day.

69 to 65 since early August is pretty normal.

I never said I was overweight either. And my BMI is 20-21 so not borderline underweight .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.