Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using the ideal gas law to calcuate the volume of CO2 Watch

ReputationRep:
    So here's my reaction:
    2NaHCO3 --> Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

I need to use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of CO2 which would be created according to the ideal gas law.

Here's what I know:
    0.3 grams of 2NaHCO3 is used.
    The temperature was 292 K.
    2NaHCO3 has a molar mass of 168.
    CO2 has a molar mass of 44.
    It was normal atmospheric pressure.

I understand how to use the ideal gas law, but the units keep putting me off. Anyone willing to help?

NOTE: This is not a task created by our teacher. It is simply for my own understanding, as I am not taking chemistry in what would the Danish equivalent of A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to calculate the amount (in mol) of CO2.
    You'll use whatever value for 'normal atmospheric pressure' that you normally use (101000 Pa?)
    Rearrange PV = nRT and plug all your numbers in.
    The answer will come out in m3 (rather than the usual dm3 or cm3), so the answer will appear to be VERY small. If you wanted to convert into cm3, just multiply your answer by 1000000.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.