Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 now and want to study civil engineering at uni. Can anyone recommend any books for wider reading? Thanks =)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia.C)
    I'm in year 12 now and want to study civil engineering at uni. Can anyone recommend any books for wider reading? Thanks =)
    To Engineer is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design, by Henry Petroski

In fact, Henry Petroski is a quite recommended author so his other books might also be worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    To Engineer is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design, by Henry Petroski

In fact, Henry Petroski is a quite recommended author so his other books might also be worth a read.
    Thanks you =)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For wider reading are you looking for just general interest reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    For wider reading are you looking for just general interest reading?
    Mainly out of interest, partially for my personal statement. But I have 2 years, am a fast reader and genuinely really interested, so I'm looking for quite a few books to read
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia.C)
    Mainly out of interest, partially for my personal statement. But I have 2 years, am a fast reader and genuinely really interested, so I'm looking for quite a few books to read
    A small but very interesting one to read is Civil Engineering: A Very Short Introduction. The further reading I did for my PS was mostly articles on the ICE site and going to a talk, read that book on a placement during my breaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    A small but very interesting one to read is Civil Engineering: A Very Short Introduction. The further reading I did for my PS was mostly articles on the ICE site and going to a talk, read that book on a placement during my breaks.
    Thank you! That looks really interesting =)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need to do wider reading for engineering. Most universities for engineering will barely look at your PS anyway

If you aren't doing FM, the best wider reading would just be going over the FM syllabus.

For general interest...I can't really say anything springs to mind. Any kind of case studies book will probably be interesting, or just reading about such incidents on wikipedia. The Tacoma Bridge is the "traditional" case study used, as it covers aspects of engineering design fail, environmental factors, and the social and economic consequences of it. There's also a video! (but spoiler warning: the dog does die )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    You don't really need to do wider reading for engineering. Most universities for engineering will barely look at your PS anyway

If you aren't doing FM, the best wider reading would just be going over the FM syllabus.

For general interest...I can't really say anything springs to mind. Any kind of case studies book will probably be interesting, or just reading about such incidents on wikipedia. The Tacoma Bridge is the "traditional" case study used, as it covers aspects of engineering design fail, environmental factors, and the social and economic consequences of it. There's also a video! (but spoiler warning: the dog does die )
    With your last paragraph, the book I gave is pretty much perfect for that. It's not that big of a book but it goes through history for a bit and talks about a load of civil engineering projects and the problems that they came across.

Also Natalia.C if you want to watch something I would recommend a TV show called 'Impossible Engineering', you should be able to record it on demand (depending on your TV provider). It showed a load of major projects which faced a load of challenges and the design ideas they used to overcome them. If you do watch this I would recommend watching the episodes for the following: The Shard, Shanghai Tower. Three Gorges Dam and Millau Viaduct (this thing is shown in so many presentations in open and applicant days but as a side picture).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    for my PS i read ICE articles (i named just one: about grenfell tower cos of character limit) i also mentioned that i read why buildings fall down and elaborated on my thoughts on a case - tacoma bridge. some cases were interesting, the others just went over my head cos the delivery was either boring from the author or i just didnt get the technical terms yet. this was all done in the summer. and now i got all offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    for my PS i read ICE articles (i named just one: about grenfell tower cos of character limit) i also mentioned that i read why buildings fall down and elaborated on my thoughts on a case - tacoma bridge. some cases were interesting, the others just went over my head cos the delivery was either boring from the author or i just didnt get the technical terms yet. this was all done in the summer. and now i got all offers
    thank you =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.