The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Postgraduate Applicants 2018/2019

Hi all,

This is a new thread to discuss, ask questions and/or share your experience applying for 2018/2019 postgraduate study at Imperial College London. I will start first: Here's my profile.

Degree: BSc. in Petroleum Engineering, 2010, 3.525 CGPA

Work Experience: 2011 - Present (7 years) as Well Engineer with MNC - Involved in engineering projects and based in Malaysia (3 years), Vietnam (1 year) & Turkmenistan (3 years and counting).

Program to apply: MSc. in Business Analytics, full time. (As of 18 Oct 2017, the application is not yet open)

Career Plan: Nowadays data driven technology, management processes and decision-making process is becoming the key to success. So, expertise of Business Analytics will let me to step into leadership role. :smile:

Share yours and best of luck with your application! ^_^
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey i applied for the mres in biomedical research.

I am an eu student and have a degree in biology from a russel group uni with first class honours. I also did my dissertation in biomedical research and have done two internships in biomedical research abroad :smile:

I hope to hear from them soon and good luck with your application :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by sunny1111
Hey i applied for the mres in biomedical research.

I am an eu student and have a degree in biology from a russel group uni with first class honours. I also did my dissertation in biomedical research and have done two internships in biomedical research abroad :smile:

I hope to hear from them soon and good luck with your application :smile:

Hi there. Thanks for sharing! I did my application too and now my application is under consideration status. Hope to hear from them soon. Good luck my friend!
applying for mechanical engineering, still didnt get my recommendations done, so will be applying in december! i wonder why there arent many replies on here :/
Original post by shazz_alm
applying for mechanical engineering, still didnt get my recommendations done, so will be applying in december! i wonder why there arent many replies on here :/

I wonder the same! But good luck to you mate. :smile:
Applying for MSc Advanced Computing!
Reply 6
Original post by schj
Applying for MSc Advanced Computing!

Hi buddy, I was wondering what is your background? My undergraduate degree is in Economics and I applied to the MSc Computing Science. However, I am in my gap year right now and have been self studying computer science so was wondering if I can hopefully switch to advanced computing or machine learning.

Thanks!
Reply 7
Applied and received offer for Msc Computing Science!
Original post by ryanboi
Hi buddy, I was wondering what is your background? My undergraduate degree is in Economics and I applied to the MSc Computing Science. However, I am in my gap year right now and have been self studying computer science so was wondering if I can hopefully switch to advanced computing or machine learning.

Thanks!

I'm currently in my final-year of BSc Computer Science at a Russel Group uni if that helps! Predicted 1st. Let me know if you'd like to know any more detail?

May I ask how quickly you received an offer after applying? Did you have an interview?
Reply 9
Original post by schj
I'm currently in my final-year of BSc Computer Science at a Russel Group uni if that helps! Predicted 1st. Let me know if you'd like to know any more detail?

May I ask how quickly you received an offer after applying? Did you have an interview?

I am more curious about what sort of knowledge/programming skills you have so I can self study those as much as I can during this year and ask for a transfer haha I know its a bit of a vague question. Are you doing a final year project? If so, may I ask what you are doing it on?

I applied on the 23rd October. References fully submitted on the 30th October. Received offer on the 7th November. I didn't do a Skype interview (was expecting one tho).
Original post by ryanboi
I am more curious about what sort of knowledge/programming skills you have so I can self study those as much as I can during this year and ask for a transfer haha I know its a bit of a vague question. Are you doing a final year project? If so, may I ask what you are doing it on?

I applied on the 23rd October. References fully submitted on the 30th October. Received offer on the 7th November. I didn't do a Skype interview (was expecting one tho).

To put it in a few lines, here are the main skills that a degree in CS gives:
* Theoretical computer science -- this is the mathematics behind computation. Things like complexity theory (how 'hard' are problems), models of computation (how can we mathematically formalise what it means to 'compute' something).
* Algorithms and data structures -- the study of algorithms for the solving of problems. Algorithms of course require some form of data, and how we structure this data is very important for how 'efficient' an algorithm is.
* Programming -- very important for applied computer science. Learn C, Python, Java and Haskell for a good grounding. Each of these languages is a different type (procedural, interpreted, object-oriented and functional respectively). Feel free to replace each of these languages with a language from the same type.
* Discrete Mathematics - many problems in computer science are discrete in nature (e.g. graphs, sets, etc.).
* Logic - very important in complexity theory, discrete math, theoretical computer science, artificial intelligence, etc etc etc!

Final-year Project: yes, my final-year project is on the satisfiability problem for modal logic and extensions such as PDL, CTL, modal mu-calculus, and products of modal logics. (Let me know if you want to know more about this!)

Let me know if you want more detail!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey there, I applied for MRes Controlled Quantum Dynamics and MSc Physics with Nanophotonics as my second choice three weeks ago, my second referee upload his reference yesterday though :wink:
Original post by schj
To put it in a few lines, here are the main skills that a degree in CS gives:
* Theoretical computer science -- this is the mathematics behind computation. Things like complexity theory (how 'hard' are problems), models of computation (how can we mathematically formalise what it means to 'compute' something).
* Algorithms and data structures -- the study of algorithms for the solving of problems. Algorithms of course require some form of data, and how we structure this data is very important for how 'efficient' an algorithm is.
* Programming -- very important for applied computer science. Learn C, Python, Java and Haskell for a good grounding. Each of these languages is a different type (procedural, interpreted, object-oriented and functional respectively). Feel free to replace each of these languages with a language from the same type.
* Discrete Mathematics - many problems in computer science are discrete in nature (e.g. graphs, sets, etc.).
* Logic - very important in complexity theory, discrete math, theoretical computer science, artificial intelligence, etc etc etc!

Final-year Project: yes, my final-year project is on the satisfiability problem for modal logic and extensions such as PDL, CTL, modal mu-calculus, and products of modal logics. (Let me know if you want to know more about this!)

Let me know if you want more detail!

Hey buddy, thanks for the information. Thought I would move the conversation to PM to avoid me spamming this thread with my questions !
Reply 13
Hi all - I have applied for the MSc Taxonomy, Biodiversity and Evolution - application submitted on October 23rd, references completed on November 1st - currently still waiting for a response! Best of luck with all of your applications, fingers crossed!
Im currently in my final year of biochemistry expecting a high 2:1/1st class honours. I have applied for MRes in drug discovery and development. Still awaiting a response
Reply 15
applying for petroleum engineering masters. my references completed on 1st of Nov. still waiting for their reply, Wish me luck :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by biotax
Hi all - I have applied for the MSc Taxonomy, Biodiversity and Evolution - application submitted on October 23rd, references completed on November 1st - currently still waiting for a response! Best of luck with all of your applications, fingers crossed!

did you hear anything from them yet?
Reply 17
Original post by Brentton95
Im currently in my final year of biochemistry expecting a high 2:1/1st class honours. I have applied for MRes in drug discovery and development. Still awaiting a response

Hey did you get a response in the end? I'm applying for the same and got invited to interview
Reply 18
I've applied for MSc Finance and done the video interview. Anyone got an offer yet / heard back post video interview?
Reply 19
Original post by 7oka
did you hear anything from them yet?

No, I haven't yet! Have you applied?

Quick Reply

Latest