Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm an American philosophy and economics double major interested in applying to the BPhil. In philosophy, I've done well and scored the equivalent of First Class honors; however, in economics, I've done poorly.

I have two questions:

1. My cumulative GPA is less than the 3.5 cutoff listed on the BPhil website; however, my philosophy GPA is above 3.7 (first honors). Should I still apply?

2. In general, at a UK university, do graduate programs only look at the courses relevant to the program or at all degrees?

Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sk2014)
    Hi all,

I'm an American philosophy and economics double major interested in applying to the BPhil. In philosophy, I've done well and scored the equivalent of First Class honors; however, in economics, I've done poorly.

I have two questions:

1. My cumulative GPA is less than the 3.5 cutoff listed on the BPhil website; however, my philosophy GPA is above 3.7 (first honors). Should I still apply?

2. In general, at a UK university, do graduate programs only look at the courses relevant to the program or at all degrees?

Thank you!
    A BPhil is...? Bachelors in philosophy? To get a visa you will need to explain why you want to do a second bachelors degree for a start. Unis will have specific requirements based on where your qualifications are from so you have to meet them and if you don't you either have to have a good academic reason (extenuating circumstances) or substantial work experience. Otherwise your chances of getting an offer are slim to none unfortunately.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sk2014)
    Hi all,

I have two questions:

Thank you!
    I imagine they will be primarily concerned with your Philosophy work, unless you're applying to one of the "tracks", in which case other relevant coursework will probably be taken into account (namely, classical languages or physics/maths, as applicable). It is fairly competitive however, getting just under 10 applications per space available (plus they have internal students applying to transfer from the 1 year masters courses in Philosophy of Physics/Ancient Philosophy/Philosophical Theology in that mix too). So, if applying doesn't represent a significant financial burden then go for it, but realise you may be something of a longshot.

(Original post by alleycat393)
    A BPhil is...? Bachelors in philosophy? To get a visa you will need to explain why you want to do a second bachelors degree for a start. Unis will have specific requirements based on where your qualifications are from so you have to meet them and if you don't you either have to have a good academic reason (extenuating circumstances) or substantial work experience. Otherwise your chances of getting an offer are slim to none unfortunately.
    The BPhil is a 2 year masters programme at Oxford, similar to the BCL. It is a postgraduate degree, the unusual naming is just one of those "Oxbridge" things.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.