Turn on thread page Beta

Taking English International A-Levels as Private Candidate (Edexcel) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My name is Eden-Joy, and I'm from Malaysia. I'm planning to pursue my law degree (LLB) at the University of Hertfordshire, UK in 2018. I will need to take my A-Levels before I can do that, to be eligible to take the Malaysian Bar Exam. I'm planning to take English Language and Law for my A-Levels as a private candidate via the British Council.

A bit of a backstory: I have a Diploma in Law from a local college here, and a dear lecturer is helping me with notes and such, so law isn't as daunting to me as compared to English -- not so much for the language itself, but rather the lack of resources I possess in relation to this particular subject for A-Levels.

Could anyone help me out with recommendations for textbooks, etc. for English IAL (Edexcel) (YEN01)? I would be extremely grateful. Navigating the murky waters of A-Levels as a private candidate is surprisingly difficult.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Eden-Joy, I wondered if you’d had any luck with this?

I’m a Brit currently in Malaysia and I’m just about to start studying my a Levels from here as a private candidate.

I’m really struggling to find any information on how to go about this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca787)

I’m a Brit currently in Malaysia and I’m just about to start studying my a Levels from here as a private candidate.

Hello, So very sorry for the late response. I haven't had time to check on this thread, what with last-minute studying for the IAL. Actually, I am still in the middle of it: I have my third paper the day after tomorrow. I hope you've made some progress in your search since you responded to this thread.

As for myself, I ultimately decided to undertake Law and Business Studies for IAL, and I dropped the idea of Eng. Lit. altogether due to a variety of reasons, one of which is the fact that there are so few qualified Lit. tutors in Malaysia who are up to the task (in the spirit of full disclosure, I have communicated with one particular tutor who seemed capable, but she advised me against taking Lit. so late in the year when I already have so much to read with Law -- that's another reason). After spending some time feeling lost and sending quite a few confused emails, I am now officially an IAL student.

Depending on what subjects you are considering, I will be leaving some things on here that hopefully will be of some help to you. My apologies if you already know any of the following.

1. The British Council is only an exam centre, so they will not hold much information regarding the exam materials, etc. If you are taking the Edexcel exams like I am, you will find more info on the Pearson Edexcel website itself: https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...ed-levels.html
    2. The contact details for the British Council Malaysia are: https://www.britishcouncil.my/about/contact. They may be able to help you with the more bureaucratic issues you may have, such as registration, exam venues, fees, etc. I find that they are relatively responsive via phone.
    3. More info on how to study for your A-Levels under the British Council: https://www.britishcouncil.my/exam/school

If you still require further assistance, please feel free to message me personally on here. It would help if you could state which subjects you are (considering) studying for. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as I can, with what little knowledge I may be able to share with you.

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    hello rebecca. I am also studying A-levels as a private candidate in malaysia. When will u take your exam? Hopefully we can help each other.
    (Original post by Rebecca787)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.