Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sti’s but no sexual activity ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My partner wants me to get checked for STIs for peace of mind however I’ve never slept with anybody else and have always been protected. I know you can get STIs from other things not just sex because how low are the chances? It seems stupid to get checked if I know I’m fine?

ReputationRep:
    Better safe than sorry

ReputationRep:
    True but you can never be to sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flowerface)
    My partner wants me to get checked for STIs for peace of mind however I’ve never slept with anybody else and have always been protected. I know you can get STIs from other things not just sex because how low are the chances? It seems stupid to get checked if I know I’m fine?
    Ask him to get checked as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yup. STIs aren't only sexually transmitted, it's just how they are most often transmitted. It is theoretically possible (although unlikely) that you could have an STI despite being a virgin or having no sexual experience.

There's no harm in being tested and it will give your partner peace of mind. It's pretty pointless sure, but there's no harm in it and your partner wants it and it would make them feel more comfortable.
    You could have a talk with them and see if that's enough to put them at ease, but there's not any issue with doing it if that's what it takes to make them feel more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    It's rare but it happens. For example, if someone who is HIV+ cuts themselves and so does a HIV- person and the blood mingles, then the HIV- person could become + even though there was no sexual activity. Better to do it if this person is special to you to avoid any unnecessary arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly there isn't any issue with you getting tested. Sure you haven't had sex but like everyone else before has said it is better to be safe than sorry etc. I do agree that it seems stupid but having a test and getting results you already know and both you and your partner being happy is better than you not getting tested and both of you being annoyed at the other. Also there isn't really any reason not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Yup. STIs aren't only sexually transmitted, it's just how they are most often transmitted. It is theoretically possible (although unlikely) that you could have an STI despite being a virgin or having no sexual experience.

There's no harm in being tested and it will give your partner peace of mind. It's pretty pointless sure, but there's no harm in it and your partner wants it and it would make them feel more comfortable.
    You could have a talk with them and see if that's enough to put them at ease, but there's not any issue with doing it if that's what it takes to make them feel more comfortable.
    Via a cut? Or failed surgery?

ReputationRep:
    ...What is life?

Actually I don't even believe that lol. That person would have to have touch an unhygienic person who is infected, or that person didn't touch anyone but is just filthy as he'll him/herself, like doesn't wipe after peeinh or wash after masturbating or something :lolwut:

Or it could be a scare tactic for scammer doctors and quacks to get more money when people rush to get shots for something they can't even truly catch 😑😑
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Via a cut? Or failed surgery?
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    ...What is life?

Actually I don't even believe that lol. That person would have to have touch an unhygienic person who is infected, or that person didn't touch anyone but is just filthy as he'll him/herself, like doesn't wipe after peeinh or wash after masturbating or something :lolwut:

Or it could be a scare tactic for scammer doctors and quacks to get more money when people rush to get shots for something they can't even truly catch 😑😑
    I'm no expert on the matter, but from looking into it you seem to be able to catch at least certain STI/Ds from things like kissing, contaminated food, or even sharing towels or razors. Some people in the past have also contracted aids from contaminated blood (which is why there's that big thing about active gays giving blood) and there's at least a theoretical risk of contracting aids and other diseases from mouth to mouth CPR (I'm not sure if there have been any confirmed cases).

If you think about it, most STIs are transferred just by a contaminated area of skin touching somebody else's skin. If that contaminated skin is on somebody's mouth and you kiss them or share a glass with them you're at risk. If that person's contaminated skin comes in contact with your food... bam you're at risk.
    STIs are just infections that are more common in sexual areas or most commonly transferred via sexual activity. They still act like any other infection in terms of transfer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you're probably clear, but there's a number of conditions that don't always show symptoms so it's definitely worth getting yourself checked. You don't know you're fine, instead you know you're probably fine. If it would make her feel more comfortable, I don't see why it's such a problem. If you don't have something, great, now you know. If you do, you can get it treated and looked after before passing it on or doing damage to your body

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert on the matter, but from looking into it you seem to be able to catch at least certain STI/Ds from things like kissing, contaminated food, or even sharing towels or razors. Some people in the past have also contracted aids from contaminated blood (which is why there's that big thing about active gays giving blood) and there's at least a theoretical risk of contracting aids and other diseases from mouth to mouth CPR (I'm not sure if there have been any confirmed cases).

If you think about it, most STIs are transferred just by a contaminated area of skin touching somebody else's skin. If that contaminated skin is on somebody's mouth and you kiss them or share a glass with them you're at risk. If that person's contaminated skin comes in contact with your food... bam you're at risk.
    STIs are just infections that are more common in sexual areas or most commonly transferred via sexual activity. They still act like any other infection in terms of transfer.
    I'm paranoid now
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    I'm paranoid now
    Don't be. It's still far more likely to catch it from sexual contact unless you have a habit of kissing people with mouth sores or sharing needles. It's possible, not likely.

ReputationRep:
    You guys do know it can be hard to contract an STI from someone infected even if the sex is unprotected...It's really not hat deep.

ReputationRep:
    He basically doesn't believe that you were a virgin when you met him
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I agree with YaliaV.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.