Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey denizens and citizens of TSR,

I type this, having just woken up nearly 2/3 of the way through a 9 am lecture I am supposed to be attending. I had a rough night last night (did not go out, sleep troubles due to worrying about something) and did not get to sleep until about 3 am. My alarm went off at 7 am, but I got up, went to the bathroom, fell back down onto my bed and almost instantly fell back asleep.

I am kicking myself, because I make a point of attending every lecture I can - up to today, at least, I was successful at doing so. I'm lucky to be at university, and like so many of you worked my behind off to get here. I had set a couple back-up alarms but went my initial one went off I disabled them.

I have two questions, TSRians.

1) Considering why I missed the lecture, and the fact I did not intend to miss it (in fact, I'm fuming at myself that I did), what should I do to get caught up?

2) How can I avoid this happening again in the future?

Thanks for taking the time out your busy lives to read this, and have a great day.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've missed several lectures so far, honestly I haven't missed much.

ReputationRep:
    Does your university have a virtual learning environment where lecturers post powerpoints or notes? Mine does, and one day I was ill so couldn't attend a full 9-5 day of lectures and got all the info I needed there.

You could also ask other people in the lecture for any of their notes to help you.

Or you could email the lecturers and lie saying you had a migraine / a bug or something which meant you couldn't attend, and ask if they could send you the information.

My uni also has "office hours" where each week the lecturers sit in a room for 3 hours once a week waiting for us to come and ask them questions. If this is the same, just pop in and see them and ask them.

In terms of the future, what are you worried about? Is it a temporary worry or is it a long-term concern? If long-term, then perhaps talking to a student support officer or maybe even your doctor to help you with getting to sleep earlier.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a one off it won't matter, read the notes online or chat to a coursemate to catch up.

In future just don't disable your back up alarms - that's kinda the whole point of them. And don't let yourself sit down on the bed or anything once you're up.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go back to bed...?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kierensaddlr)
    Hey denizens and citizens of TSR,

I type this, having just woken up nearly 2/3 of the way through a 9 am lecture I am supposed to be attending. I had a rough night last night (did not go out, sleep troubles due to worrying about something) and did not get to sleep until about 3 am. My alarm went off at 7 am, but I got up, went to the bathroom, fell back down onto my bed and almost instantly fell back asleep.

I am kicking myself, because I make a point of attending every lecture I can - up to today, at least, I was successful at doing so. I'm lucky to be at university, and like so many of you worked my behind off to get here. I had set a couple back-up alarms but went my initial one went off I disabled them.

I have two questions, TSRians.

1) Considering why I missed the lecture, and the fact I did not intend to miss it (in fact, I'm fuming at myself that I did), what should I do to get caught up?

2) How can I avoid this happening again in the future?

Thanks for taking the time out your busy lives to read this, and have a great day.
    I would echo the advice DrawTheLine gave!

For specifically how to wake up better in the mornings, I used the following techniques in second year when I found getting up extremely difficult:

A specific alarm app, that requires more just a slide of the finger across the screen to dismiss it. There's various kinds, but I found puzzle-type ones the most effective--I had to solve various simple multiplication table facts in order to dismiss/snooze the alarm. Really had me feeling alert afterwards--if only because the alarm was so incessantly annoying

Water. Sounds simple, but getting in a glass of water right away perks ya right up right away! If you're busy the night before, make sure to have this ready by your bedside before you leave to make it easier on yourself.

Natural sunlight. If you can, leave your curtains open half- or all the way open, so you can wake up to a room already somewhat bright and therefore be much less able (let alone less tempted) to go back to sleep. If you don't fancy this, or can't fall asleep without all light blocked out, see if you can turn on your room light ASAP upon waking to dissuade yourself from falling asleep.

Also try improving the quality of your sleep! Go to bed hydrated, turn off or ignore all electronic devices up to an hour before you plan on sleeping, try something like reading or meditation or yoga before sleep, etc.

Good luck! And don't fret too much about your missed lecture--once or twice isn't going to be a disaster!

ReputationRep:
    Choose your favorite song as your alarm - you'll want to wake up enough to be able to listen to it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    This is how it works for me. On my 9am Monday morning lecture I set 3 alarms,first one at 7:30 next 7:45 then 8:00. I motivate myself thinking how important the lecture will be and what I can gain from it. If you have this mentality it should work,well does for me anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.