The Student Room Group

How is a Cambridge applicant compared to the rest of their cohort?

What specifically is used to determine who is more competitive than other candidates? How do Cambridge justify that one applicant is a stronger applicant than another, if they don't have the same measures of strengths. What if one applicant doesn't have AS where as another one does (with strong raw marks), how do they decide who is stronger then? Are applicants simply compared by their GCSEs?

The reason I'm asking is because Cambridge states you are compared with the the rest of the cohort, but what does this mean exactly...

Scroll to see replies

Admissions test/Interview come into play big time.
Reply 2
Original post by Appleorpear
Admissions test/Interview come into play big time.

Yeah aside from that though?
The selection process is holistic, they consider everything together to build up a picture of the type of applicant you are. I would still say very roughly this is the order of importance: Grades (Mainly AS and A2 predicted, GCSE less so), Interview, Contextual factors, Admissions test, Written work, Personal statement/References.
Btw Cambridge doesn't use raw marks when comparing to other candidates, they just use it to see if it's likely you'll achieve your predicted grades.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kenneye_j
Yeah aside from that though?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/what-are-we-looking-for

It's really no secret. For academic record, they just removed the AS grades from their for the most part (IK people who put their AS marks in their reference, because beforehand Cambridge used to ask people for AS UMS, but a lot of places don't even do AS exams anymore).

"If you're taking any modular courses, you're asked to report (in the Supplementary Application Questionnaire, SAQ) the details of your uniform mark scheme (UMS) performance for any modular AS and A Level units taken to date, whether certificated or not (we normally expect good A grades in relevant subjects, if the AS is taken at the end of Year 12). Colleges won't make unconditional offers on the basis of AS Level grades alone. You'll only have UMS marks for modular AS/A Level subjects. If you're taking linear qualifications, your teachers will provide us with information about your performance through their UCAS reference."
Reply 5
The whiter, richer and posher, the better.
they seek those burning with hunger for the truth
Reply 7
Original post by Capitata
Surely it's the opposite, considering how politically correct modern universities are? Positive discrimination...

Have you been to Cambridge?
Reply 8
Original post by Maker
Have you been to Cambridge?

I can guarantee you haven't.
Original post by the bear

The truth for what?

Side note: Why tf would TSR put this on today on TSR...
Reply 10
Positive discrimination in name only. It doesn't exist, certainly not at Cambridge.
Reply 11
Original post by Eldronyx
I can guarantee you haven't.

What have you got to hide?
Reply 12
Original post by the bear

What makes you think there is more truth in Cambridge than anywhere else?
Reply 13
Original post by Fox12
Positive discrimination in name only. It doesn't exist, certainly not at Cambridge.

Cambridge is full of white, rich, posh people.
Original post by Maker

#Ibz Mo you tuber at Cambridge
tbh you will probably be compared on GCSEs as they are likely to become more important now that there is no modular AS (routinely). Cambridge's admission process will likely move more towards that of Oxfords, where they place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs and entry tests.

But to answer your question, if you are part of a cohort where lots of people got good GCSEs, and you only got mediocre GCSEs, you're probably in trouble.
Original post by Maker
What makes you think there is more truth in Cambridge than anywhere else?

ermm your statement is not truthful... i did not say that
Original post by Maker

as are most top unis in the UK
Original post by jakey_99
tbh you will probably be compared on GCSEs as they are likely to become more important now that there is no modular AS (routinely). Cambridge's admission process will likely move more towards that of Oxfords, where they place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs and entry tests.

But to answer your question, if you are part of a cohort where lots of people got good GCSEs, and you only got mediocre GCSEs, you're probably in trouble.

I think it was emphasised several times by admissions tutors now that GCSEs are NOT becoming more important now.
Original post by JackNott
I think it was emphasised several times by admissions tutors now that GCSEs are NOT becoming more important now.

Yeah they say that but realistically what is going to happen? Are they just going to give out offers to people with 10/10 at interview and 9.0 on the admission assessment?

Quick Reply