The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

These people are so sad.
It's your life. If you feel happier after converting, then that's amazing. You shouldn't feel ashamed at all.
Original post by bloodygoth
"O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

tbh Allah does forgive all, also it is about how you interpret the Quran.

No he doesn’t. The Quran is very clear that non-Muslims will be sent to hell forever.
Reply 42
Original post by IMissMyDad
Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?

Maybe you shouldn't convert if you're ashamed.
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
These people are so sad.
It's your life. If you feel happier after converting, then that's amazing. You shouldn't feel ashamed at all.

ikr

they're trying to talk her out of it, too bad shes already reverted

congrats OP you made the right choice, good on you :smile:
Original post by angelike1
I used to think the same but then a Muslim girl I know (wears the hijab) got verbally abused on a bus - she was so scared she had to get off at the next top.

While the prevelence of "Islamaphobia" is exaggerated the level of anti Muslim hate crime does seem to be rising.

Even in London I wouldn't advise a hijabi to walk alone on the streets of Barking/Dagenham at 2am.

Walking alone at 2am is dangerous no matter what you're wearing on your head or whether you are walking in Dagenham or Soho.
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
I feel so sorry for you, your ego, and your arrogance.

There is a whole chapter in the Quran dedicated to women, that's how elevated the rank of females is in Islam, and there is not a chapter on men. Women choose to wear hijabs and burqas on there own, they are not forced by anyone. Unlike this idiotic western society that forces women to go naked to please men, forces women to wear high heels, forces women to look a certain way, and barely any respect is given to women even if they do these things.

Those who blow themselves up are not Muslim in any way, nor have they achieved martyrdom.

Are we talking about the same religion that says it is okay for a man to beat his wife if she disobeys him?

Also, western society does not force women to go naked or wear high heels. I have the choice to wear high heels. But in Saudi Arabia I wouldn't have a choice in wearing the burka.
Original post by naso
Yes, you're in favor of a religion that makes women wear burkas and makes it followers blow up for the sake of their God.

Well the stuff about blowing up is incorrect it is not part of the religion....
Otherwise there will be millions of bombers everywhere.
Its just this small group of dheads that blow up.
Killing is forbidden in islam.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why do u place so much value on what others think? As a Muslim myself, Islam teaches us to please Allah and not people. People are gna judge no matter what. Just be urself and do whatever makes u happy.
Original post by constantine2016
Walking alone at 2am is dangerous no matter what you're wearing on your head or whether you are walking in Dagenham or Soho.

It's worse if you're wearing a scarf.
I'd like to send you an audio book to listen to, about both faiths - to help you really make up your mind in an educated way. If you msg me your email address, I'll send it to you via Audible. :smile: Juliette
JulietteIvanova;74191878]I'd like to send you an audio book to listen to, about both faiths - to help you really make up your mind in an educated way. If you msg me your email address, I'll send it to you via Audible. :smile: Juliette
You've made all the atheists triggered hahah

Welcome to Islam sis 🎉

Yes, tell everyone because your religion is part of your indentity. It's part of who you are and you can't hide that. AND there's nothing to be ashamed of when you have Allah.
Original post by constantine2016
Are we talking about the same religion that says it is okay for a man to beat his wife if she disobeys him?

Also, western society does not force women to go naked or wear high heels. I have the choice to wear high heels. But in Saudi Arabia I wouldn't have a choice in wearing the burka.

Yes that is the same religion we are talking about. I'm guessing your cherry picking with a blind fold on, while riding a donkey backwards by that statement. Islam has many rules and regulations to everything.

The verse in the Quran that you have cherry picked uses the translated word beat, scholars of Islam emphasize that this is symbolic and men are not allowed to leave a mark or an injury. This means that instead of an Indiana Jones type of beating that you have pictured in your head, men are advised to use a handful of grass, yes handful, to beat the wife.

And this is only used as a last resort, beating is merely symbolic, and can only be done if the wife is treating the integrity of a peaceful family unit.

Secondly, western society does force women to do the things stated in my previous post. However, it is done indirectly, but still effective. Such as through adverts on the telly, or songs, or billboards, showing pictures of how western society thinks women should look and dress, and act. And in most of these examples the women shown is dressed promiscuously.

Spoiler

All the best.

Peace.
(edited 6 years ago)
Loads of people in this thread hating, as expected.

Listen, don't be ashamed of converting to Islam. Honestly, I am fairly agnostic but choose to follow a religion even though I am indifferent towards the existence of a God and I know friends who do the same because religion isn't this immutable thing which takes over your life but it is a core set of values which encourages you to develop a positive lifestyle. Islam is no different, even the five pillars themselves encourage being charitable and seeking to reflect on your sins. :smile:
Yes that is the same religion we are talking about. I'm guessing your cherry picking with a blind fold on, while riding a donkey backwards by that statement. Islam has many rules and regulations to everything.

The verse in the Quran that you have cherry picked uses the translated word beat, scholars of Islam emphasize that this is symbolic and men are not allowed to leave a mark or an injury. This means that instead of an Indiana Jones type of beating that you have pictured in your head, men are advised to use a handful of grass, yes handful, to beat the wife.

And this is only used as a last resort, beating is merely symbolic, and can only be done if the wife is treating the integrity of a peaceful family unit.

Secondly, western society does force women to do the things stated in my previous post. However, it is done indirectly, but still effective. Such as through adverts on the telly, or songs, or billboards, showing pictures of how western society thinks women should look and dress, and act. And in most of these examples the women shown is dressed promiscuously.

Spoiler

All the best.

Peace.

So please explain how you beat someone symbolically? The only way you could beat someone symbolically is if you emotionally and psychologically abused them, which is just as bad as physical abuse.

It doesn't matter if the man is not allowed to leave a mark. Physical violence no matter how minor is inexcusable in any relationship.
Choosing a religion is nothing to be ashamed about. The shame should come from your reason i.e. if you deep down feel the reason was a negative one and not a positive one. If it was positive then in my mind you would not feel shame but rather joy.

I do not feel ashamed to say I am an atheist.
Original post by scienceq
they're trying to talk her out of it, too bad shes already reverted
well, there is always the possibility of deverting, inverting, subverting etc

and as Chairman Mao Zedong once said, " let one hundred flowers bloom"
https://www.britannica.com/event/Hundred-Flowers-Campaign

best
men are advised to use a handful of grass, yes handful, to beat the wife
I knew about the Islamic wife-beating toothbrush (miswak), then I heard about a knotted handkerchief, but now it's become grass ? how is a honest, pious, wife-beater expected to keep abreast of all these changes ? are these not to be considered as dangerous bidah (innovation) ?
best
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mariachi
I knew about the Islamic wife-beating toothbrush (miswak), then I heard about a knotted handkerchief, but now it's become grass ? how is a honest, pious, wife-beater expected to keep abreast of all these changes ? are these not to be considered as dangerous bidah (innovation) ?
best

It isn't limited to one object, as long as it is small, light, not painful, and doesn't leave a mark. None of these things are bidah.
men are advised to use a handful of grass, yes handful, to beat the wife.

Bamboo is grass that scholars must approve of then, and the traditional headmaster's cane was made of it. Very swishy, painful and a single stalk is easily held in one hand.

Latest

Trending

Trending