Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which university from those is better at law? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from Manchester, Warwick, Exeter and Surrey
    Still waiting for Oxford's decision
    I applied for Law (M100, M103)
    Which from those universities is better at law and why?
    Also I consider other factors such as: location and graduate prospects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsf722)
    Warwick and Exeter have the better reputation for law I would say, but I don't know any details
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would rank your choices as follow:

Oxford
    Warwick
    Manchester
    Exeter
    Surrey

ReputationRep:
    When did you send off your application and when did you recieve the offers from these universities?
    • Very Important Poster

I would agree with Wireds ranking.
    I wouldnt get too hung up about it though.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Warwick
    Exeter
    Manchester
    Surrey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonoMikey)
    Whemn did you send off your application and when did you recieve the offers from these universities?
    I sent it in the beginning of October
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)

Oxford
    Warwick
    Manchester
    Exeter
    Surrey
    Agree with this, although the difference between the middle three is fairly neglible.

Surrey benefits from having a pretty well established optional industrial placement year though, while the others all have their respective "year abroad" options. The placement year, if you go for it and secure one can really boost your CV more than the institution name on your degree certificate though.

ReputationRep:
    When did you get an offer from Warwick and when did you submit your ucas application?
    Did you apply for m100 to warwick?

ReputationRep:
    You're the first person I've seen with a Warwick Law offer this year congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlesdarwin99)
    I got a conditional offer(AAA) for law from Warwick today. Applied on 12th October.
    What were your predicted grades/achieved grades and ur GCSEs?

ReputationRep:

Oxford
    Warwick
    Manchester
    Exeter
    Surrey
    Having studied law at none of them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Having studied law at none of them.
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    Ok
    Quite surprised you didn't put Manchester ahead of Oxford, though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Quite surprised you didn't put Manchester ahead of Oxford, though.
    Cos i am not a mug. Manchester is good but not Oxford good. I mean Oxford produces Prime Ministers like it is nobody's business.

ReputationRep:
    Cos i am not a mug. Manchester is good but not Oxford good. I mean Oxford produces Prime Ministers like it is nobody's business.
    Ok
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ok
    Haha. Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlesdarwin99)
    Predicted grades A*A*A* in English Lit, History,Latin
    GCSE 11A*
    Oh nice, not surprised you got an offer so quick haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Law is one of Exeter's better, if not best, subject(s), but to my knowledge it's still considered "semi-target" by e.g. MC firms and similar, and the progression to such firms is lower than comparable other RG universities. Of course there can be many reasons for this (it's inconvenient location relative to London for assessment periods and networking, and fewer firms attending the universities on campus careers events possibly due to the location or otherwise) but the fact remains.

Warwick (and Oxford, although I'm not sure where this cropped up in the thread) are of course heavily targeted by such firms, and probably the primary goal. I'm not so sure about Manchester and Surrey - my impression is that Manchester overall has greater prestige attached to it, albeit not specifically for Law, although Surrey is fairly conveniently located relative to London.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Law is one of Exeter's better, if not best, subject(s), but to my knowledge it's still considered "semi-target" by e.g. MC firms and similar, and the progression to such firms is lower than comparable other RG universities. Of course there can be many reasons for this (it's inconvenient location relative to London for assessment periods and networking, and fewer firms attending the universities on campus careers events possibly due to the location or otherwise) but the fact remains.

Warwick (and Oxford, although I'm not sure where this cropped up in the thread) are of course heavily targeted by such firms, and probably the primary goal. I'm not so sure about Manchester and Surrey - my impression is that Manchester overall has greater prestige attached to it, albeit not specifically for Law, although Surrey is fairly conveniently located relative to London.
    Exeter is definitely a target for all MC firms. You only have to look at the sponsorship list on the Bracton Law Society website and attendees of the law fair.

Manchester and Warwick are about the same though. Manchester benefits from being a super large university (biggest in the UK) so makes sense to go there just from a numbers game (plus it attracts quite a lot of home counties students who return home).

Surrey is an odd one - it isn't really a target university, but could be really given its geographical closeness to London, in the same way MC firms target City. But it is probably the ABB entry point that puts firms off, and that and as a it is very white and middle class (while City is the complete opposite). Its probably the least diverse of the home counties universities anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.