Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My son has started a 2 year Diploma at BIMM and will then continue his education with a 3 year degree also at BIMM.
    Can he get a maintenance loan each year, i.e. 5 years in total?
    Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Taj1)
    Hi,
    My son has started a 2 year Diploma at BIMM and will then continue his education with a 3 year degree also at BIMM.
    Can he get a maintenance loan each year, i.e. 5 years in total?
    Thanks
    hI Taj1

Generally, higher education (Level 4 & above) courses are eligible for financial support.

In order to advise on future support can I ask, did your son receive support through Student Finance for the diploma and what is the actual qualification he has gained, is it an HND ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Rona,Thanks. No the Diploma is funded due to his age, (17). As hes living away from home, he has applied for and received a maintenance loan. I was worried therefore that he would not be able to continue to get this support for when he starts his degree. In total he will be studying for 5 years, 2 years Dipl and then the BAThanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taj1)
    Rona,Thanks. No the Diploma is funded due to his age, (17). As hes living away from home, he has applied for and received a maintenance loan. I was worried therefore that he would not be able to continue to get this support for when he starts his degree. In total he will be studying for 5 years, 2 years Dipl and then the BAThanks
    Hi Taj1,

As we have no access to accounts, can you advise the level of qualification that your son is currently undertaking, there are different types of diplomas, is it an HND ?

You say that your son is currently receiving support, is he a full time student and is that a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan through Student Finance England for his current diploma ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,His qualification will be Level 3 RSL Extended Diploma for Music Practitioners. He is getting finance from SFR for tuition as the course is fully funded due to his age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taj1)
    Hi Rona,His qualification will be Level 3 RSL Extended Diploma for Music Practitioners. He is getting finance from SFR for tuition as the course is fully funded due to his age
    Hi Taj1

You will be pleased to know that only higher education courses (Level 4 & above) will be taken into account when calculating the entitlement the undergraduate funding.

He will be entitled to full support for the length of the undergraduate course.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.