Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you do in an Oxford interview? Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    For personal curiosity, is it hard to get into Classics (the IA one)? Are there (many) compulsory (Greek) linguistics exams?
    Well, depends what you mean by "hard". Both Classics I and II have roughly similar offer rates (40%-ish) compared with the university average of about 25%.

I don't know the course specifics. That earlier link will get you to the department pages.
    NB. The application deadline was last Sunday...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Damn.

ReputationRep:
    Well, depends what you mean by "hard". Both Classics I and II have roughly similar offer rates (40%-ish) compared with the university average of about 25%.

I don't know the course specifics. That earlier link will get you to the department pages.

40% sounds good. Yes, thank you, I read about the requirements and process. It appears composite and demanding, but I think I would have had a decent chance.

I'm two years late... Will take it into consideration as a second bachelor but, currently, it doesn't seem viable.

ReputationRep:
    OMG how did I not know about this ruler thing already- it's so cool!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Damn.
    Aw, nevermind.

There's always next year... it will give you time to bone-up on the textual anaylsis of poetry, in the original Greek.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Aw, nevermind.

There's always next year... it will give you time to bone-up on the textual anaylsis of poetry, in the original Greek.
    What A Levels do I need? Will maths, further maths and physics be okay? I can already write in Greek so that's an advantage

\alpha \beta \beta \alpha

Although I'm limited to Swedish pop bands.

ReputationRep:
    That PPE one is actually brill I love it
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    What A Levels do I need? Will maths, further maths and physics be okay? I can already write in Greek so that's an advantage

\alpha \beta \beta \alpha

Although I'm limited to Swedish pop bands.
    Sounds perfect. I'm sure that will cover the \alpha  2  \omega of it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oxford have released another batch of interview questions. How well would you do?

History: Is violence always political? Does 'political' mean something different in different contexts?
    Spoiler:
    Show

This pair of questions allows the interviewer to deal with historical material from any period the candidate is studying or knows about from more general reading. It could also be answered extremely well from contemporary or current affairs knowledge. The aim of the question is to get the candidate to challenge some received notions about what constitutes politics, and to think about how political history might be studied away from the usual kings, parliaments etc. A good candidate would, with assistance, begin to construct categories of when violence looks more and less political. A very good candidate would, with assistance, begin to construct a useful definition of 'political', but this is challenging. The main aim would not be to solve these problems, but to use them to find some new interest in a subject that the candidate already knows something about
    This would be my attempt at the history question.:spoiler: [I did not read the spoiled notes before writing. Further comments made outside of my spoiler are following the aide of a dictionary and the notes in the spoiler.]

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd say that definitions of political do vary by context. Mainly because I believe that politics itself is fundamentally different depending on its context. A family can have politics, as can the workplace, as can a country, and the world. The politics of these separate realms are all very different I'd say. The individual interpretation of the meaning of "political" is also significant in me answering this question. In my view "the political" is often above motive. I see politics as occurring where given actions have different motives from different people, particularly competing ones. But that's just me.

As for violence, I'm glad I outlined varying types of politics because there are varying types of violence which can be directly associated by context. Domestic violence may often be related to what might be called the "politics" of the home or domestic environment. To study which might consist of looking at things like power constructs in the home for example. Or I may be wrong. Similarly with violence on a national or global scale, these crimes will often have political connotations in my view; even motives, though I'd have to analyse it further. Terrorist attacks being one of the most common perhaps in this decade for crimes of this nature. Ideological motive includes elements of "the political" here I feel. Certainly the reaction is politically driven. Using Bush's response to 9/11 for instance demonstrates the use of violence into the political sphere. It may even be suggested that this sort of thing makes the violence more political. To take mass shootings in America for instance, while we're in that country, it's the later debate surrounding gun legislation which increases the political element to the violence, whereas the original motive might have not as political. Though I'd certainly argue that some sense of what we might call "politics" is involved even if simply in a psychological sense.

On balance I'd say that broadly (though there may well be exception, nothing springs to mind) violence is political, usually associated with ideas about power and motive. But what is perhaps more interesting is the politicisation of violence, particularly on much larger scales when comparing cases...

NOTES:

1. There would be lots of pauses in between sentences.
    2. After reading the interviewer notes I think I did quite well.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Damn.
    :rofl:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    The question for my subject (History) is really hard and honestly I would have been stumped. I'm not good at politics related questions, I never know what to say. I would be able to answer the first half (I'd say yes, because organised violence has a motive and other than purely personal motives, most things have some form of political link).
    My above attempt at the history question might give you some clues. Though I don't know how good it is.

EDIT: This post has more thoughts (and potentially better ones:ninja:) on the same question.

ReputationRep:
    Due to the Edexcel English exams becoming similiar to literature exams from June 2019, I want to shift to Cambridge
    First Language English.but my school follows Edexcel. Can I sit for Cambridge English (CIE ) board exam while giving other
    subjects under Edexcel board? Is it possible to appear for exams under tow boards?

I hate the new Edexcel English syllabus!!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sansheen)
    Due to the Edexcel English exams becoming similiar to literature exams from June 2019, I want to shift to Cambridge
    First Language English.but my school follows Edexcel. Can I sit for Cambridge English (CIE ) board exam while giving other
    subjects under Edexcel board? Is it possible to appear for exams under tow boards?

I hate the new Edexcel English syllabus!!
    Only if you sit it at an external exam centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ummmmmmmm, I would be terrible at an Oxford interview

And ewwwww poetry :puke: (doing French poetry at A-level was not fun so no ty pls :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    NB. Often there's no right or wrong answer - it's your thinking they are interested in.
    That depends on the subject. For the technical questions in maths and science, there often is a correct answer (e.g. the pirate question given). However, you might not need to get it immediately. If you can verbalise your thought process then you can gradually work towards the answer. The tutors can then gently prod you when you get stuck.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    That depends on the subject. For the technical questions in maths and science, there often is a correct answer (e.g. the pirate question given). However, you might not need to get it immediately. If you can verbalise your thought process then you can gradually work towards the answer. The tutors can then gently prod you when you get stuck.
    Indeed, yes. And how you handle the prodding is also a key part of the interview.

ReputationRep:
    If a robot could give the better answers to those questions than the human candidates, should it be admitted to Oxford?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.