The Student Room Group

Will being homosexual send me to hell after death? Will my family hate me?

Hello everyone. I am a Christian however I am also a homosexual. I am afraid that my dad (who is extremely Catholic) would disown me if I came out to my family. I have tried on multiple occasions to cure myself but I cannot suppress my feelings for the male gender. Is this a trial from God? Or will I be sent to hell?

Scroll to see replies

Hell needs to exist to be sent there.
Reply 2
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Hell needs to exist to be sent there.

An interesting outlook. However I am conflicted because I am a Christian and gay. I can't help but feel that I will receive punishment for sinning
Original post by FredJhon
An interesting outlook. However I am conflicted because I am a Christian and gay. I can't help but feel that I will receive punishment for sinning

If God supposedly created you, how can he punish you, he would be ultimately responsible.
If God supposedly created you, how can he punish you, he would be ultimately responsible.

God gave us free will so we are still responsible for our actions. By your logic we can all do whatever we want, including things like murder, and just blame God.
Original post by Student-95
God gave us free will so we are still responsible for our actions. By your logic we can all do whatever we want, including things like murder, and just blame God.

I'm Atheist, so no that isn't my logic. But I fail to see how you can claim God created you in his image and guides you, yet believe he will punish you for wrong doings. Also by the time you die religion will be non-existent, don't worry about it.
I'm Atheist, so no that isn't my logic. But I fail to see how you can claim God created you in his image and guides you, yet believe he will punish you for wrong doings. Also by the time you die religion will be non-existent, don't worry about it.

I already answered that - we have free will. Creating =/= Controlling.
Your parents create and guide you but it's not all their fault if, despite their teachings, you decide to become a thief.
Hello everyone. I am a Christian however I am also a homosexual. I am afraid that my dad (who is extremely Catholic) would disown me if I came out to my family. I have tried on multiple occasions to cure myself but I cannot suppress my feelings for the male gender. Is this a trial from God? Or will I be sent to hell?

Two questions. First, what is inherently wrong with homsexuality? Nothing. Who does it harm? No one. There is no reason to believe that any deity would be displeased by homosexuality. Keep in mind that when such verses were written, it was a very different world.

Second, why would any deity create you with these desires only to prohibit them? That seems cruel and unusual, no?

I don't believe there is a god, but for gay Christians who do, there is a lot of literature out there purporting to show that it is not prohibited by the Bible, and that there is a history of such relationships in the Judeo-Christian tradition (David and Jonathan, and all that).

Also, an historian called John Boswell wrote a book about same-sex marriage in medieval Christian Europe. Here's a link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-Sex_Unions_in_Pre-Modern_Europe
Reply 8
IF gay people really did go to hell, that would not be a bad things since there will be loads of gays there and you can have endless parties while the bigoted haters will be in heaven annoying each other.

I'm not Christian but don't theists believe God created everything for a reason? So that must extend to God creating gay people. If your family disown you then there isn't really anything to do about it. That is your family's problem not yours. If you are still financially dependent on your family then wait to come put until you have a job and can move out.

There are also a lot of gay friendly churches that exist which you could go to. Maybe find other gay Christians through these churches who you can talk to.

Wouldn't worry about it. Even if you are religious, all this religious anti-gay stuff is ridiculous. The whole main idea of most religions promotes love that does no harm to others - and being gay is love that does no harm to others. Think about it, if Jesus was still alive, he obviously wouldn't be parading on the streets tormenting gay people.
Side note: I completely fail to understand why people have such an issue with something that does not concern their lives on any level, does not affect them, and does no harm. There's bigger problems in the world.

It can't be cured any more than you can cure your eye colour.Its who you are.There is lots of evidence to suggest that its not something anyone can choose.There are multiple figures throughout history who were gay/bisexual.To name a few Da vinci,Alexander the great,The roman emperor Hadrian, Michaelangelo. If it were just a passing phase or a fad then why would it be so common throughout history? If it were something you could choose then why are people gay even in the most homophobic societies? Why does the animal kingdom have so many examples of homosexuality if its a choice? So we've established its not a choice.And if its not a choice you make then how can a loving god punish you for it?And if he does punish you for it is he a loving god worthy of worship?
No because hell doesn’t exist.
Original post by Student-95

u r basically saying that we choose to be gay

I think you need to understand that you cant go to hell for something that is out of your control.
Isn't hell supposed to be a place where people are punished for sins that they commit? How is liking men a sin?
I don't think it says anywhere in any scripture that being in to your own kind is a sin.
I think the sin is probably going out and actually 'getting it on'. You know man on man.
But then you'd go to hell for getting it on with a woman too if it was outside of marriage...
Sooo, I say be happy as you are and
don't worry about your family. Also dont feel pressured to tell your dad if you arn't ready. Maybe tell your mum first and see how it goes
Best of luck!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No because hell doesn’t exist.

He is a Christian so he believes it does exist. You just elegies that it doesn't.
Original post by SamuraiMK
I think you need to understand that you cant go to hell for something that is out of your control.
Isn't hell supposed to be a place where people are punished for sins that they commit? How is liking men a sin?
I don't think it says anywhere in any scripture that being in to your own kind is a sin.
I think the sin is probably going out and actually 'getting it on'. You know man on man.
But then you'd go to hell for getting it on with a woman too if it was outside of marriage...
Sooo, I say be happy as you are and
don't worry about your family. Also dont feel pressured to tell your dad if you arn't ready. Maybe tell your mum first and see how it goes
Best of luck!

Why would two adults of the same sex having consensual sex be a sin? I’m yet to hear a religious person give a coherent explanation as to why this would be evil or harmful.
Original post by Maker
IF gay people really did go to hell, that would not be a bad things since there will be loads of gays there and you can have endless parties while the bigoted haters will be in heaven annoying each other.

I'm really sorry to hear you feel your dad would disown you if you came out - that must be really hard :frown:

Just :fyi: (you may know this but quite a few people don't, so it's always worth iterating!) in Roman Catholicism, being homosexual is not in itself a sin. The sin is homosexual sex. So being gay is not regarded a sin by the Church, unless you 'act' on it. I believe (though I may be wrong) that homosexual sex would come under the category of 'mortal sin' rather than 'venial sin'.

Is this a trial from God? Perhaps - perhaps not. None of us would be able to say for sure. Same as to whether you'd be sent to Hell for having sex with another man. Ultimately it's at God's discretion to decide who goes to Hell and who doesn't. The Church can't definitively say, one way or another.

As a fellow gay Catholic, I really feel for you :sadnod: Huge hugs :jumphug:

No you end up in china. If you don't believe me watch As above So below.

Quick Reply

Latest