Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will being homosexual send me to hell after death? Will my family hate me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    No, I criticised you for apparently dismissing my point through your personal ignorance. Implying that it is important that you have not heard of such an argument, as if you are some expert on the subject.

At times like these, I like to refer to my trusty Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy 2nd ed, p 240.

"But there may be reasons for recognizing a limitation on the class of true propositions that a being must know in order to be omniscient. For example, if there are true propositions about the future, omniscience would then include foreknowledge. But some philosophers have thought that foreknowledge of human actions is incompatible with those actions being free. This has led some to deny that there are truths about the future and others to deny that such truths are knowable. In the latter case, omniscience might be taken to be knowledge of all knowable truths. Or if God is eternal and if there are certain tensed or temporally indexical propositions that can be known only by someone who is in time, then omniscience presumably does not extend to such propositions."

I am not religious. I am just telling you this to explain the futility of thinking you have concrete proofs against the existence of God. Thousands of committed people have already "rebutted" your rebuttal, a millennium before you ever thought to make it. Why waste your time.
    That was secondary to my actual point, and since YOU referred to MY opinion, I made it clear that no such opinion had been presented to me to consider as regards this discussion. Pretty simple, imho.

You are conflating points. The passage you've linked is a criticism to the possibility of god being omniscient/criticism to the idea of omniscience itself in a descriptive and slightly analytic manner. I am dealing with another aspect now, having for this purpose fully accepted that god is omniscient as per the bible (not that I believe this to be true, but that I presume it as per the other poster). Your passage is, furthermore, very theoretical, and uses qualifiers for this reason. It would not be conclusive proof of anything.

As for your last paragraph I'm at a lot of what you're trying to say, since that is not the point I am making (i.e prove the non-existence of god).

I do not consider my time to be wasted here, hence I make my replies. Whether one wastes time or not is predominantly subjective, and is not for you to say. [This post, I'll admit, is a waste of time, since you've completely missed the point of the discussions and make me explain why...]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    You choose whether or not to act on homosexual urges, like a murder chooses to act on murderous urges. How can God be mad when he gave the murderers murderous urges?
    God gave humans free will so whatever they do (murderous intent) thats them and not God's fault
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    If God supposedly created you, how can he punish you, he would be ultimately responsible.
    God gave us free will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelStarfire)
    God gave humans free will so whatever they do (murderous intent) thats them and not God's fault
    No its directly gods fault.God knows all by definition.So he knew before he created them that they would murder.So why create them at all? Just to send them to hell?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm Christian as well but I honestly don't know how I should answer your question. All I can say is that no one here can truly decide whether you go to Hell or not it's all up to God. So please just stay strong and don't beat yourself up about it too much. Just pray to God and have a conversation with him (^~^) Just like someone said earlier, God loves you, no matter what!

ReputationRep:
    As a Catholic myself, I know what you’re feeling with the conflict. But, I was brought up to believe that God loves you no matter what. Your feelings are your feelings and if your parents can’t accept that, they aren’t good Christians. We’re told to love everyone and support everyone, disowning you is the opposite of that. You’re not a sin. Being gay isn’t a sin and God doesn’t hate you. We’re made in God’s image and surely, if we’re in his image, being gay isn’t wrong. Faith isn’t all direct and one way, it’s open to interpretation and unfortunately some people, like your parents, don’t realise that God wants you to love everyone. If you ever need to talk, my messages are open. Being gay, straight, whatever you are - is out of your control. God made us in his image - of course it isn’t a sin.

ReputationRep:
    God gave us free will so we are still responsible for our actions. By your logic we can all do whatever we want, including things like murder, and just blame God.
    Your logic makes sense, and as a believer in God, I completely agree. However I'd like to suggest that not all things are down to free will. While the majority of our actions are free will, such as murder, issues like homosexuality aren't. I'm sure that given the option, many religious homosexuals, (or others) including OP, would change their sexuality in a heart beat. As we can see from the cures OP has tried, they don't work and they cannot be changed. I personally believe we're all responsible for our actions however God is the reason behind homosexuality.

Answering your question OP, you won't end up in hell. You didn't choose to be gay, and I'm sure God loves you all the same. He created you, after all. I'm probably gonna get a lot of unpopular opinions but think of it this way: yes, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong, but in the same way, blending fabrics, eating pig and getting tattoos is also wrong among other things. Yet we see them as acceptable. Why isn't homosexuality the same?

Your best bet, OP, is to come to terms with the fact that you love men and value your mental health over everything else. I hope you reach a point where you accept yourself and reach a happy place. As for your family, it might be better to hide from them for the time being. Focus on accepting yourself first and then worry about your parents. All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confuseeed)
    Your logic makes sense, and as a believer in God, I completely agree. However I'd like to suggest that not all things are down to free will. While the majority of our actions are free will, such as murder, issues like homosexuality aren't. I'm sure that given the option, many religious homosexuals, (or others) including OP, would change their sexuality in a heart beat. As we can see from the cures OP has tried, they don't work and they cannot be changed. I personally believe we're all responsible for our actions however God is the reason behind homosexuality.

Answering your question OP, you won't end up in hell. You didn't choose to be gay, and I'm sure God loves you all the same. He created you, after all. I'm probably gonna get a lot of unpopular opinions but think of it this way: yes, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong, but in the same way, blending fabrics, eating pig and getting tattoos is also wrong among other things. Yet we see them as acceptable. Why isn't homosexuality the same?

Your best bet, OP, is to come to terms with the fact that you love men and value your mental health over everything else. I hope you reach a point where you accept yourself and reach a happy place. As for your family, it might be better to hide from them for the time being. Focus on accepting yourself first and then worry about your parents. All the best
    Why is God responsible for homosexuality but not murderous urges? Do you think God is also responsible for things like paedophilia?

ReputationRep:
    Why is God responsible for homosexuality but not murderous urges? Do you think God is also responsible for things like paedophilia?
    Those are interesting questions that I didn't really consider before. I may or may not be wrong, so please feel free to correct me. Also, these are my opinions so I'm not saying they're the absolute truth, I'm open to new ideas. I'm also not heavily religious, I don't let religion influence my
    life and I don't argue about it often.

For murderous urges - I don't know if God is responsible for them, to answer your question directly, however we usually (not always) have the free will to decide if we're going to act upon them or not. I don't have murderous urges so idk but I believe that you can live without committing a crime, it's not a necessity. Whereas something like homosexuality, a companionship is something most, if not all, humans want and loneliness can actually affect someone quite a bit. Homosexuality cant really be avoided because if you do try, you might end up harming yourself because you're depriving yourself of love (again, not everyone. It depends on the kind of person you are). With murder, if you avoid it and don't kill anyone, it won't play that big of a role in your life. Of course, you may have really bad urges and that may take a toll on your life but visiting a therapist or something might solve that, whereas homosexuality can't be solved with therapy. I also think nurture comes into play a lot with murder, but not so much with homosexuality. I know people who were raised as very masculine, and they still are, yet they're homosexual, which suggests that nurture doesn't really play much of a role in homosexuality.

As for paedophilia. That's a difficult one. Again, I don't know if God's responsible and I cant say paedophilia is down to nurture (although in some cases it is, but most of them it's not) but I guess that's when morals come into play. I don't believe there's anything wrong with homosexuality but I think most of us agree that it's morally wrong to harm a child, so I guess paedophiles need to be aware of the fact that it's wrong and do their best to avoid harming a kid, whereas with homosexuals they're not harming anybody so there's not much that's wrong. I'm being a hypocrite right now, but it's difficult. I did say that homosexuals can't be deprived of love and now I'm saying that paedophiles should deprive themselves of what they're attracted to, and I guess the reason for that is, once again, homosexuals aren't harming anybody but paedophiles are ruining the life of a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredJhon)
    Hello everyone. I am a Christian however I am also a homosexual. I am afraid that my dad (who is extremely Catholic) would disown me if I came out to my family. I have tried on multiple occasions to cure myself but I cannot suppress my feelings for the male gender. Is this a trial from God? Or will I be sent to hell?
    First of all, I'm pretty sure Gods whole thing is to love people. I doubt that you will be sent to hell just for loving someone: love has no genders etc. There are actually some homosexual churches, eg. so you can practice your religion in a safe place and not feel judged. Have you came out to any of your friends? If so then they will probably have a better idea of how your family will react. Maybe bring up the subject of homosexuality to see where your family stands on the matter. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.