Amylouise54x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anyone has any tips on how to structure English lit essays? How to introduce and conclude? As well how to structure sentences? Thank You
h.findlay321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't do the AQA exam board but I did Edexcel A Level English lit and came out with an A at the end of 2 years, and was 2 marks off of an A*.

For my essays I would outline the whole of my essay in the introduction without going into any detail. I would then allocate one paragraph per point and begin by stating my point in the first sentence. I would then back up my point with lots of evidence from the texts/books/etc such as quotes. In order to strengthen my essay, I would try to include at least one critical quote or piece of evidence in each paragraph and back up my paragraph with context. For example, if you were studying a book set in Nigeria in the civil war, bring in context from that period of time in Nigeria that supports the book and your points.

For the conclusion, try to bring your essay to a close. You don't necessarily have to come to a specific conclusion but tie together any loose ends and perhaps bring in a short but separate point that closes your essay well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (193)
29.65%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.59%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.91%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.29%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.83%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.66%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.84%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.23%

Watched Threads