The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni after a month

I don't enjoy my course so I tried to swap courses and still don't enjoy my new course. I started to look at apprenticeships in my hometown and today I got offered one but I'm not sure if I will need to repay the uni or student finance for anything? I thought I didn't have to pay anything back until I earn more than £21,000? I also don't know if I'll be happier leaving because I really enjoy living in a bigger city but I don't like my course.
Original post by Brixey52
I don't enjoy my course so I tried to swap courses and still don't enjoy my new course. I started to look at apprenticeships in my hometown and today I got offered one but I'm not sure if I will need to repay the uni or student finance for anything? I thought I didn't have to pay anything back until I earn more than £21,000? I also don't know if I'll be happier leaving because I really enjoy living in a bigger city but I don't like my course.

If you leave halfway between maintenance payments then once SLC get notification that you've withdrawn they'll calculate how much of your living costs loan was for the weeks after you left (but before the next payment in January). They'll then write to you explaining how much they've determined is an "overpayment" and ask you to get in touch with them about repaying it asap. They're very reasonable about this - they'll often accept you repaying in instalments or in cases of genuine hardship they may agree to the overpayments to be added to you student loan debt for repayment once you're earning over £21k.

Your tuition fees should be fine - talk to your university to make sure that all the fees you're liable for will be covered by the 25% that SLC will have paid to your university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending