The Student Room Group

What is Marxism? and how is it presented in The Great Gatsby?

I don't take sociology so I'm finding this difficult.
Reply 1
lalalalala
Reply 2
Reply 3

how is it linked to tgg though, i cant find that.
Original post by soIiIoquy
how is it linked to tgg though, i cant find that.

If only there were a place where you could google 'Marxism and the Great Gatsby'.

I can't think of a place, though, so I think you're out of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by ThatOldGuy
If only there were a place where you could google 'Marxism and the Great Gatsby'.

I can't think of a place, though, so I think you're out of luck.

:redface:igiveup
(edited 6 years ago)
So quick lowdown on Marxism in general:

Argues that economics is the driving force behind society.
Examine the inequality of class and society (i.e. the power struggle between upper, lower, and middle class, rich vs. poor, owners vs. workers), oppression

So in TGG this can be seen with Gatsby and his struggle to gain power and move higher up the social hierarchy as he is coming from new money , not old like everyone else/ Also the fact that Gatsby knows or feels he must be of a higher position in society so that he can be worthy or approved of Daisy's love? / Can be seen with Daisy and how materialistic she is hence why she stays with Tom / Could make some reference to the Valley of Ashes where Myrtle and George live unhappily trying to get out of the place/ Could compare the life of Daisy to that of Myrtle all because of class and wealth? / Everything in Gatsby and everyone is about money, class and materialism and ultimately without it, you couldn't be apart of TGG world

Hope this helped a bit!
Reply 7
Original post by sylviarose
So quick lowdown on Marxism in general:

Argues that economics is the driving force behind society.
Examine the inequality of class and society (i.e. the power struggle between upper, lower, and middle class, rich vs. poor, owners vs. workers), oppression

So in TGG this can be seen with Gatsby and his struggle to gain power and move higher up the social hierarchy as he is coming from new money , not old like everyone else/ Also the fact that Gatsby knows or feels he must be of a higher position in society so that he can be worthy or approved of Daisy's love? / Can be seen with Daisy and how materialistic she is hence why she stays with Tom / Could make some reference to the Valley of Ashes where Myrtle and George live unhappily trying to get out of the place/ Could compare the life of Daisy to that of Myrtle all because of class and wealth? / Everything in Gatsby and everyone is about money, class and materialism and ultimately without it, you couldn't be apart of TGG world

Hope this helped a bit!

Ahh i see, thank you,

also, how does ithis approach affect Tom Buchanan? ???
Tom is one of those of the upper class...in comparison to someone like George Wilson , who is practically working for him to fix his car you could look at the differences in lifestyle of the two men? It's kinda a owners vs. workers type thing i guess. Because all George needs is for Tom to buy this car he's been working which would allow him and his wife Myrtle to get out of the Valley of Ashes..but Tom is continuously saying he will buy it and ends up not buying it ...so it literally takes being of a higher class and wealthy in society to allow you to control someone else's position in society which relates to inequality of society
Original post by soIiIoquy
Ahh i see, thank you,

also, how does ithis approach affect Tom Buchanan? ???
Reply 9
Original post by sylviarose
Tom is one of those of the upper class...in comparison to someone like George Wilson , who is practically working for him to fix his car you could look at the differences in lifestyle of the two men? It's kinda a owners vs. workers type thing i guess. Because all George needs is for Tom to buy this car he's been working which would allow him and his wife Myrtle to get out of the Valley of Ashes..but Tom is continuously saying he will buy it and ends up not buying it ...so it literally takes being of a higher class and wealthy in society to allow you to control someone else's position in society which relates to inequality of society

ahhh right , got it

thank you <3<3<3

Quick Reply

Latest